Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So I Did My First USPSA Match....

Flea

12 hours ago, bludog said:

First match, first stage --a couple of FTE and a few mics.  After my hands stopped shaking , it got better as the morning went along.  I did not get DQ"d--called it a win. Learned a lot.

Bit of advice. Old saying by one of the best MD/RM I have ever had the honor to shoot his match. Every shooter meeting ended the same. "Shooting is optional, resetting is mandatory."

Do as much resetting & taping as possible. You will learn the stages and target locations from this side much faster. You will find angles & hidden targets that you may not see from your walk thru. Save the talk of how great everyone's triggers are and what the best gun is for between taping & resetting.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

Also most matches need all shooters to help tear down the stages and put everything away.  If they set up the morning of the match help is needed setting up the stages.

Some clubs may give a discounted or free match to those who design and set up stages but all those other people setting up and tearing down paid for their match too. Occasionally you will see shooters who think because they paid they don't need to work. Sometimes they just need to have the situation and expectations explained to them. 

• 2 months later...

Sharko,

I had exactly the same problem.  I hadn't shot a match in a long time.  Last week did one and did bad.  Came in second to last.  Forgot to shoot many targets!  Wife took a video of it.  Fast forward to the match part...

Buy some IPSC targets (or get free used ones after a match from the garbage) and practice shooting them - to get used to the index of your sights on the target in right place to get A's. And most of those faster shooters you watch - are aiming at a specific point on the target each shot. You have to choose what your focus point is based on what you need to see... to start, I'd focus on shooting at YOUR pace and see what you need to see your sight on target to shoot mostly A's. Don't race to pull the trigger faster if you aren't seeing what you need each shot.  Visual Patience (notice I didn't say slower/faster).

Keep practicing it will get easier.

• 8 months later...
On 3/21/2022 at 4:23 AM, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Yeah but have your heard IIIIIIF you're finished, unload and show clear?

This... this is the one you don't want to hear lololol. But as others have echoed, just focusing on completing your first several matches safely is a win. Once you've got a couple dozen under your belt and your are feeling more confident on the course and on the clock, I recommend taking a RO or SO class. It's a great opportunity to get familiar with the rule book and gives you some insight into the sport you can't always get just by showing up and shooting. 

So I went to the Florida open….. Don’t get me started. Fee was $220. A bit steep im told, but Ok. It was my first match outside of my club but it was still a Level 1.  The match description on their website said lunch would be provided and that it would be a 2-day match. So, wanting to get more info such as how many rounds to take and general questions I had, contacted the match director and that’s when I find out it was only one day. Ok no biggie bc I was local. But what about those who traveled by air expecting 2 days…. But I digress. Then come to find out, lunch was only for match staff… I guess my general feel for “shooting” part of the the experience was great. But the admin and info dissemination was horrible. Their website still has old information. Oh, and Ask me if I’ve been able to purchase the match jersey supposedly available on Techwear?? Yup, you guessed it. Another mess. 

23 minutes ago, Chapo said:

So I went to the Florida open….. Don’t get me started. Fee was $220. A bit steep im told, but Ok. It was my first match outside of my club but it was still a Level 1.  The match description on their website said lunch would be provided and that it would be a 2-day match. So, wanting to get more info such as how many rounds to take and general questions I had, contacted the match director and that’s when I find out it was only one day. Ok no biggie bc I was local. But what about those who traveled by air expecting 2 days…. But I digress. Then come to find out, lunch was only for match staff… I guess my general feel for “shooting” part of the the experience was great. But the admin and info dissemination was horrible. Their website still has old information. Oh, and Ask me if I’ve been able to purchase the match jersey supposedly available on Techwear?? Yup, you guessed it. Another mess. 

All of that is 100% match director responsibility/ fault. Sounds like MD did a poor job but trust me the vast majority do a far better job.

I shoot USPSA 2/3 size targets ( https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Eze-Scorer-Practice-Target-18-Inch/dp/B00HQQSASU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2226DADD3UZMF&keywords=birchwood+casey+eze-scorer+ipsc+practice+target&qid=1678658854&sprefix=birchwood+casey+ipsc%2Caps%2C642&sr=8-3 ) and 8 inch round targets ( https://www.amazon.com/Casey-Dirty-Bird-Target-inch/dp/B000STNWB2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QQ5EHI0BVC2C&keywords=dirty%2Bbird%2Btargets&qid=1678658948&sprefix=dirty%2Bbird%2Btar%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-2&th=1 ) when I practice.  The 8 inch round targets are equal to a mini popper or 2/3 full size popper.  For the 2/3 size targets and poppers, 5 yards is equal to 7 1/2 yards, 7 yards is equal to 10 1/2 yards, and 10 yards is equal to 15 yards.  It really helps me practice where to aim on the target while I'm shooting.  It also allows me to simulate various classifiers by using a black sharpie and drawing lines on the target to represent hard cover/no shoots.  It's not exactly the same as the classifier, but allows me to get valuable practice time during my training at an indoor range.

• 6 months later...