Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 Over Indexing

Hello all,

I recently picked up a basically brand new 1050 from a friend of a friend. I have been trying to get used to the press and figure everything out. I ran about 1000 pieces of brass for processing with out any problems yesterday. Today when I went to continue I had a problem with the ratchet on the press catching too soon and not allowing me to move the shell plate up, so in my problem solving I loosened the shell plate and retightened it. Finally figured that out from a different thread on here and tightened the detent screw. But now, my shell plate is over indexing unless I cycle the press very slowly. So if I do anything more than a slow cycle the shell plate will over rotate and I need to manually rotate the shell back into place so the tool head can come down. I have tried every adjustment of the shell plate from having the shell plate overly loose, to so tight it will barely turn but i have the problem no matter what. I have now run out of ideas on what to try and I cannot find anything on this forum, or the rest of the internet which surprises me. So, if no one on here knows how to fix this i will be calling Dillon tomorrow. Any help is apprecitaed.

Only time I have had that problem I tried one of those derlin detent balls under the shell plate.

, ( remove shell plate the ball under it  may be sticking for some reason) 

Edited by AHI

53 minutes ago, AHI said:

Only time I have had that problem I tried one of those derlin detent balls under the shell plate.

, ( remove shell plate the ball under it  may be sticking for some reason) 

AHI,

did the delrin ball help? I ended up adding a couple of washers underneath the ball/spring to add more tension and it helped, but it still over rotates when I try and go fast. But at what i would consider a normal, leisurely speed it works fine which it didn't before so it seems to be related to the ball stopping it from rotating. 

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Do you have the correct spring under the detent ball?  And is it installed correctly?  Also, does the machine do this when you have cases in the shell plate?

I can only assume the correct spring is installed, I did not assembly the press myself, it had roughly 400 rounds on it when i got it. Yes, the shell plate will over rotate when there are no cases in the shell plate. It happens about 10% less, but still happens a lot. 

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

There is an indexing adjustment at the 11 o'clock position on the side of the base.. From what you wrote it sounds like you need to screw it in a bit. The shell plate should stop when the dentist ball is in the plate hole.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/238095-1050-indexing-adjustments/

This. The small allen screw in the left side of the base is where you want to look.

After you adjust the travel screw try not to slam the handle in the up position.  I've found that when I near the top of the handle stroke I slow down and just bump the end of the stroke.  It helps prevent powder spillage on some of the loads.  The wire tie trick to stabilize cases between powder drop and bullet seating also adds some friction that will help prevent over indexing.  

There is an indexing adjustment at the 11 o'clock position on the side of the base.. From what you wrote it sounds like you need to screw it in a bit. The shell plate should stop when the dentist ball is in the plate hole.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/238095-1050-indexing-adjustments/

HesedTech, thanks for that link. I was able to adjust the screw a bit, but it didn’t seem to make much difference, I think it was set pretty good already. It seems to be an issue with too much momentum for the spring and ball to catch the shell plate before it over rotates. If I cycle the handle slowly I don’t have a problem and actually worked through A couple thousand rounds yesterday going slower than I would like. But when I look at guys running auto drives, they’re at twice the speed I would be cycling it when I get the over rotation problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After you adjust the travel screw try not to slam the handle in the up position.  I've found that when I near the top of the handle stroke I slow down and just bump the end of the stroke.  It helps prevent powder spillage on some of the loads.  The wire tie trick to stabilize cases between powder drop and bullet seating also adds some friction that will help prevent over indexing.  

Thanks pmiya, good to know. As I run more rounds through it I’m starting to find that too. I just am not able to run the press as fast as i would like/as fast as it seems like I should compared to others in videos IV seen and guys with auto drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try posting this issue over on the Ammobot facebook group.

Those guys are pretty good at debugging 1050 issues due to trying to run automated at high speeds.

It is a private group but it would be worth joining because those guys really stress their presses and have experience dealing with the resulting side effects.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AmmoBotOwners/?ref=bookmarks

Looking4

I use the Ammobot with my 1050 and after adjusting the index as mentioned in the link never had a problem with over indexing. I use the stock ball detent and spring and several shell plates and they all work great. I load at 1700 RPH and size and deprive at 2700 RPH. This all works with 9mm, 40, 45 and I slow down the loading for 223 to about half of the pistol. 

What I would suggest is to set the index stop until the shell plate under indexes and then slowly let it out till the plate stops where you want.

BTW no problems when running the press manually either. 

shell plate is too loose is where i would start. By not being tight enough, its allowing the shell plate to "fling" over the spring ball detent

adjust the overtravel bolt in the 11 o clock position

start with those two and you'll be good to go.

The autodrive guys dont have this issue once the home switch is properly set, since the drive slows at "home"