Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Luggage tracker with gun case when flying?

So, I am making all of the arrangements to fly to Florida, and I started getting ads and pop ups for luggage trackers.  I will admit I had never thought about that, but now that I am, it does have a certain appeal.  One of my main irrational fears is something going awry with my firearm.

Trackimo 3G Travel Tracker Device with Light Detector

So, any of you that have flown with firearms, have you ever used any of these, and what do you think about their effectiveness and if the piece of mind (real or imagined)  is worth the cost?  With regards to performance, does the $200 one really work 5 times better than the $40 variety?  I am not afraid of spending $$, but I like to know what I am buying is worth the cost...

Feel free to make specific recommendations or suggestions if there is one I should avoid or one you like.

I’ve not used any tracking devices.

I fly Delta and fly direct. The Delta app tells you when your bag has been loaded so you can relax.

It’s all a crap shoot as soon as you hand over your bag anyway. I’m not sure the tracking would be worth it to me.

I used the GEGO tracker last year to go to matches around the US and other countries. 

It works well for what it does, but it's not going to show you where your bag is as a little bleeping dot trundling around a map of the airport and getting loaded onto the plane in real time.  I think none of them will, despite whatever promo videos they have.   Once it gets close enough you can use the bluetooth pinger to get closer (the main time that was useful for me was in Serbia trying to figure out which of the seven doors to baggage claim my gun case might be behind).  It also updates slowly at times (for aviation rules, it needs to shut up while it's in flight, so it takes a while to wake up again-- note that some of the cheap ones don't do what they're supposed to be on passenger planes so they could be in violation of the airline rules or local laws if you care about that.) which can cause some anxiety if it claims to be at the last airport instead of the one you are at now for 15+ minutes after you deplane.

Also, although you can turn the service off and on, they don't really like you doing that and hike the monthly fees after the promo period ends.

All that said, I do like having it and will continue to use it unless something significantly better comes along.