Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Feeding issues

Drmike

Hi, I just recently shot a match and had two malfunctions that I suspect are due to magazine springs weakening.  The mags are new last year, but I (foolishly) brought my dryfire mags (same age) to the match as well as my regular mags.  In one instance, I had a round feed backward causing a loss of about 4 seconds to clear it.  I unload and reload the mags used after each stage, so I know it wasn't loaded backward.  On the next stage, as I was about to stuff my reload, I noticed that the top round was pointing straight up when going into the magwell.  The gun is an STI DVC LTD in 40SW.  I am unsure of whether this is a mag spring or feed lip issue.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I know lots of people recommend changing mag springs, often - they are inexpensive.

BUT, I've had mag springs last for Many Years, without changing them.

I agree.  I've used the same mags with the same springs for probably 4 years now, and I typically shoot 300-400 rounds a week.  So that's somewhere betwee 60k and 80k rounds with zero issues and they're still running fine.  I think zzt is right, it's the feed lips.

Thanks guys.  Glad to hear.  I ordered backup springs but will check the feed lips per spec and adjust all as necessary.  Likely some are spreading from dryfire practice with fully loaded mags.

BTW ltdmstr, thanks for the tips regarding Rollsizing.  I am now processing all brass with Rollsizer followed by Redding Competition Titanium dies per your recommendation and have zero feed issues and everything passes the case gauge.

Edited by Drmike