Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steyr M40

Folks - I walked into my FLD this afternoon mainly because his wife does my taxes, and I needed some info for my FEMA/SBA loan. Honest, I wasn't planning on buying a gun. :rolleyes: I saw he had an apparently unfired Steyr M40, marked at $279. I've been wanting a .40 S&W to play with...I ended up walking out the door with the gun, three ten round mags in the factory box, and two boxes of Remington hardball for it for under $300 including tax.

I'd appreciate some help getting set up with this roscoe. I've already found out that CDNN has factory ten round mags for $10 each, so that's covered.

Who makes holsters for this gun? I'm looking for something that I could use for IDPA and concealed carry. Either kydex or leather is fine.

Who makes post and notch replacement sights for the Steyrs? I'd prefer a white dot or plain black rear sight and a tritium front.

Does this thing have any weird tastes in ammo and bullets? I'l probably go with cast bullets for practice, and jacketed/plated for competition. I'm planning on staying with the 180 grain weight unless the gun tells me different, and probably load them to factory velocity.

Whose lights fit the grooves on the dust cover - are they standard or proprietary?

TIA!

Sure wish my memory was better..I had a M9 a couple of years ago..that I shot a couple of production classifiers with...

I believe I used Kytac mag pouches...but I do not remember the holster I used..

I had my local gunsmith fit a set of Heinie Slant pros to the rear and fit a dovetail front sight to the front.. he did a really nice job..

if I remember more..I will let you know..

I own an M9 and M40; the latter is my primary carry gun.

If you order it with the factory Night Sights, they are post & notch.

As EERW points out, a gunsmith can make Heinie Slant pros fit & look as if they were made for the M40. My M40 is unmodified.

The finish is Tennifer (no surprise, its an Austrian gun).

The frame is deceiving; it is more of a steel chasis wrapped in plastic (a little like an STI/SV) but for certain, the pins ride inside the steel chasis; the gripframe is polymer.

The traditional rifling allows use of lead bullets; I have also shot Montanas, plated, jacketed, etc.

The barrel has excellent support; I have fired 9Major ammo out of the M9 in the form of the Hirtenberger L7A1, though it fell below Major in the shorter barrel.

Tom Freeman of the U.S. Air Force Shooting Team earned his Master card with a Steyr M9. It is an often overlooked option for Production or for IDPA.

I own an M9 and M40; the latter is my primary carry gun.
Carlos - What holster do you use to carry it in? I've been surfing, and production holsters are kinda sparse. Do you think it would fit in a Safariland 561?

Yup, I've already been to their site. ;) So do Hoffener and Haugen and FIST and a few others. No luck with Comp-Tac and CenDex though. I was just hoping I'd find a ready-made production holster. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? :D

Edited by Duane Thomas

WWW.STEYRCLUB.COM and Glocktalk's Steyr forum are great resources for these pistols.

I've shot an S9 (compact 9mm version) a little, thats still about half my total shooting experience though. Really nice if a little small. Moved to a G17 while I'm learning this sport.

That being said, if/when Steyr comes out with a longslide/comp version, I'd be all over it.

After all, a comfortable arrow helps the indian, right?

Supposedly they are ramping up US resources to become a player by the SHOT show.

-Dale

" Really nice if a little small. . . .That being said, if/when Steyr comes out with a longslide/comp version, I'd be all over it."

Agreed. What size in the M40/M9? Nearly identical to my Glock 19. The Glock 19 is not the most popular sized Glock for Production.

The grip on the Steyr is VERY small though; I think it is THE polymer gun for those with small hands

• 3 years later...

Me too. I ordered the 40 with night sights (post & notch). The 9 I own has a different front - I think I might have used the front sight off a Sig with the odd Steyr rear, but its been a long time.

Chuck:

Just a heads up for you. I don't want to sway your purchase in any way whatsoever. I have owned a Steyr as well as a couple friends of mine. All of us have had horrible experiences with the 40 cal. This was not the old style Steyr either. It was the Steyr M40. The gun was very cheap, brand new and seemed to be extremely ergonomic. Low bore axis, neat triangular sights, and easy maintenance. After two hundred rounds through this gun of factory ammo the striker snapped. The people at Steyr are very good though and offered to fix the problem or send out new strikers. We decided to return it and get into Glock mode instead. My friends who had the OLD model Steyrs have had numerous problems with factory parts and factory mags, factory ammo. The reason I love Glock so much is because the availability of so many after market components for reasonable prices and are available pretty much everywhere. Glock has had their issues and horror stories from the factory no doubt, but I have never experienced any out of the ones I own.

If you end up purchasing the firearm the Steyr forum is decent. One man made his own kydex holsters and mag pouches from simple materials. One man sells custom made mag pouches and holsters on that forum as well. I will try to find you his screenname.

Good luck!

Edited by PINMAN44

• 2 months later...
Rev - How did it go? As this thread is 3 years old now I'm guessing you figured it out? ;)

Well, I've been off this forum for a while, sorry for the delay! I fixed the gun to where it was 100% (1911 plunger spring inside the extractor spring), and it ran really well. I finally gave up on it due to the grip angle, and traded it on an M&P .40 FS. That M&P, as well as the 9x19 and .45 ACP versions I bought later, is 100% as-is.

• 5 months later...

I had both the M9 and M40 a few years back. I had a Ready Tactical paddle and Blade Tech IWB. My opinion is it could have been a great gun. Unfortunately neither were reliable and I am glad to rid of them. I will never buy a Steyr product again.

• 1 year later...

Sure wish my memory was better..I had a M9 a couple of years ago..that I shot a couple of production classifiers with...

I believe I used Kytac mag pouches...but I do not remember the holster I used..

I had my local gunsmith fit a set of Heinie Slant pros to the rear and fit a dovetail front sight to the front.. he did a really nice job..

if I remember more..I will let you know..

I seem to recall PT made a tradition set if sights for these pistols.

Yes and I have a few sets. But PT went out of business 3 years ago or so. They also kept one of my 1911 slides when they went out of business, a nice touch.

I seem to recall PT made a tradition set if sights for these pistols.

Yes and I have a few sets. But PT went out of business 3 years ago or so. They also kept one of my 1911 slides when they went out of business, a nice touch.

Sorry to hear they did that to you. I didn't know they had went out of business.