Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Acceptable ROF?

In this case I mean ROF as in rate of failure.  

We all know that semi automatic shotguns typically have a higher rate of failure than our other guns. (extraction, ejection, failure to return to battery, failure to feed, etc.) 

My question is what is your idea of an acceptable rate of failure? (as in, "as long as it does _____ I won't get rid of it)

For pistol and rifle, my bottom line is 1 failure in 1000 rounds or .1% with ANY factory ammo.  My guns easily have lived up to that, but my shotgun that I finally have running pretty well is NOWHERE NEAR THAT. 

So the question again is, what's a good baseline?

I have a vr80 and as long as I do my part ( keep it clean and oiled) use ammo it likes then I expect it to function as reliably as my pistols and rifles.
But it does need to be cleaned more often, in a nutshell I expect it to fire everytime I pull the trigger and do it reliably. It's does as long as my part.
I don't think I would go much past 100 - 150 rounds without cleaning the gas system, I have shot 500 rounds of 00buck with only 3 failures, gun was dirty.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

"Failure is not an option".......

I Clean lubricate and maintain my firearms religiously, and feed them high quality ammo. What amazes me is those who will maintain a vehicle with proper scheduled maintenance but let their firearms go to failure before replacing something as simple as an extractor or spring. I can not remember a Non-ammo related failure in a long time. Even when using high quality or carefully inspected re loads, there's an occasional miss hap. Its no where near 1/1,000. My shotgun was always the Achilles heal and it used to drive me crazy. My original shotgun 20+ yrs ago was a Remington 1100, that never malfunctioned on me in the 3 years I rode it hard. But everybody in-the-know told me it would break, so I sold it and tried an FN SLP, Mossberg 930, Benelli M2, and the Stoeger M3000. All of those except the Stoeger gave me at least one problem per match. Sometimes the M2 would go a couple of matches. Now I've come full circle back to Remington with a brand new V3 Competition. So far zero malfunctions in more than 1000 rds........... Fingers crossed!

Shooting clays, I bet I’m one failure out of 10k rounds.

On my 3gun Stoeger A3500, I get failures fairly frequently... but I feed it crappy reloads for practice (old hulls, 1oz reclaimed shot). I shot 75 rounds today, got a failure to feed. Shot some clp in it and it cured itself. I’ll run a couple hundred more next week and see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an MKA1919 built by Tooth & Nail about 5-6 years ago. Using Winchester AA 1145fps #7.5 or#8 my failure rate is less than 1%. Again keeping it clean & lubricated. I have broken a couple of parts over the years. But it runs reliably. I have a 24, 18, 12, & several 10 & 5 round mags that all work. I have learned what slugs it likes and that when I use #6 Prairie Storm for spinners it doesn't like them and will occasionally have a misfeed, but worth it to spin it in 2 rounds. This is due to running a light recoil spring and I think the hot rounds over run the bolt.

My son & granddaughter both run Benelli M2s and they both run as close to 100% as can be. Don't even remember the last time either one had a failure with AA1145 rounds. We do change the TTI springs every couple of years along with the mag spring. 

Here in Texas running shotgun rounds with hard/stiff hulls help with reliability due to the heat deforming cheaper hulls. 

gerritm

I think I'd be fine with a <1% failure rate as long as I could use most loads.  I've been trying to get my M3000 there and I've eliminated "Benelli click" and failures to feed.  If I can just get better extraction/ejection out of it, I think I'd be happy.  Oddly enough, it's struggling more with the hot loads than the light ones, but I think that's do to the extractor slipping off the rim so it makes sense.

I get why it's hard to make a shotgun run as reliably as a 9mm, but dangit if that ain't the dream I'm chasing anyway.

My shotgun is easily my most reliable gun. Inside of 10k rounds I tried two very questionable kinds of buckshot it didn't like at all, maybe 10 malfunctions, found two boxes of cheap wal mart bulk ammo that had deformed hulls, surprisingly it ran most of them. Had some hulls bounce off walls and back into the action, obviously not the guns fault. So maybe 25 malfunctions under 10k rounds, all with easily identified and remedied causes. Somewhere between 10 and 11k I started getting some erratic behavior from some of the important springs that I cut when I first got the gun, replaced them and I've got another 3k rounds of zero malfunctions since.

So in 13.5k ish rounds, 35-45 malfunctions total mostly caused by horrible ammo, something like a .25% failure rate?

My shotgun is a Benelli M2 worked over by Accurate Iron. It has never failed me no matter what cheap bulk pack ammo I run in it. Even Winchesters, which seem to have a reputation with reliability, have never failed me. 

Edited by Matt1911