Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Domina Xtreme

Whoops!

Got a 9mm Domina Xtreme in.  

Pros:

It's the most ready to shoot factory tuned open gun I've ever purchased.

Barrel and compensator fit were perfect.  It's rare to find a factory gun with an appropriate compensator gap between the comp and the slide.  No play at all in the stainless bull barrel - zero.  Consistent gap around the comp.

The side ports in the comp are legit.  The middle one is reverse canted (toward the shooter), I believe that middle, reverse canted side port plays a large role in helping the gun track straight.  But also - with the size of the openings in the comp, there is a lot of surface area for gas to press against.  

With the updated, stroked slide design and the Tanfoglio Italy mount on top - the gun throws major PF brass in a perfect arc every time.  No mount impact.  

The nano ceramic finish is lubricious.  The slide feels very smooth.  

I changed out recoil springs to almost everything you can imagine.  Fixed spring, progressive spring, lightest weight imaginable.

It's the only gun I've used for competition where in the end - I decided to use the recoil spring that came stock in the gun.  It feels very similar to an 8 pound, standard slide spring.

Using "Major" powder with 124's, the gun returns to center almost perfectly every shot.  I wish I could video tape what my eyes see.  The track is very straight and there is just the slightest dip as the slide returns to battery.  A dip which would cause about a 2 inch drop at 10 yards if the trigger is pressed before your grip compensates for the dip.  So, just a tad faster powder (like 3n38) or a tad higher power factor would likely be perfectly neutral after the recoil cycle  

It was very obviously tuned for around a 170 power factor load (as a whole - the comp, the recoil spring, the stroke, the hammer spring).  

Tanfos almost always have extraction issues from the factory.

This one seems to have a perfectly tuned extractor from the factory.  The only thing I did, without any prompting, was put in a fresh extractor spring.  I usually put in an extra power extractor spring with any new Tanfo, but this one would not fit an extra power spring.

2.5 pound trigger as measured from the center of the trigger blade - with full power trigger and sear springs.  Very crisp. It's obvious the sear angle was cut and polished after the sear was produced.

Came with a European, large frame 170mm mag and 4 factory length mags with xtreme basepads

Came with an xtreme firing pin block fitted perfectly to the gun.  A lot of people don't view this as a plus, but I don't want the gun going off if I drop it.  I'm willing to accept just a tad longer trigger pull for a firing pin block.   

Cons:

Like all Tanfo's, it has a short 9mm chamber.  Using my 124's, the longest I should load is around 1.148."  That means hollow points should be around 1.08"

The factory mag feed lip angle doesn't like hollow points.  It puts them into the barrel hood.  But, they feed round nose like butter.  I use Montana Gold CMJ's.

I would prefer the slide to frame fit to be tighter.  Considering how well the barrel is fit, I almost believe it is intentional to have a little play so the slide doesn't bind regardless of temperature/environment.  But, I'd rather have a bank vault slide fit.  

Hard chrome is a more durable finish than the nano ceramic.  I know it's not advertised to be, but I can say this with certainty. 

Why would they put stickers on the grips?  I was hoping for paint or hydro graphics or . . . anything but stickers.

I'm impressed.  Tanfos have always required me to do a lot of work to make them reliable.  This Domina Xtreme did not.  Further than that, it came from the factory with a supposed lifetime warranty.  Will have to see what they ask me about ammo if I ever have to use it.

Overall, I can't think of a practical reason to buy a different open gun.  I've shot everything.  If you're just looking to compete with major loads in USPSA or IPSC - most all of what is paid for beyond this is aesthetics.  

Edited by Whoops!

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Thanks for the detailed review.

Have you shot other Tanfo open guns before? Can you compare if you did.

Sure.

It’s quite an easy comparison actually.

The Gold Team is lighter and better balanced with its aluminum comp setup and use of porting instead of a fat brake.

So - it transitions better.

The heavy ass Domina handles major loads better.  It feels like a Gold Team shooting minor when major loads are used.  A well setup Gold Team shooting major is more violent than the Domina.

So - if you mostly do steel challenge - Gold Team.

If you mostly shoot major USPSA or IPSC matches - Domina.

The Domina shoots very similar to a new Strayer Voigt IMM.  The Gold Team shoots like a lightweight Czechmate.

That being said, Gold Teams always require much more work out of the box (even xtreme Gold Teams).  I will have a properly setup one for sale soon at a good price.

I thought my GT was flat but compared to my atlas that GT was straight junk! I’ve heard the Domina was light years better I’d have to shoot one to know the difference but a great comparison for sure! Thank you for your input and great review , I wish more were readily available to hold and feel. But at the same price at a customs built 20111 hard presssed to see anyone running these soon. 

On 6/14/2020 at 1:24 AM, Whoops! said:

Got a 9mm Domina Xtreme in.  

