Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX steel mags for PCC.

Mine has been running fine straight out of the box.  Added the MBX steel 5" extension.  Never needed the full capacity of the extended magazine as the stage designers around here max out at 32 or 40 rounds.  Still nice to have those extra rounds when there is a bunch of steel or a Texas star on a stage.

Keep it clean and use Mag Slick from Krunch Products.  The same people make Pro Grip.

image.png.033c433bdc8d80f9ca8cb253b207dde3.png

BC

On 6/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, Kokeman said:

Anybody running MBX glock  style steel mags in pcc? Do they run good out of the box? Are they worth the price? I'm currently running factory 31s with MBX and Goliath extension. 

If you weigh the pros and cons of the mag, its up to you to decide. I have a buddy that uses them and swears by them. I asked him what makes them great? He said that they feed ammo well, and they insert easily into the magwell....

In my head, I thought to myself...oem glock mags do just that. But for a fraction of the cost. He even had a mag get untuned and had to send it back to mbx to get it retuned... Never had to do that with oem.

Also my opinion, the top shooters dont use them because the oem ones just work. If I see Josh Froelich, Max L, and Zach S start using them without any sponsorship, Im all for it. But these champs found a way to fine tune their poly mags. Not worth it...Just my 2 cents.

I think I would rather buy $200 worth of ammo or a backup bolt.

I don't have any of the metal mags but have been eyeballing them for some time.  

I'm torn.  One of the main things I dislike about Glock in general are the plastic magazines.  If it ain't steel, it ain't real....that sort of thing.  I have a JP PCC that takes Glock mags and they have been 100% reliable - except when extensions are being used....but is that the mag or the extension?  I've "tuned" a couple of mags to make them work with the extensions but again, they work flawlessly by themselves.  Despite my bias, the plastic mags work great. 

Maybe the metal mags are worth it when extensions are being used - I don't have any so I don't know, maybe someone can chime in?  

Phil 

10 hours ago, philmadxx said:

I'm torn.  One of the main things I dislike about Glock in general are the plastic magazines.  If it ain't steel, it ain't real....that sort of thing.  I have a JP PCC that takes Glock mags and they have been 100% reliable - except when extensions are being used....but is that the mag or the extension?  I've "tuned" a couple of mags to make them work with the extensions but again, they work flawlessly by themselves.  Despite my bias, the plastic mags work great. 

Maybe the metal mags are worth it when extensions are being used - I don't have any so I don't know, maybe someone can chime in?  

Phil 

The one and only reason why the steel glock mags are better for use with extensions is the lips on the bottom where the extension attaches is stronger. Supposedly, some people have had the lips break off when dropping the mag.

I haven't had that problem. I have the full size extension (brings capacity up to 57) on an OEM 33 round mag, and I've never had an issue with it.

10 hours ago, philmadxx said:

Phil 

About the dislike of polymer mags: Do you only use metal mags in AR15s? just curious. The vast majority of people only use polymer...

Edited by avastcosmicarena
19 hours ago, philmadxx said:

I have a JP PCC that takes Glock mags and they have been 100% reliable - except when extensions are being used....but is that the mag or the extension? 

It is where the mag catch shelf is located.  The weight of the extension and the extra rounds pulls the mag down and it does not feed correctly.  A shooting buddy uses a JP PCC and the MBX steel Glock mag with extension.  It runs 100% in his JP.  One of the reasons is the mag catch cutout is all the way through.  If you look at Glock and SGM mags the mag catch doesn't get as firm a grip.  They partially release when a round is fired, and the next round jams.  If you hold the mag up in the magwell it works most of the time.  I have exactly the same problem with my Leadstar.  I've gone to the ETS 40 round mags.  They sit higher in the magwell and the catch gets a good grip on them.  They've run 100% from the very first round. 

On 6/17/2020 at 1:32 AM, avastcosmicarena said:

About the dislike of polymer mags: Do you only use metal mags in AR15s? just curious. The vast majority of people only use polymer...

Nah - I use pmags probably 80% of the time with ARs.  Use metal mags 100% of the time in AKs.  I guess it depends on the gun type - I didn't say I was being rational, just that I had a bias that I recognized.  I like metal mags in pistols. 

Again, my PCC is flawless with Glock mags - as well as ETS and a Korean brand that look identical to Glock OEM.

Curious about the need for a steel mag release, my PCC is aluminum, I wonder if the steel would wear out the aluminum?

18 hours ago, zzt said:

It is where the mag catch shelf is located.  The weight of the extension and the extra rounds pulls the mag down and it does not feed correctly.  A shooting buddy uses a JP PCC and the MBX steel Glock mag with extension.  It runs 100% in his JP.  One of the reasons is the mag catch cutout is all the way through.  If you look at Glock and SGM mags the mag catch doesn't get as firm a grip.  They partially release when a round is fired, and the next round jams.  If you hold the mag up in the magwell it works most of the time.  I have exactly the same problem with my Leadstar.  I've gone to the ETS 40 round mags.  They sit higher in the magwell and the catch gets a good grip on them.  They've run 100% from the very first round. 

