Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P9 2.0 Chamber Dimensions

SteelCityShooter

I have two 5" M&P9 2.0 pistols, one is the original FDE version from 2017 and the other a brand new CORE model. The older one will easily chamber my reloads using a Montana Gold 124 gr JHP with an OAL of 1.148". The newer one absolutely refuses to go into battery with these rounds and I had to shorten them to 1.120" to get them to chamber properly.

Did S&W revise the M&P chamber specifications recently? Is there something wrong with the new gun? The new gun does chamber all of the factory rounds I've tried but it's strange that there is so much difference between it and the older model.

8 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I have two 5" M&P9 2.0 pistols, one is the original FDE version from 2017 and the other a brand new CORE model. The older one will easily chamber my reloads using a Montana Gold 124 gr JHP with an OAL of 1.148". The newer one absolutely refuses to go into battery with these rounds and I had to shorten them to 1.120" to get them to chamber properly.

Did S&W revise the M&P chamber specifications recently? Is there something wrong with the new gun? The new gun does chamber all of the factory rounds I've tried but it's strange that there is so much difference between it and the older model.

Remove the offending barrel and plunk the offending rounds.  It's likely just a shorter leade in this barrel and nothing wrong with the gun or chamber.  

Also, 1.148" is getting kinda long for a JHP in a non-Open gun.

5 hours ago, BJB said:

Remove the offending barrel and plunk the offending rounds.  It's likely just a shorter leade in this barrel and nothing wrong with the gun or chamber.  

Also, 1.148" is getting kinda long for a JHP in a non-Open gun.

I did just that and they don't seat properly in the new barrel but do in the older one.  It took seating the bullet to 1.120" to get them to "plunk" properly.

Yeah, 1.148" is a bit long but it has worked in several other guns including a couple of Ruger SR's, a JP GMR-15 and a former M&P9 1.0 as well as the 2017 M&P9 2.0. so this was a surprise.  That said, the SAAMI max. OAL for a 9 mm is 1.169" and I was well below that.

6 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I did just that and they don't seat properly in the new barrel but do in the older one.  It took seating the bullet to 1.120" to get them to "plunk" properly.

Yeah, 1.148" is a bit long but it has worked in several other guns including a couple of Ruger SR's, a JP GMR-15 and a former M&P9 1.0 as well as the 2017 M&P9 2.0. so this was a surprise.  That said, the SAAMI max. OAL for a 9 mm is 1.169" and I was well below that.

The SAAMI max of 1.169" is more for the dimensions of the magazine, not the leade of your barrel.  You have found your new OAL and it's 1.12".  If you load for a CZ, or Glock Gen 5, or Tanfoglio, etc......you'll find that your OAL requirement will likely be even shorter.  1.12" or 1.11" is a fairly common OAL for 124 JHP, not really short at all.  You're good-to-go with that OAL.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, AZ1911 said:

I have the same gun and I had to go 1.11 with mine.

This was a problem only with my Montana Gold 124 gr JHP loads.  Reloads using Blue Bullet's 125 gr coated RN and Remington 124 gr JHP fit fine at 1.135" or a bit longer.   I guess it's the bullet profile that controls what will work in this particular gun.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I know I'm quite late on this but it's a new issue to me. 
I have 2 9mm Shields and 3 2.0 4" barrels, every gun but one a 2.0 chambers my reloads easily. 
The offending 2.0 seems to have a tighter chamber 3-4mm ahead of the extraction groove it always leaves marks on the brass there and is the only one of the 5 that does not plunk easily. 

On 1/2/2021 at 11:56 PM, Tawadc95 said:

I know I'm quite late on this but it's a new issue to me. 
I have 2 9mm Shields and 3 2.0 4" barrels, every gun but one a 2.0 chambers my reloads easily. 
The offending 2.0 seems to have a tighter chamber 3-4mm ahead of the extraction groove it always leaves marks on the brass there and is the only one of the 5 that does not plunk easily. 

If the offending gun is marking the brass it got more than a short leade.   I'd contact S&W and have the barrel corrected or replaced.  they should fix it under warranty.

On 7/2/2020 at 1:26 PM, rider82 said:

I had the same issue, that taper in the hollow is very abrupt.  I had to load at 1.1 to get them to chamber in an apex barrel.  

I had to ream my Apex barrel as well.

I’ve also done quite a few factory 2.0 barrels for guys - they’re hardened steel and your average reamer will get destroyed because it’s softer than the barrel. 

5th gen glocks, Shadow 2s, and M&Ps all have short chambers incredibly hard barrels which require a tungsten carbide reamer. So did half of my Walther PPQ & PPSs, for that matter: I don’t like loading to different lengths for different guns. That’s why I have a tungsten reamer now. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I had to ream my Apex barrel as well.

I’ve also done quite a few factory 2.0 barrels for guys - they’re hardened steel and your average reamer will get destroyed because it’s softer than the barrel. 

5th gen glocks, Shadow 2s, and M&Ps all have short chambers incredibly hard barrels which require a tungsten carbide reamer. So did half of my Walther PPQ & PPSs, for that matter: I don’t like loading to different lengths for different guns. That’s why I have a tungsten reamer now. ;) 

Where did you purchase your reamer from? I have 3 M&P's that I would like to ream the chambers on. 

• 3 weeks later...