Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Python

2 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

Picked up my new Production Colt Python today. Looks good, trigger pull is nice. Range report to follow.

I was first on a list of 20 waiting to buy.

Nice! Have they made improvements from the older ones (not that much could be improved upon!)? 

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Nice! Have they made improvements from the older ones (not that much could be improved upon!)? 

Not an expert by any means, but one thing is they took 13 parts out of the fire control system. This made the new gun more of a shooter than a safe queen. The originals would after time get out of time and require work.

I have the 4.25 inch. It has a removable red ramp front sight. The DA is not as good as the old Python in one sense, but it doesn't stack. The SA on mine could be lighter, but I bet it will get better.

I have no issues with fit and finish.

i have a beautiful safe queen, this baby will be a shooter👍

Edited by Gary Stevens

20 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

Not an expert by any means, but one thing is they took 13 parts out of the fire control system. This made the new gun more of a shooter than a safe queen. The originals would after time get out of time and require work.

I have the 4.25 inch. It has a removable red ramp front sight. The DA is not as good as the old Python in one sense, but it doesn't stack. The SA on mine could be lighter, but I bet it will get better.

I have no issues with fit and finish.

i have a beautiful safe queen, this baby will be a shooter👍

I take this one out every once in a while and pop a few off.

20140214_102247.jpg

38 minutes ago, Styro said:

I wonder if those new production ones will bring down the value of the original ones manufactured in the 1980's?

I don't think so to any great extent. It might keep them from going up like a rocket though.

41 minutes ago, Gary Stevens said:

I don't think so to any great extent. It might keep them from going up like a rocket though.

I think they've already attained orbital velocity!  

Nolan

Well initial range report, the good the bad and the ugly.

There is no ugly. Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the rear sight. The windage adjustment does not have any clicks. You loosen a set screw and adjust the sight. When you are happy, you turn the set screw back down with a touch of thread locker. This adjustment results in too much trial and error. When shooting full house 357 magnums from a bench this results in a lot of felt recoil.

Hopefully I can attach a picture of the initial results. 15 yards, Remington 125 JHP, 1400 fps. OUCH!!!!!!

When I get the final windage adjustment where I want it and the set screw re-locktited down I will be a happy camper.

IMG_0045.JPG

Edited by Gary Stevens