Pros:

It's the most ready to shoot factory tuned open gun I've ever purchased.

Barrel and compensator fit were perfect.  It's rare to find a factory gun with an appropriate compensator gap between the comp and the slide.  No play at all in the stainless bull barrel - zero.  Consistent gap around the comp.

The side ports in the comp are legit.  The middle one is reverse canted (toward the shooter), I believe that middle, reverse canted side port plays a large role in helping the gun track straight.  But also - with the size of the openings in the comp, there is a lot of surface area for gas to press against.  

With the updated, stroked slide design and the Tanfoglio Italy mount on top - the gun throws major PF brass in a perfect arc every time.  No mount impact.  

The nano ceramic finish is lubricious.  The slide feels very smooth.  

I changed out recoil springs to almost everything you can imagine.  Fixed spring, progressive spring, lightest weight imaginable.

It's the only gun I've used for competition where in the end - I decided to use the recoil spring that came stock in the gun.  It feels very similar to an 8 pound, standard slide spring.

Using "Major" powder with 124's, the gun returns to center almost perfectly every shot.  I wish I could video tape what my eyes see.  The track is very straight and there is just the slightest dip as the slide returns to battery.  A dip which would cause about a 2 inch drop at 10 yards if the trigger is pressed before your grip compensates for the dip.  So, just a tad faster powder (like 3n38) or a tad higher power factor would likely be perfectly neutral after the recoil cycle  

It was very obviously tuned for around a 170 power factor load (as a whole - the comp, the recoil spring, the stroke, the hammer spring).  

Tanfos almost always have extraction issues from the factory.

This one seems to have a perfectly tuned extractor from the factory.  The only thing I did, without any prompting, was put in a fresh extractor spring.  I usually put in an extra power extractor spring with any new Tanfo, but this one would not fit an extra power spring.

2.5 pound trigger as measured from the center of the trigger blade - with full power trigger and sear springs.  Very crisp. It's obvious the sear angle was cut and polished after the sear was produced.

Came with a European, large frame 170mm mag and 4 factory length mags with xtreme basepads

Came with an xtreme firing pin block fitted perfectly to the gun.  A lot of people don't view this as a plus, but I don't want the gun going off if I drop it.  I'm willing to accept just a tad longer trigger pull for a firing pin block.   

Cons:

Like all Tanfo's, it has a short 9mm chamber.  Using my 124's, the longest I should load is around 1.148."  That means hollow points should be around 1.08"

The factory mag feed lip angle doesn't like hollow points.  It puts them into the barrel hood.  But, they feed round nose like butter.  I use Montana Gold CMJ's.

I would prefer the slide to frame fit to be tighter.  Considering how well the barrel is fit, I almost believe it is intentional to have a little play so the slide doesn't bind regardless of temperature/environment.  But, I'd rather have a bank vault slide fit.  

Hard chrome is a more durable finish than the nano ceramic.  I know it's not advertised to be, but I can say this with certainty. 

Why would they put stickers on the grips?  I was hoping for paint or hydro graphics or . . . anything but stickers.

I'm impressed.  Tanfos have always required me to do a lot of work to make them reliable.  This Domina Xtreme did not.  Further than that, it came from the factory with a supposed lifetime warranty.  Will have to see what they ask me about ammo if I ever have to use it.

Overall, I can't think of a practical reason to buy a different open gun.  I've shot everything.  If you're just looking to compete with major loads in USPSA or IPSC - most all of what is paid for beyond this is aesthetics.  

Pictures would be nice :) 

On 6/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, chgofirefighter said:

Pictures would be nice :) 

No good pics right now, but I’ll post some vids of me shooting it soon.

Honestly, not impressed with Atlas, they don’t put enough compensation in their guns.  If you stroke a Gold Team and put in a light recoil spring - I prefer the Gold Team.

Akai and Strayer Voigt (in their 4 port models) make a better product.

371CDB7D-79F4-4BB2-9A0B-83A99B8D4D93.jpeg

8CCF6184-11DA-48DA-823D-3D6957CF7224.jpeg

10 hours ago, Whoops! said:

Honestly, not impressed with Atlas, they don’t put enough compensation in their guns.  If you stroke a Gold Team and put in a light recoil spring - I prefer the Gold Team.

Wow, gorgeous! 

On 6/22/2020 at 6:31 PM, RGC said:

Love to see some live fire videos.

Did it come with a 170 mag?

It did come with one 😄.

I’ll post some up soon.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:12 PM, Aslan1014 said:

Did it come with the thumb rest?

It did not.

Also, had my first issue with it today.

The mag feed lips spread too far apart on the 170mm mags (other mags were still factory dimensions).

They spread to .360” and that width caused double feeds.

