Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 9mm for PCC Competitions

Good Afternoon Folks, 

I am not new to reloading for Pistols for competitions but an now getting into PCC. I am looking for some good reloading concencus specific to PCC. I am wondering what you competition shooters are running in your rigs. 

For my pistols am running 3.8gr of Aliant Sport Pistol under a 124/5gr Blue Bullet. Works great out of my CO and Production Guns. I have shot quite a few out of my Ruger and PSA PCC guns and it "OK" but maybe i can do keeping my Dot Still. I have read through most of the posts on here already and did get a little information. 

I am just looking for a happy medium between Accuracy, Speed and Flat Shooting. 

Hit me with what ya got and i will check ya later. 

If it’s a Glock mag PCC... especially with a mag extension... keep’m short. 

1.10” is about were you want to be ready most bullet profiles to ensure they pass smoothly into and out of the extension.  

3.8gr is definitely gonna be a bit hot in most 16” pccs. Your call if you want to go lower and have same loaded bullets with different powder charges. 

I run a 135gr Blue with 3.5gr of Sport pistol in a G17 and a blowback PCC with decent results. 

130ish PF on the Glock. About 145 on the PCC. 

I was okay with that recoil impulse. 

USPSA - 146 grain Blue Bullets Flat Point, 2.9 grains of Vihtavuori N320, OAL 1.115 with a .3750 crimp.  135 PF

image.png.8e280d4cd99ebd56721cd7994b8bc41c.png

Steel Challenge - 105 grain Bayou Bullets Funnel Point, 2.7 grains of Vihtavuori N320, OAL 1.045

image.png.5e7e46753ef82edc819f64f4ba67fef8.png

To run the different loads, the recoil buffer is changed.  For USPSA,  MBX buffer system (link).  For Steel Challenge, a simple Spikes Tactical H1.

Normal disclaimers apply.... Use at your own risk... In your own carbine.... yada yada yada.... check with your lawyer.....

BC

Edited by BillChunn
added pics

I've found that a 147gr bullet @ 985 fps (144 PF) is the flattest and most accurate with my setup.  Blitzkrieg standard hydraulic buffer, 5.56 carbine spring and Blitzkrieg short stroke adapter.  The bolt weight is inserted.  The bullets hit the same spot at 50 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger.  It doesn't seem to matter if they are factory JHP loads or my reloads.  Any lower than that I get more dot bounce.  I'm still trying to find a no bounce 110 PF load for SCSA.

3 hours ago, nso123 said:

Do you need to make power factor, or are you looking for a steel load?

Need to make Power for sure and wouldn't mind having something to reach out and bring somewhat of an okay group at 100yrds or so. 

Edited by jeffroberdo

If your PCC is running a comp, those blues will eventually make a mess of it. Jackhammering that concrete out isn’t fun.

If you want it to shoot the tightest group at 100yds? The difference between a coated bullet and a quality JHP like a precision delta proved quite noticeable across several rifles when we tested them locally.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
2 hours ago, zzt said:

I've found that a 147gr bullet @ 985 fps (144 PF) is the flattest and most accurate with my setup.  Blitzkrieg standard hydraulic buffer, 5.56 carbine spring and Blitzkrieg short stroke adapter.  The bolt weight is inserted.  The bullets hit the same spot at 50 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger.  It doesn't seem to matter if they are factory JHP loads or my reloads.  Any lower than that I get more dot bounce.  I'm still trying to find a no bounce 110 PF load for SCSA.

What powder and bullet - plated or coated?

11 hours ago, mgkrs said:

What powder and bullet - plated or coated?

Factory PRVI Partizan 147 JHP @ 985 fps.

Hand loads:  147 Everglades plated RN, mixed HS brass,  CCI 500.  I've tried a variety of powders, but prefer the slower ones.  When the last of my Silhouette is used up I'll be switching back to the SW Major Pistol powder I use for 9mm major.  I actually like that better, and the pressures are lower.

BTW, my barrel is 5.5".  If your is 14.5 or 16 these loads will be considerably hotter.  I would go to a faster powder for long barrels.

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If your PCC is running a comp, those blues will eventually make a mess of it. Jackhammering that concrete out isn’t fun.

This has been my experience as well.  And the SLR linear comp I'm running now is pretty much impossible to clean.  So I stick to jacketed for the PCC.

I can make power factor (125) in my 1911 with 3.0gr SP behind 145gr RN Acme (or Bayou).  While I haven't chrono'ed my 8" CMMG upper I'm pretty confident I'll get a few more fps out of the longer barrel; I've also got to load shorter in the PCC, 110" versus 1.12" in the 1911.  These heavier bullets are extremely soft shooting.

I've also got a practice load, 115gr and 4.0gr N320; Haven't chrono'ed but this is pretty soft and probably equivalent to about 3.8gr of SP.  I'm just using up 12 lbs. of the N320 before I switch back to SP.  While I seem to need between .1 and .2 gr more of N320 versus the SP I can't really notice much of a difference otherwise.

I just use my normal pistol loads, but I'm also using the Taccom ULW upper that has the 5" barrel.

To get my PCC shooting flatter, I use the Taccom 3 piece buffer, i took the weight out of the bolt and i cut 2 port holes in the top of the barrel shroud. I wasnt sure if the port holes would really do anything because of the diameter of the shroud, but it made a noticeable difference in dot bounce. 

Jared Hinton, communications coordinator for Alliant Powder, describes Sport Pistol as "a low nitroglycerine, double-base flake propellant. On the burn rate chart, Sport Pistol would functionally replace/overlap with American Select.

For my Ruger pcc I’m using a .357 dia. 95 gr r/n brazos 1.025 oal over 3.4 grs of aa#2 . This load is the softest and flattest load that I have run thur my Ruger Pcc. These are for steel Challenge power factor?

Edited by Dwbsig

I run a 147 gr plated from Everglades. There are several combos that make the 135PF out of my 16" AR build. 2.8 gr of Titegroup, 2.8 gr of Clays or Claydot and 2.9 gr of WST. Most hover around a 136-138PF. All are very accurate. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wish more people would list their gun's stats when comparing load data...

14.5" Shooting Innovations barrel + Shooting Innovations bolt + Blitzkrieg 5015HD + Strike Industries flatwire 308 spring + NFA buffer spacer + Aero enhanced carbine tube

147gr Everglades Plated

3.0gr N320

1.1250" OAL

Chrono'd at about 940fps, 2.8gr N320 was running around 880fps but there wasn't a noticeable difference to me, so I decided to go with the spicier recipe. That being said I'm going with Shooter's World Cleanshot once this last lb of N320 runs out.

130gr Berry/Rainer RN

3.7 gr Maxium CSB-1

1.115 oal

137 pf out of 16" barrel.

I got some CSB-1 during the last powder shortage out of desperation. Once I tried it I swore off Titegroup. CSB-1 is much cleaner and no smoke. I bought up all I could find. Some less than $10 a pound. 

• 2 years later...

Hello, I recently picked up a Ruger PC 9 for competition, it has a 18 in barrel. I run my Shadow 2 with VV N310 at 3.1 with the miss at 3.2. OAL is 1.10 with a 147r flat nose. PF is 132. I used this load in the Ruger to have a baseline and came up with a PF of 135. I had read the the Ruger worked well with 147 and that PF wise the sweat spot was 135 PF. As you can imagine I thought I had won the reload lottery...that is until it was mentioned that I may need to be concerned with high chamber pressure. I'm hoping someone can weigh in on this. I won't risk safety for the easy button. Cheers