Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

South Paw needs ambidextrous Safety for Tanfo Series88 in 9mm

DonJones

My TZ 75 is probably 25 years old and has only had approximately 50 fired through it so it is still practically new. I'm getting weaker in both hand, especially my off hand (right) so one thing I'm looking at is lessening the strength required to manually rack the action. Recently I've found myself manually cocking the hammer to ease up on the pressure required to rack the slide, but I'm not pleased with that because it might possibly cause a accidental discharge. I'd appreciate any suggests to avoid handling the hammer.

My biggest problem though is having to carry it with the SAFETY in the fire position because I can't reach it with my left thumb. In one of his excellent videos on tunning the TZ 75s, Memphis Mechanic show an Ambidextrous safety and I have been looking for one for nearly as long as I've owned the gun. The TZ shop keeps telling me that it can't be done, but I know better. All it takes is a safety with a longer shaft and another lever on the outside of the right frame rail. Does anyone know of anyone who sells one, preferably a drop in item or one that takes a minimum of fitting? Carrying any gun cocked but not locked worries me but my trigger finger  strength just almost isn't strong enough to do it any other way without an ambidextrous safety.

Also, what is the most common lub people are using on their semiautomatic pistols now days? I am probalbly more iterested in time between applications than reducing friction.

Man, it was sure a surprise when I learned how popular the TZ were and how many copies of them have been made over the years.

Happy shooting to you all.

While I do not know; what are the differences between that pistol and CZ? Is there any compatibility? Could a CZ ambi safety be 'coached into fitting (or at least be a starting point for machining)?

Yeah, I'd look at CZ parts to see if anything is usable.  Also poke around for Springfield P9 parts.  IIRC those were rebranded Tanfos from just prior to the Series 88 era and were commonly converted to race guns.

The P9 parts are probably gonna be the ticket. A bit of a warning about them however. They use a two piece safety, sort of a tongue and groove . There is a notch in the tongue and a notch in the groove. When put together, these notches line up, and the long end of a spring (forget which spring it is) locks the two pieces together. Under recoil, that spring can slip out of that notch, and both sides of the safety can come loose and fall out of the gun. I've got two of the old P9's, and it was so common on one that I converted it to a single sided safety. IIRC, the safety I used to convert it was a CZ75. I'll see if I can find the old safeties and take some pics.

Well, couldn't find both sides, but this is the right side of the safety. 

20200607_140011.jpg

20200607_140007.jpg