It isn't the mag catch that is the issue with my GMR-15, it is the connection point between the mag body and the extension.- and it only happened once.  It shoots anything that gets close to the chamber.   You can "tune" the mag/extension combo so they are perfect by smoothing out the intersection point - a little off of the mag, a little off of the extension.  I've done this and so far so good but only one string for proof.  In all honesty, I was told by the manufacturer (Taylor Freelance) that my ammo was a little long for their extension (Goliath) but I went ahead anyway with almost perfect results, now that I tuned the connection, I hope all is well.  

On 6/9/2020 at 7:04 PM, Kokeman said:

Anybody running MBX glock  style steel mags in pcc? Do they run good out of the box? Are they worth the price? I'm currently running factory 31s with MBX and Goliath extension. 

I'm tryna figure out where it was I saw those new stainless steel Glock mags with witness holes. They were high quality looking with machines aluminum base pads and I haven't seen steel mags for Glocks ever. Those see through plastic ones are junk compared to OEM ones but I prefer steel ones

I'll give you a tip.....don't uses a loaded full 30 round mag lol in a PCC firearm in a speed shooting event where theres only 7 or less targets cause it's a detriment to fast shooting. I see so many people doing that just because they're too lazy to reload mags.

Update:  In last weekend's SCSA match, had a stock Glock magazine drop out of the carbine.  Thought the mag release was getting bumped.  Videoed the next stage and the mag release was not touched but the magazine fell out again.  The plastic at the magazine release had worn down to a point where the vibration from firing and the sudden swing of the rifle would dislodge the magazine.  Not good when you are on the clock.... even if there is one "throw away" run.  It just gets in your head....

Two steel MBX mags have been ordered and should arrive before the next SC match....

BC

MBX.JPG

The only reason I see to not use the OEM mags are after you take your basepads off enough you'll eventually mar up the plastic enough that they probably won't stay on. Maybe others work better but my TTI basepads seem to shave off a sliver of plastic every time I put them on. I'd be more happy if there were reliable plastic mags out there that used a standard basepad and not the squeezyboi ones that Glock has.

On 6/25/2020 at 6:44 PM, BillChunn said:

Update:  In last weekend's SCSA match, had a stock Glock magazine drop out of the carbine.  Thought the mag release was getting bumped.  Videoed the next stage and the mag release was not touched but the magazine fell out again.  The plastic at the magazine release had worn down to a point where the vibration from firing and the sudden swing of the rifle would dislodge the magazine.  Not good when you are on the clock.... even if there is one "throw away" run.  It just gets in your head....

Two steel MBX mags have been ordered and should arrive before the next SC match....

BC

MBX.JPG

Can't say as I blame you, those things just plain suck.  Will you upgrade to a steel mag release or is yours already steel?  My JP has an aluminum release and I'd worry about the steel mag wearing it out.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 1:21 PM, philmadxx said:

Can't say as I blame you, those things just plain suck.  Will you upgrade to a steel mag release or is yours already steel?  My JP has an aluminum release and I'd worry about the steel mag wearing it out.  

The lower (and upper) are from Lead Star Arms and their web page for receiver sets does not state if the proprietary magazine release is steel or aluminum.  Checked it with a magnet and it is steel.

The two new MBX magazine ran without any problems.  Using those two as the primaries and four other Magpul Glock magazine for the SC matches.  Prefer to go to the line with 6 loaded magazines just in case one of them barfs....  can grab a replacement off the barrel next to the box and save myself from getting a 30 second time on that run.

BC

• 2 years later...
On 6/30/2020 at 10:59 PM, Kokeman said:

A guy had some MBX mags at the last match. He let me try them out in my JP. They ran perfect but I did not like how they rattled around. I think I'm sticking with my Glock mags. 

I hear this from others as well I have a steel mag and the only thing I don’t like is the rip king back and forth has anyone found a fix ? Maybe a magwell that corrects the problem? 

My GMR-15 will run any brand mag except the Korean Glock clones mentioned above.  It will not run those at all - will never feed a second round.  I have had good luck with ETS, but twice cracked them when they hit ground during mandatory reload stage.  Current set up is OEM Glock 33s for most stages, and a MBX combo for anything more than 30 rds.  We had a "steel crazy" stage at recent wildcat match (spinner, two stars, plate rack, lots of poppers), and I was happy to not need reload - while listening to all the "real gun" shooters (hand gun!) complain about unfair advantage!

Edited by idahoyotes
correct spelling