Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brekke CompXtension setup

Hey all,

I'm sure most of you have seen the current setup Max Leograndis is running from Brekke Custom by now. I ended up getting on the first list for the full barrel/extension/handguard combo and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed. I decided to try it out as my main upper and have my 16" franken-JP build as a back up should the need arise.

The quality and finish is killer, and the weight is amazing. I ordered the 10.5" barrel (there is a 12" option) with the Smoke Composites rail and the total weigh is 1lb 9 oz.

My build is mostly complete although I'm waiting for some parts to get back in stock from places, that being said I poached my bolt and charge handle from my upper and used a Holosun 503GU I had sitting around to get it running until I get a Holosun 510 and ICRW Copperhead 3.0 bolt.

My PCC comes in at a hair over 6 lbs now and transitions with the weight being toward the back feel good and dot movement is pretty low. I'm currently testing loads to see what works best with it and also debating moving away from coated bullets to avoid buildup in the comp - currently running 125gr Blue Bullet RN at 3.6g Titegroup and through the 10.5" barrel I'm getting 146pf which is a tad snappy but runs well. I also tried Everglades 124gr RN plate with 3.6g Titegroup which produced 141pf and I could avoid buildup in the comp with those projectiles. I did notice once I swapped out my 308 rifle spring to a 308 carbine spring that it felt a bit softer so that helped. This same load made 143pf confirmed at Area 8 last summer in my 16" upper so the shorter barrel increases PF a little but not significantly. I may play with loads a little bit further to see how they work.

This barrel is also very accurate, I zeroed my PCC at 10 yards (which doesn't sound like much and will probably be 2" high at 25 yards if it's similar to my 16" upper) and put 10 rounds in a group about the size of a quarter. I could probably have made it a bit tighter but either way I was happy and if the gun is THAT zeroed, anything off is my fault.

I'm looking forward to running it in a match and seeing how it feels when moving in and out of shooting positions but at the moment, match season here in New England is still dead thanks to covid.

IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6285.jpg

Edited by mellino19

Congratulations on your new build. Your gun looks great. If I can ask what barrel and upper/lower did you choose? Have you had any jams with the new setup? I'm looking into getting a new PCC for my local matches. I thank you for your time.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:50 AM, mellino19 said:

I ordered the 10.5" barrel (there is a 12" option) with the Smoke Composites rail and the total weigh is 1lb 9 oz.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.. I have been eyeing this setup for a while and really like the design.. very out of the box : )

Did you supply your own barrel or did Brekke supply the barrel?

Also you mention 1lb 9oz.  Is that weight for the barrel + extension, or does it INCLUDE the HANDGUARD?

25 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

Did you supply your own barrel or did Brekke supply the barrel?

Also you mention 1lb 9oz.  Is that weight for the barrel + extension, or does it INCLUDE the HANDGUARD?

So on Instagram, Brekke offered multiple setups. The list I got on was for a Brekke-supplied barrel, with the CompXtension installed, pinned, welded, and blended, AND the smoke composites handguard. You can buy the CompXtension individually and install it on your own barrel. You can also send him a barrel and have him install/pin/weld/blend the barrel and purchase a handguard separately, there's plenty of ways you could go about this setup honestly.

The 1lb 9 oz is the full barrel WITH handguard and mounting hardware. It's pretty crazy how light it is all together.

I bought the same setup. Also, got the 10.5" barrel. I have the handguard and barrel here, but I'm waiting on a new upper receiver to come in before I put it together. My current upper setup is 16" BSF carbon fiber barrel, APA The Answer brake/comp, Coda Evolution carbon fiber handguard, Blitzkrieg hydraulic buffer with short stroke weight, & a 1 pound TriggerTech Diamond. It's extremely reliable and fun as hell to shoot, but I was interested in this because of the better weight distribution, and I think the shorter barrel and open gun style comp on it should make it shoot a little bit flatter, but we shall see.

If nothing else, it looks cool as hell and gives me a backup setup :P

• 1 month later...

That is so awesome Mellino!!!

I got on the list for the 10.5" barrel/6" comp and handguard.  Can't wait!  Going to be fun passing the time building the lower.  Also ordered a custom length Smoke closed butt stock to round out all the carbon.  Happy camper.  

Got mine put together now. Timing the barrel nut was annoying as hell. I have to say the attachment method Coda Evolution uses for their carbon fiber handguards is MUCH nicer.

Anyway, haven't shot it yet. Might try it out this weekend.

74615503_2583418875309282_3674628917592512739_n.png?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=aBfj9LKp7osAX-GRpJM&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=fc4bd042f6cee55679b418022763e449&oe=5F38BC41

Edited by avastcosmicarena
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome build.  I'm on the list for the next batch which should be in within the next week or 2.  I ended up going with the 12.5 instead of the 10.5.  My natural support mount is farther up on the handguard and I wanted to keep that as an option.  We'll see how it is.  If i think it should be shorter I'll buy another and sell this one.  I think the 12.5 will be the perfect blend between recoil impulse and lightweight.

