Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
kneelingatlas

Wilson Combat checkering

I found these Wilson Combat checkering panels for $9.95 each, so I thought I'd see if I could make them work on a CZ.  They're a little big for the flat spots on the frame so I'll have to cut them down to size.

IMG_20200606_184814.thumb.jpg.3db7bae47c2ac77c5ed40112613b527b.jpg

They're thinner than I expected (0.006") so they can't be welded, but I think I can glue them on, either with epoxy or JB Weld, any thoughts? Should I sand the frame to bare metal or glue right to the coating?

EGW used to have checkering inserts that are welded on. At one time they offered a service to EDM a front strap pocket for the insert to fit into.

Rich

From looking at bonded metal parts on planes, cars and motorcycles I'd say bare metal. And I'd look for something more than 2 part epoxy from Home Depot.

Why not contact Wilson's and tell them what you are doing and what they would recommend.

The checkering is not cut into the metal like I expected, but rather pressed through like the fine side of a cheese grater.  I decided the finished product would likely be a disappointment, so I packed them up and shipped them back.

I've found a gunsmith who does checkering with a laser for $175 front and back, so I think I'll give him a try.

33 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

The checkering is not cut into the metal like I expected, but rather pressed through like the fine side of a cheese grater.  I decided the finished product would likely be a disappointment, so I packed them up and shipped them back.

I've found a gunsmith who does checkering with a laser for $175 front and back, so I think I'll give him a try.

I have one too and I didn't like it. There is another type of better quality from Behlert's .

Behlert`S Checkered Front Strap For P9, Blued For Sale at ...

21 minutes ago, yigal said:

I have one too and I didn't like it. There is another type of better quality from Behlert's .

Behlert`S Checkered Front Strap For P9, Blued For Sale at ...

Is he still operating?

2 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

Is he still operating?

i don't know i have this part  25 y.😀