Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc build question

I'm contemplating building a pcc. Ive found a very good deal on a complete Taccom ulw upper with bolt and am looking at a cmmg dedicated lower that accepts colt mags. Ive read its better to get all major components from same manufacturer but was wondering if anyone has built this setup. I reload so adjusting bullet length etc wouldnt be an issue if needed

I built 2 PCC's  using Taccom  uppers ..the 5.25" barrel I used Quarter 10 Circle lower,  the 10 - 16 upper I used  a Spikes lower.. ..  and the 3rd i used a Stag lower with a 16" light weight Faxton barrel..  no problems mixing these different uppers to lowers as far as fitment..... after some experimenting with springs, bullet weights & powder loads .. they all run 100% .. and all three PCC's are Colt style mags...   one recommendation i may add...  shoot factory ammo for the first 50 or so rounds..... then change to your reloads... 

I built 2 PCC's  using Taccom  uppers ..the 5.25" barrel I used Quarter 10 Circle lower,  the 10 - 16 upper I used  a Spikes lower.. ..  and the 3rd i used a Stag lower with a 16" light weight Faxton barrel..  no problems mixing these different uppers to lowers as far as fitment..... after some experimenting with springs, bullet weights & powder loads .. they all run 100% .. and all three PCC's are Colt style mags...   one recommendation i may add...  shoot factory ammo for the first 50 or so rounds..... then change to your reloads... 
Thanks for the reply. Was wanting to make sure before I made the jump

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, thor0812 said:

I'm contemplating building a pcc. Ive found a very good deal on a complete Taccom ulw upper with bolt and am looking at a cmmg dedicated lower that accepts colt mags. Ive read its better to get all major components from same manufacturer but was wondering if anyone has built this setup. I reload so adjusting bullet length etc wouldnt be an issue if needed

I have the  cmmg dedicated lower that accepts Colt mags and I can't recommend it.  My HAHN and Spikes Tactical mag adapters were far more reliable than the CMMG dedicated lower. 

I would recommend the Quarter 10 Circle lower.  More money but far more reliable according to the QC10 owners. 

Email QC and ask if they have any blems or discounts on the  QC-CLT9MM.

I have the  cmmg dedicated lower that accepts Colt mags and I can't recommend it.  My HAHN and Spikes Tactical mag adapters were far more reliable than the CMMG dedicated lower. 
I would recommend the Quarter 10 Circle lower.  More money but far more reliable according to the QC10 owners. 

I've built plenty of ar's but Allah's is about to make my head explode lol. I have 2 sreipped ar lowers at home already, hadn't really thought of using the adapters as I figured the dedicated lowers would be a better choice

13 minutes ago, thor0812 said:

I've built plenty of ar's but Allah's is about to make my head explode lol. I have 2 sreipped ar lowers at home already, hadn't really thought of using the adapters as I figured the dedicated lowers would be a better choice

These are the adapters:  https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285815-colt-ar-pcc-mag-blocks-hahn-spikes-tactical/?tab=comments#comment-3183480

Your profile doesn't show what state you live in ... if you're near my location, you can try out the adapters.

I think dedicated lowers are a better long term solution if you keep shooting PCC as there's one less component to fail.  Adapters are great if you only have one lower and want to switch between 556 & 9mm ammo.

51 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

This! A QC10 dedicated lower is the way to go. I’ll shortly have one for sale in the classified’d with a fat BMiller magwell and the stripped matrix arms upper the National champion recommended. Just gotta cerakote them to match.

(My personal preference is for a more stable platform than the Taccom ULW, too. I personally feel takes a lot of work to muscle/drive the gun hard enough to keep it on-target for followup shots.)

51 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

Highly suggest going this route! 👍

Depends on your budget - I have a CMMG Colt lower - If i would choose again I think I would go with Spikes colt lower - more features - you can find for about the same price - If you have the money do QC-10, it is a step up.  I have one of QC-10 Glock receiver side cocking  sets with Taccom ULW, good shooter. It is the old style ULW before the upper tongue was added.   The interesting thing I have been looking at is side cocking uppers. There seems to be a  big weight difference between rear with charge handle included and side cocking receivers.  I like the side cocker but did not compare the weight originally. Don't know if it makes that much difference?  I want to try one of the MP-5 lowers as I have Colt and Glock and CMMG AR-15 9mm mag setups.  All function great! One other comment the quality adapters are as much as buying a Spikes or CMMG or NFA dedicated lower and you still need mags. Choices - to may stinking choices - LOL     

Depends on your budget - I have a CMMG Colt lower - If i would choose again I think I would go with Spikes colt lower - more features - you can find for about the same price - If you have the money do QC-10, it is a step up.  I have one of QC-10 Glock receiver side cocking  sets with Taccom ULW, good shooter. It is the old style ULW before the upper tongue was added.   The interesting thing I have been looking at is side cocking uppers. There seems to be a  big weight difference between rear with charge handle included and side cocking receivers.  I like the side cocker but did not compare the weight originally. Don't know if it makes that much difference?  I want to try one of the MP-5 lowers as I have Colt and Glock and CMMG AR-15 9mm mag setups.  All function great! One other comment the quality adapters are as much as buying a Spikes or CMMG or NFA dedicated lower and you still need mags. Choices - to may stinking choices - LOL     
As far as the side chargers, I like the thought if that as well. Ive seen some videos of the Foxtrot Mike fm9 with the side charge but haven't found a whole lot of info on them yet

New topic - so there are also much differences in side charging - so the FTM is more a forward charging handle than a side charging handle. On the FTM the handle is up on the hand guard where QC-10, Giggs, NFA and JP all charge from the side of the receiver.  There is some differences in hand movement on the FTM than the QC-10 to work the charge handle. I have one of the 16" FTM setups so I use both.  All the girls get to come out to play ever so often. The FTM is great gun for a great price and have never had a problem and it eats everything - mine cost me $700 to build with all FTM components - just have to shop around - great buy. It was my first 9mm and still love it.  My QC receiver set was over $500 alone but I consider worth it and my main shooter.  I got a complete  FTM upper and lower receiver less the lower parts for just less than $500 on sale.  There is a lot of info on the FTM on the interweb including this forum.

See more choices - that is why I have more than one 9mm - fun to shoot for sure!

New topic - so there are also much differences in side charging - so the FTM is more a forward charging handle than a side charging handle. On the FTM the handle is up on the hand guard where QC-10, Giggs, NFA and JP all charge from the side of the receiver.  There is some differences in hand movement on the FTM than the QC-10 to work the charge handle. I have one of the 16" FTM setups so I use both.  All the girls get to come out to play ever so often. The FTM is great gun for a great price and have never had a problem and it eats everything - mine cost me $700 to build with all FTM components - just have to shop around - great buy. It was my first 9mm and still love it.  My QC receiver set was over $500 alone but I consider worth it and my main shooter.  I got a complete  FTM upper and lower receiver less the lower parts for just less than $500 on sale.  There is a lot of info on the FTM on the interweb including this forum.

See more choices - that is why I have more than one 9mm - fun to shoot for sure!
I do like the forward position, dont really have to change fireing position to cycle a malfunction. More to consider and research.....

FTM also will fit a Colt or a Glock style lower - they have both and just a bolt difference.  The advantage or disadvantage as you may see it is the forward weight the ULW barrel over the FTM setup. Unless things have changed you could only buy the FTM forward charger system as a complete upper and it comes with a light weight 16" barrel which is heaver than the ULW barrel. I assume you can change out the barrel on the FTM stock barrel for a ULW barrel?  Anyone done this?

I chose the FM upper because of the side/forward charger. It's reminiscent of HK rifles. The handle can be moved left or right so it's good for lefties. I haven't tried a silencer yet, but without the normal charging handle channel I'm hoping it's less gassy.

Some of the rearward mounted side chargers can crash into your face if you leave the gun mounted.

I’ve run a CMMG colt lower for three years now, it’s been dead reliable. But I don’t know if I’d go with it if I was starting over. I think the full magazine well makes it harder to line up reloads and colt mags are much harder to reload then Glock. It also uses a 9mm bolt catch so that’s another part I need to stock. The only complaint I have with my setup is reloading otherwise I wound not change. And I’d definitely get a dedicated lower if I was serious about PCC. 

For those of you on a budget like us retired elderly....I have used Tennessee Arms glock lowers for 3 or 4 PCC builds with Bear Creek barrels and standard ar uppers ... have had very good luck with these combinations.  My current build is a 6.5 inch barrel with an aluminum tube pinned to the end of the barrel to get 16.5 inch rifle barrel with cery coat black on everything....make a light weight rear word heavy in the stock....so far a good shooter.

I have less than $600 in my 9mm AR build. Bought everything on sale or clearance. Most expensive part was the complete Joe Bob complete lower. Barrel is a Midway $49 closeout. Hand guard is a $30 Chinese version off EBay. The DPMS stripped slick side upper came from Midway also. It's $89 now. Think I paid $69 a few years ago. The Stoner stripped upper is $79 at Midway. The $93 Rock River two stage trigger is good enough for me. It can be turned into a single stage if you know how. I have never had a failure with the Midway barrel using 147 gr Everglades plated bullets. I did create a semi feed ramp with my Foredom. I only shoot IDPA. Pistol length barrels are not legal in that sport w/o a long tube. Not worth the effort to me.  

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend getting a Glock mag lower. Most of the Colt mags I see at matches the rounds go flying everywhere when the mag hits the ground on reloads. Also there are a lot more options on mags and extensions for Glocks. New Frontier/ Joe Bobs are pretty good.

Edited by Kokeman