Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going to Attend a CRO course - what to know ahead of time?

Bagellord

Like the title says, I am going to be attending a CRO course soon. I've been an RO for a year and a half or so, only worked two majors, but I am the Steel Challenge MD for my club and I have been helping to run our USPSA matches for the past two years. Prior to COVID, I had planned on working at least two majors this year but both of those got pushed to the fall. Still planning to work them (including classic nats).

Anyone have any pointers or advice going into a CRO course?

3 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

There is (or was when I took it) also considerable focus on Arbitrations. You might want to give Chapter 11 a careful read. 

This was a focus during my class. We even held a mock arbitration.

5 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

There is (or was when I took it) also considerable focus on Arbitrations. You might want to give Chapter 11 a careful read. 

Good to know. I will give that chapter another read. In the pre-class materials they have several arbitration scenarios spelled out.

I think it'll somewhat depend on which instructor you get. I dont recall doing very much with arbitrations in mine 2 years ago. We paired off and each had an arb scenario in the workbook that we had to resolve and then explain.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

As with quite a bit of the content of the NROI courses, the CRO arbitrations are all based on real events.

My advice:

1.  Rely on the rulebook rather than local match events (which may have been handled incorrectly).

2.  Don't embarrass yourself by not knowing the correct range commands.

Just like the RO seminar, the CRO seminar is only the start of the learning.

20 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

Ha! Out of curiosity, how common is arbitration these days? I have not been around that long, but the closest I've seen was at a sectional a few years ago, but that was avoided.

I was a part of one and it was a total debacle. Maybe if they were more common they would be handled better

Ha! Out of curiosity, how common is arbitration these days? I have not been around that long, but the closest I've seen was at a sectional a few years ago, but that was avoided.
I'm only aware of a handful at the major matches I've attended over the last 5 years. I think most were fairly mundane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk