Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 Shadow RDS vs CZ75 Bull shadow OR

KlausN

I have been a member for some time and found some very useful information here in the past.  This I my first time posting and asking for advice. Due to “old age”, I am thinking about switching from production and limited to Carry Optics.  
My production gun is a SP01 shadow and my backup a CZ 75 shadow TAC II which I both enjoy shooting, but favorite gun is my Tanfo Limited Custom.  I am trying to decide between a SP01 Shadow RDS 91158 and a CZ 75 bull shadow OR 91725. The red dot will be a Trijicon SRO.
Does anyone have experience with the Bull shadow?  I picked the SP01 over the shadow 2, when I started, because I thought 1 gun for IDPA and USPSA would be an advantage but I am gravitating more and more to USPSA. BTW  I can’t afford open.
Any suggestions and/or advice on which C.O. gun to pick?

The Tanfo “fits” my hand better than the SP01/75 but it is a no go for CO. By fit, I mean the larger grip;  both of my CZ have modified Lok Palm swell grips.  My hand position is also “higher” on the Tanfo which I like..   I also don’t want to spend the money on an Atlas and buy all new mags :o), not saying that I don’t want one just can’t afford one.

sp01 RDS   vs   cz75 Bull OR   vs   shadow 2 OR    vs    the gun I didn’t think about?

I’m in a similar situation as you. I love shooting USPSA and IDPA in SS, but my eyes don’t cooperate anymore. After trying different red dot guns at the range, I decided to get the SP01 Shadow, sent them to CZ_custom and had them milled for RDS.

I dont live in a free state but I always wanted a shadow 2 orange. I ended up buying an extra shadow 2 slide and having it milled for czc plates and bushing modification. Should be done in a few weeks.

So I have my factory slide and this optic slide. I really wanted a direct milling but optics keep changing and I would rather change a plate then get another slide.

I will have an official opinion once I get my slide back.

Oh yeah most important part. I had a fully cajunized sp01 shadow with 10x barrel bushing. Factory shadow 2 made me look like a pro shooter when I picked it up so I went shadow 2 all the way. So of your two options I would say bull shadow maybe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Since you like the Tanfo better why not wait till Patriot Defense gets their aftermarket slides completed and have it milled for an optic. (Never mind didn’t see the Limited Custom part)

I currently have an SP01 milled by CZC with the RDS plate and am currently building out an SP01 Bull Shadow also milled out by CZC with the RDS plate. Really looking forward to getting the Bull Shadow finished up its balanced really well.

Edited by mveto

1 hour ago, KlausN said:

Mveto,  if you had to choose between a sp01, a CZ 75 bull and a shadow 2 which one would it be for C.O.?

If you like Tanfo so much why not the new Stock 2 Optic Ready that just came to the US....or the Shadow 2 Optic Ready which just came to the US also in the last 2 months............the weight limit for CO has been upped so both will be legal now and if you ever want to you can take the optic off and put the plate on with attached rear sight, gives you more options than buying a gun and getting it milled

4 hours ago, KlausN said:

Mveto,  if you had to choose between a sp01, a CZ 75 bull and a shadow 2 which one would it be for C.O.?

For me the Bull Shadow, there is just something about the bull barrel, it’s a great gun. The  shadow 2 would be a close second however, and the SP01 a close third, but not having a firing pin block on the bull and  shadow 2 you can really reduce all the extra travel in the trigger over guns that have the lifter.

I have been contemplating a Bull Shadow with RDS for quite a while.  Now that USPSA upped the weight limited for production, I might get the SP01 version.  For my existing SP01 Shadow, I have two slides...one irons, one milled for optics, and just switch off.  Would be considerably more expensive with Bull versions, so I like the idea of the plate/iron sights with the RDS system.

Actually, I'd be fine just getting the bull-slide with the RDS, but the pistol's grip frame needs some more room milled out inside the dustcover.

Edited by MoRivera

You don’ t have to send it out for milling if you’re handy with tools(dremel). If it is a sp01, you just need to remove the raised portion in the front of the inside dustcover. Dremel first for the rough cut, then sand for final fitting. You may have to lap the slide to the frame just in case it is a tight fit. 
thank you,

Mark Santos

Thanks everyone.  I settled on a SP01 Shadow RDS from CZC.  I would have liked the bull shadow but the additional $800 and the unknown interchangeability pushed be towards the SP01.  One thing to note, the RDS plate for the SRO requires a different screw length than the one provided by Trijicon.  The needed screws are not included with the gun or RDS plate either.

Trijicon ships a flat head Torx  #6-32 x 1/2", I am guessing the needed length should be 3/8" which does not seem to be a standard length for flat head torx.  This might be similar for all CZ RDS plates for the SRO?  In case i really like CO, i just have to buy another gun, possible a Stock II.

It is no big deal, I bought 25 screws for $4 (0.16/ea) plus $5 shipping.  This can be easily fixed by CZC including a $1 option to recommend you to purchase the correct screws from them, with the plate.  And yes, I can use a Dremel but, if I don’t like CO I will gift the SRO to my wife and the standard screws fit her Q5.  I just wanted to make others aware that other screws might be needed or the original ones shortened. 

3 minutes ago, KlausN said:

Interesting, the screws I received with the SRO are 12.7mm or 1/2”.  I would have needed to take almost 3mm off.

786427A5-7F41-42BF-9802-6482EE3E6BA7.jpeg

I’ve trimmed the screws for all 4 of my SRO’s to fit the RDS plate system. Basically had to trim them all to about the top of the yellow thread locker. The way I’ve done it is removed the RDS plate from the slide and installed the optic, with the screws sticking out below the RDS plate I use a silver sharpie to mark the screws so I know how much to trim off. I screw on two 6-32 nuts to the mark and use it as a guide to make sure I don’t remove to much, it also helps to clean up the threads after cutting.