Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shot the Tactical Games? Feedback

I am super interested in these comps. looking for general feedback to get the right equipment, guns etc. I dont mind running my 3gun AR but figure AR pistol or super light is best. Also see everything covered in sand, figured I should pick up a glock or p320 (dont want to drag my STI DVC though the dirt)

Overall thoughts?

What plate carrier you running?

Any certain gear i should have and not have?

Gun recommendations?

Thanks all. 

I've attended one in Elite division.

A friend local to me has finished 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in Elite at each that he's attended, and he gets asked quite often what he uses:

Overall thoughts? - Get in shape. My two cents would be to focus on cardio more than strength stuff.  Work on doing things at elevated heart rate for longer stretches of time at a pace you can keep, not blowing out full effort right off the bat.  The shooting looks very boring on video but is more challenging than you'd think due to VERY elevated heart rate.  The shooting is not the attraction.  The physical challenge is very rewarding after you are done.  You'll be hating life at certain points, but as soon as you are done, good times.  The different events may vary in "loading" focus of shooting versus physical tests.  Kind of like flavors of 3gun matches.......some will be more physically challenging with easier shooting, while others will be evenly split, etc.

What plate carrier you running?  - Used Shellback Banshee because I had it.  No major complaints.  The ballistic plates I had in it (again, just used what I had at the time) were heavier than needed, so that wasn't ideal.

Any certain gear i should have and not have? - The "battles" are so long over the course of a weekend that little speed advantages here and there from gear are negated by NOT MISSING shots.  Misses are huge penalties.  Same with being able to breathe.  Being able to load/unload/stow mags (cannot drop and leave them) in efficient manner is useful, so open top mag pouches with easy out/easy in are useful IMO.  Some people use dump pouches, I haven't, as I didn't want that flopping around.

Gun recommendations? - Definitely reference the rules.  Used an 10.5" SBR with an Aero slim handguard.  Worked well, but after playing with a few of my different uppers, I think I'd prefer a setup with a bit more weight as that smooths out muzzle movement for offhand shooting.  14.5" pinned or 16" with as long as possible gas system for that particular barrel length.

I also used my 3gun 2011 pistol without issue with MBX mags, but it is a quality build that I fully trust to run from Hayes Custom.  

• 2 weeks later...