• 7 months later...
15 minutes ago, eerw said:

Resurrecting this old thread.

so now that you’ve had chance to run these. Any differences between the 10.5” barrel and the 12.5 barrel?

Also, interested you y'alls experience with the platform.

Stuart,

I initially had the 10.5/6 combo tuned for a righty.  I liked it so much I bought a second setup.  Brekke offers the black Stern bolt (I have 2 of the Echo shiny ones).    I can't speak to the 12.5/4 setup.  

From the Brekke site:

Because 9mm velocities tend to drop in between 10-12″,

I remember Max stating (on a video?) he wanted to run the 10.5 but Aaron didn't have one for him so he ran the 12.5 in 2019.  I'm 5'7" and my support hand reach stays behind the comp.  This is why I opted for the 10.5 barrel and run 115g pills.

Shooting wise; it's far more accurate than I am!  I've shot a variety of PCCs in the local area and nothing feels this comfortable in my hands.  The balance is just right.  My take (IMHO), is a barrel over 10.5 is nose heavy.  It's an A zone rager. 

Edited by WxGuy
On 3/5/2021 at 11:16 PM, eerw said:

Resurrecting this old thread.

so now that you’ve had chance to run these. Any differences between the 10.5” barrel and the 12.5 barrel?

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't getting post notifications on this for some reason!

I wish I had experience with the 12.5" barrel but unfortunately not, I can at least shed light on my experience with the 10.5" build.

That being said, here's my update after shooting it this summer!

When I first set the gun up as you see in the original post, I ran it a few matches and initially was having a hard time adjusting from the 16" JP franken-build that was once my main gun. The dot movement and recoil was throwing me off, along with having less weight out front. Honestly, I wasn't thrilled with it in a match setting at first, but plinking a plate rack the range was a bit different. This upper was initially run on my originally PCC lower which has a carbine buffer tube, blitzkrieg 5015hd buffer with 2.6oz spacer weight for short stroke, and a 308 JP rifle spring - that lower ran amazing with the 16" upper but with the Brekke it felt bouncier and harder hitting on the shoulder.

Eventually, I bought a lower from a friend (@Bdh821) and upgraded the recoil system along with what Max Leograndis had suggested with this new upper design. I installed an A5 buffer tube and the Blitzkrieg 5020SS buffer with the Sprinco Orange buffer spring. this gun now runs BETTER than my original/first 16" PCC! I managed to get this configuration done just before A7 and basically used that match as the proving ground for the new recoil system especially since I got to the range ONCE after setting it up (brave maybe but I had a backup gun in case) and the gun ran AWESOME. I will say I'm still running a hotter lot and A7 chrono proved that I was at 146pf as previously mentioned so it's rather hot but quick and flat. I do have 115s on the way to try and load in the 130-135pf range as Max also suggests with this upper.

The match season here in New England was meh given covid so I only got out to may be 6 matches all summer but once I got the gun running the way I did for A7 I've been very happy with it. I'd even like to upgrade my 16" pcc to a duplicate setup but that's not just replacing the upper unfortuantely.

If you look at this Google Drive video, you can see the differences between my original gun and the brekke pcc https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ftkmc13t-CGtnUYuYPX77f2XsQeAwFbK/view?usp=sharing

Here it is now in it's current glory to remain unchanged; if you know me, I can't leave anything alone but this gun is staying how it is!

1344534348_brekkepcc.thumb.jpg.d108be13a2663fcf3896a2b7ee23f2b3.jpg

Edited by mellino19
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RIPsaw475 said:

Do you think the brekke A5 tube/kynshot combo and 12.5 barrel set up will work with the Taccom short stroke bolt and provided spacer I have or just grab the stern defense bolt while I am shopping? 

Thanks

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with the A5. I think the whole point of the A5 tube was to not have to modify a bolt and it ensures reliability and proper trigger reset as the bolt can travel back a bit further for the reset. 

I tried the JP and ICRW (Gen 3 Mohawk) bolt in a regular carbine tube with the 5020SS and the trigger wouldn’t reset and once I switched to the A5 as Max had said, zero issues. I don’t know how much modification taccom does to their SS bolt. You could always just try it out and have an A5 tube on standby to install.

The kynshot short stroke buffer needed the A5 tube as would not let my bcg ( stern defense) back far enough to reset.

My QC10 buffer would work with the carbine tube.

running A5 with the blitzkrieg kynshort short stroke buffer.

894D165D-FCE7-4494-AEF8-A086DC6A181C.jpeg.d0892c4009b80629c4142abcf957deed.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...