In my experience, ideal width is about .348”

Pair of non-serrated pliers fixed them.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Colby_Bedell said:

Would you recommend the gun to a person who is wanting to get into Open? I've been kinda just looking around at some options.

I love Tanfoglios but if your just getting into Open get a 2011, buy used if that's what your budget needs but get a 2011. 

the reason,

when you go to a match with a 2011, 99% of the other competitors are also running 2011's and can help you with whatever issues you may have come up and there are likely enough parts in various peoples bags to almost make a new one from scratch and for sure there are several backup guns that you could probably borrow in a pinch, shoot a Tanfoglio and if you have a issue you will have to solve it your self with whatever parts you brought.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:31 AM, MikeBurgess said:

I love Tanfoglios but if your just getting into Open get a 2011, buy used if that's what your budget needs but get a 2011. 

the reason,

when you go to a match with a 2011, 99% of the other competitors are also running 2011's and can help you with whatever issues you may have come up and there are likely enough parts in various peoples bags to almost make a new one from scratch and for sure there are several backup guns that you could probably borrow in a pinch, shoot a Tanfoglio and if you have a issue you will have to solve it your self with whatever parts you brought.

Good solid point... Very well stated! You're limiting yourself with a Tanfo, whereas a 2011 you're not...  

• 2 weeks later...

Someone pm’d me the same question, so I figured I would go ahead and post my answer here.  Didn’t realize it was asked here as well.

I’ve had lots of both platforms.  Tanfo’s are easier to work on and replace parts.

More important than that though, it seems like the metallurgy is more consistent with Tanfos nowadays.  I’ve seen and heard of way too many 2011 parts breaking.

In the end, people can kick butt with either platform.  

If I were going to get a 2011 right now, I’d get a Razorcat because Lim’s use of gasses to control recoil is top tier and I haven’t seen his parts breaking as much (he sources his own metal to make his parts).

JJ and KC both use Lim exclusively for their 2011 open guns.

But, I didn’t spend the extra 3k (considering magazines as well) because Grauffel can beat both of them with a Domina.  

And with a Stock II.

Tanfo has the honor of making a competitive open gun as well as the most competitive production/carry optic gun.

And those are the main reasons I’m sticking with Tanfo.  I don’t see myself buying another 2011 ever again.  But, I will strongly consider the Laugo Arms Alien when it reaches full production.

What I usually do is put the manufacturer sku into wikiarms and go with the least expensive option that pops up.

Edited by Whoops!

• 3 months later...

Update:

Extractor spring became too weak - ended up cutting one coil off an extra power extractor spring and putting it in there.

EAA won’t sell spare barrels or comps - even though spare comps can be bought through Patriot Defense.  I wanted an extra barrel so I could also shoot 38 super - no go.  I asked about replacement barrels and they said I would have to send the whole gun in and could only have the barrel replaced.

This isn’t the first issue I’ve had with EAA - from grip stickers on Xtremes, to Gold Teams not working from the factory and having to be stroked, to barrel timing issues causing peening.

It would be nice if IFG started selling open Tanfos.

I’m still waiting on my camera lady so I can make a comparison video - but it’s not going to be a stock comparison.  I ended up porting my Domina because I needed just a tad more recoil control to keep .1 and under splits on target.

I also hard chromed it because the Cerakote from the factory scratched way too easily.

Also, on all my extra wide safety Tanfos - I changed the safeties to normal wide like those found on the Stock II.  I noticed a proper high grip would bump the safety a little too much on 9 major recoil - causing the trigger pull to be a lot heavier.

Forgot to mention - I’m getting really good at hammering Tanfo frames in order to tighten slide to frame fit.  I do the frame instead of the slide because then only the lock-up part of slide travel is tight as opposed to the whole slide travel.  Done correctly, and with a ton of whacks like a Samurai sword, it holds tight, slides smooth, and lasts a while.

Edited by Whoops!

• 11 months later...

Hello

I just purchase the Tanfoglio Witness Domina Xtreme in 9mm.  My gun did not come with optics or mounts or thumb guard. Can anyone tell me where I can order everything I need in the states here?  Looking for nice optic mount, thumb guard, screws, etc. I would like someone that has set these guns up before so I can shoot this bad boy.

Thanks In Advance

Jason

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 7:57 AM, Whoops! said:

Hi, is the tanfoglio domina in 9 major a large frame? I was thinking of swapping the slide of domina to tanfoglio limited custom in .40 s&w. Hope anyone can verify it that it will fit and function properly.

• 9 months later...

I bought a 9mm Domina Xtreme a couple years ago.  Is EAA an importer or do they modify from stock? Like the look, love how it feels in my hand but, the trigger pull is very gritty and it really likes short ammo.  Does anyone know who is doing trigger jobs and machining on these pistols?