Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experience with "stroked" Tanfos?

Seen a few people around here running stroked GTs, thinking about throwing my slide on the mill and doing the same. How do you guys feel about your stroked open guns after running them for awhile? Do they shoot any softer? Flatter? Any issues crop up?

Definitely softer.  Definitely more reliable. 

I did 1/3rd of an inch on my Gold Team. 

When I got my Domina in, the factory stroke was almost the exact same.  I did some measurements prior to cutting and 1/3 of an inch should work without spring bind in most of the competition spring weights we use.  

The stroke of a Tanfoglio is 1.850", standard CZ 75 is 1.875", Shadow 2 is 1.890", Czechmate/TS is 2.000", 2011 is 2.115", from what I've been told, Akai strokes his 2011s to 2.415".  My custom TS Open is stroked to 2.440", then I run a buffer which gives back 0.140".

On 6/12/2020 at 8:08 AM, kneelingatlas said:

The stroke of a Tanfoglio is 1.850", standard CZ 75 is 1.875", Shadow 2 is 1.890", Czechmate/TS is 2.000", 2011 is 2.115", from what I've been told, Akai strokes his 2011s to 2.415".  My custom TS Open is stroked to 2.440", then I run a buffer which gives back 0.140".

Keep in mind with Kneeling's TS, he has a 5.4" slide.  That allows extra buffer for going longer without binding the spring as a result of the dustcover design.  

My 1/3" measurement was specifically for the Gold team and other 4.5" barrel/slide Tanfoglio models like the Stock II, etc.  

In fact, I've also stroked the Stock II the same amount.  That one doesn't take it as well as the gold team - the barrel has a tendency to get caught on the slide when racked slowly.  Nothing a little (actually a lot of) polish didn't take care of.  It never seemed to get caught while firing, just hand racking slowly.

Also, a disclaimer.

This should only be done by a certified and insured gunsmith.  Don't screw up your stuff.

Edited by Whoops!

Guess I should have mentioned it is a Gold Team I'm working on. Shot a match with it yesterday so I havent messed with it yet. Looks like taking off .320-.330" is the sweet spot for the recoil spring compressed length. 

And your disclaimer is heard loud and clear 👍

Got it done earlier today and put a few hundred rounds through it. Big difference! Gun feels smoother and funny enough it actually ejects sideways instead of straight forward into the mount. Took .325" off and had to clip a couple coils off the recoil spring. Thanks for the help guys!

20200614_191009_compress94.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First off if you value your barrel lugs get rid of the webbing. The stop the barrel from properly bedding down. Also .356 is the magic number. Yall doing it wrong jk

Since I value (listen to) the opinions of those more experienced than me, would there be any benefit to stroking my 6" gold match extreme 9mm limited gun? I only shoot steel challenge/outlaw steel matches.

2 hours ago, ahfox32 said:

Since I value (listen to) the opinions of those more experienced than me, would there be any benefit to stroking my 6" gold match extreme 9mm limited gun? I only shoot steel challenge/outlaw steel matches.

No, your shooting a gun that is starting out very soft and is not cycling at mach 3 like a open major gun. Stroking does 2 things 1 it gives more time for the spring to slow the slide so the impact with the frame is less, shooting minor from a 6" gun you are already not hitting the frame very hard. 2 it gives the magazine more time to push the rounds up so the next one can feed, once again this is likely not a problem for your gun. 

17 hours ago, ahfox32 said:

Thank you.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:40 PM, Handejector said:

Got it done earlier today and put a few hundred rounds through it. Big difference! Gun feels smoother and funny enough it actually ejects sideways instead of straight forward into the mount. Took .325" off and had to clip a couple coils off the recoil spring. Thanks for the help guys!

20200614_191009_compress94.jpg

A little late to chime in.  I did the same stroke as you did (done by Patriot Defense).  Had the same improvements as you did, plus no nose dives (don't ask me how that works).  Note; I clipped a spring during testing and it locked up between the guide rod and the plug!  Get the Patriot Defense spring assortment and you will have no bind (at least I didn't with the 8lb.).  The ejection direction improved and I was able to put my ipsc Alex mount back on with no more brass strikes.  Runs major and minor with no changes.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:01 AM, zombywoof said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.

Can you please explain.

Thanks

I believe he’s talking about the width of additional metal that is left under where the dust cover was removed when it was stroked.

If it isn’t low enough - it can impact the barrel and keep the gun from cycling the length of the stroke.

This is all part of doing the stroke correctly and making sure the new guide rod dust cover surface is impacting the frame in the appropriate place.

It isn’t hard, as long as you keep an eye out for what the gun is doing when you pull the slide back - making sure it is using the whole length of the cut you just made.  And, check for appropriate impact on the slide and frame after work is done.

From the pics, I don’t believe the OP’s gun will have an issue - it looks like the cut was low enough.  But you should always have an appropriate gunsmith do this work yadda yadda yadda.

Saw this a little late. I actually went back in and milled out what remained of the dust cover webbing to the same width of the rest of the slide. Shot a high round count match the other weekend and the gun got sluggish near the end cause that area was scraping past a bunch of fouling.

Got an 8 lbs PD spring in it now and didnt need to clip it. I've put about 3k through it since I stroked it and the gun has run beautifully. Hope it stays that way.

Edited by Handejector
A word

2 hours ago, Maurice said:

Something to note, the newer domina’s have a stroked slide, and utilize a short guide rod.  If I recall correctly, the older v8/Eric’s used a longer guide rod. 

My V8 uses a long guide rod