Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA shooting sports behavior

1 minute ago, Seery said:

I've noticed this also over the past few years. 

And it gets harder to find a place to stand as not to block all the phones pointed downrange. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of it is just perspective.  I shoot several local matches in the central IL area and I have to say it doesn't really matter what range I'm at or which squad I'm on, everyone is great.  But, there are some that see the sport as a competition, and some see it as a hobby. I think the really competitive people (I'm not one of them) can sometimes be misinterpreted as egotistical, whiny, etc. I don't see it that way.  I think they are just very focused on their match performance and looking at optimum performance. And they get frustrated when they don't reach it.  And, they often like to squad up with shooters of the same mindset where they keep each other focused and push each other. They may not want to be in a squad with someone like me that isn't match and stage focused the entire time and can laugh off a stage I just bombed. Those very competitive mindset shooters might be an M class or a C class, but they are very focused on improvement and match performance.  And I think that is often misinterpreted by those that aren't as focused.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

^^ if we were experiencing the above scenario, I would raise the entry fee $5, double the number of matches, and start investing in improvements for the range.

Each club did raise fees by $5 last year.  All the ranges are in great shape, because the clubs have the money to do that.  Plus they have a lot of help.  In the Winter on work days maybe 10-15 people show up.  When it warms up many more show up.  Anything that needs to be done is and we are done by 9:30.

As far as more shoots, that is impractical.  The ranges have to be open on some week end days for members who don't participate in the 3-gun, USPSA, steel shoots and other organized activities.  I'm fortunate in that I'm retired, so I can go practice during the week.

18 hours ago, zzt said:

as far as more shoots, that is impractical.  The ranges have to be open on some week end days for members who don't participate in the 3-gun, USPSA, steel shoots and other organized activities.  I'm fortunate in that I'm retired, so I can go practice during the week.

sounds like you need some range improvements (i.e., more bays). We put in several additional bays in the last few years so now when we host a 6-7 stage uspsa match, there are still at least 7 bays still open to general membership.

Edited by motosapiens

4 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

sounds like you need some range improvements (i.e., more bays). We put in several additional bays in the last few years so now when we host a 6-7 stage uspsa match, there are still at least 7 bays still open to general membership.

Any that have the room to expand have already done so.  For example, my home club recently acquired some adjacent land and is putting in 5 new bays.  It isn't like there is no place to shoot when a match is going on.  The 50, 100, 200 multi-purpose and 700 yard ranges are open, so there is plenty of opportunity to shoot.  The 700 yard range is rifles only.  The others are open and you can place targets at any distance you like.  The problem is you cannot run around or set up a 'stage', which many members like to do.  So when all the so called 'pistol' bays are used for a match, members have to shoot standing or sitting at the other ranges.  That generates complaints from those who can only come on the day of the shoot.  

As far as more USPSA matches go, I doubt it.  I suspect when all ten 'pistol' bays are available they will be used for two different concurrent matches on the weeks when matches are now scheduled for both Sat and Sun.  USPSA, steel, 3-gun, gas gun, shotgun, and fun matches all want access.  So USPSA shoots are limited to one per month.  Some of the others are every other month.

It's hard to p[lease everyone.  At my other home club I was MD for two years.  I published a schedule so everyone would know that on first and third Sundays the range would be closed from 8 AM to 1 PM for 'action' matches.  Bullseye and kid/scout/ladies/Marine shoots were handled by someone else.  There was so much complaining that management decided the ranges could be closed for no more than two weekend days a month.  That eliminated a lot of shoots, and many members did not renew.  And there are still complaints.  Part of the problem is there are 3200 paid members.  I think that too many.  Geez, on some Saturdays there is a waiting line to get into the 28 lane pistol range.  Other clubs limit the number of members and charge higher membership fees.  I like that approach better, even though it took three years to be accepted at my other home club.

As a guy with 2 G's on my card, I rarely offer unsolicited advice to people I don't know for many reasons

- Nothing is going to F your match up more than trying to remember what I just told you to do on the next stage.

- You might have your mags in their pouches backwards for a reason and see previous point if you suddenly swap them around mid-match.

- You may hear it as "you really suck at this shooting thing, maybe you should take up golf", no matter what I said.

- You might be here just for fun and don't care to get any better and who is this dude telling me what to do anyway?

- You might be one of those guys that wants to 'do it all themselves, their way'.

- You may be following some Squirrel Ninja Gurutube Technique I've never heard of.

- A lot of the time you just need to get better at not yanking the crap out of the trigger with your eyes closed half the time.

- etc, etc ,etc.

If I know you and know you're trying to get better, then things are different.   But if you want me to watch your stage and let you know what I see, ask me well in advance so I'm not nose-down in my gear bag cleaning a pile of single-stack mags or wandering off to the can when you shoot.

it seems that advice/tips given during the match don't resonate anyways. New-er shooters spend  most of the day in condition black and aren't able to process new information. 

I do wish more people would grab the scoring pad out of my hand to actually run shooters rather than to see "What was my time?" and "How were my hits?"

2 hours ago, konkapot said:

it seems that advice/tips given during the match don't resonate anyways. New-er shooters spend  most of the day in condition black and aren't able to process new information. 

I do wish more people would grab the scoring pad out of my hand to actually run shooters rather than to see "What was my time?" and "How were my hits?"

Man i shoot open. I always make friends with the other open shooters. I assume I'm worse than all of them, I ask all of them for advice and watch how they run the stage before me. If they have an M or G next to their name I assume its there for a reason. Nothing wrong with asking an annoying amount of questions to people who have been in the sport a lot longer than you.

“I do wish more people would grab the scoring pad out of my hand to actually run shooters rather than to see "What was my time?" and "How were my hits?"

This is laughable as the shooters being complained about at the not mentioned club do 90% of the work at each match.

10 hours ago, B_Seehawer said:

“I do wish more people would grab the scoring pad out of my hand to actually run shooters rather than to see "What was my time?" and "How were my hits?"

This is laughable as the shooters being complained about at the not mentioned club do 90% of the work at each match.

Who are the people? Im still waiting for OP to tell us.

Shred noted; "- You might be one of those guys that wants to 'do it all themselves, their way'. "

In reality, don't you have to "do it all yourself" to get better? There's a lot of competitive shooting information available online these days and a lot more opportunities for training compared to just a few years ago. But you have to practice and figure out what works best for you on your own. Having a GM watch you run a stage and give you advice on what to improve can help with essential things that can help make gains faster relative to "doing it all by yourself," but you still have to practice and reflect, rinse and repeat, and continue learning.

If you compare this sport to other aspects of life you will find lots of similarities. For example, I've always tried to stay in shape and workout in the gym. The "path of least resistance" group thinks that buying the latest exercise gizmo, diet program, or training with some pro bodybuilder will net them quicker results. In reality it is a lifestyle that includes healthy eating and lots of time exercising. People are always looking for shortcuts or the "secrets." There aren't any shortcuts nor secrets. It takes time to shed weight (in a healthy way), learning about nutrition, building muscle tone, and getting in aerobic shape. Over the long haul small gains accumulate. When someone that is 80 to 100 pounds overweight asks me how long will it take to burn off the fat, build muscle tone, and get in good shape I tell them the truth--three days a week one hour minimum actively working out, walk three days a week for at least 20 minutes, cut deserts and simple carbs/reduce processed food intake, don't try to rush it---and three years later you will be on the doorstep of getting to where you want to be.

I find the same true of our sport. My goal is on improvement over the long haul. I just shot two matches in the past couple of weeks after a long stretch due to the Covid situation, but I focused on 2 or 3 small areas that I wanted to improve. I noticed improvement in the matches. But I must continue practicing and also start focus on other things such as improving shooting on the move. If a GM tells a new shooter the "truth" about how much time and practice would be required the effect will likely be the same that you get with the overweight person. I only know one GM personally and I do know how much time he put into training. He is not married and has a job and situation that allowed him to practice. He spent his time "getting in shape." There is not shortcut.

23 hours ago, konkapot said:

My wife runs the pad a lot at matches, if someone asks to look at it, to see whatever,  she smiles and hands them he pad and walks away before they can hand it back. 🙂