Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E3 vs. Bullseye

Cherokeewind

Just a quick FYI..........

In order to compare the "clean burning" characteristics of E3 and Beye, I loaded 6 rounds of Beye (5.5 grains, 200 gr. Xterme plated FP, Fed LP primer, OAL-1.230)

and 6 rounds of E3 (3.8 grains, 200 gr. xtreme plated FP, Fed LP primer, OAL 1.230).

I then fired 6 rounds of the Beye load throught my previously cleaned 625JM and closely inspected the chambers, barrel, under the extractor, and the empty cases for unburned powder and debris.  As expected there was almost no debris found.

After cleaning the 625JM I fired 6 rounds of the E3 load, upon inspection almost no debris was found.

Granted 6 rounds doesn't tell much but at least I can now expect that the E3 powder won't be any worse than Beye.

No chrono data and no accuracy comparison yet. 

7 hours ago, Cherokeewind said:

Since there seems to be very little data for E3 in handguns, I'm interested in learning what other E3 users are loading...........

Use Clays data.  My bullseye load is RP HS brass, CCI300, 3.4gr e3, 200gr LSWC for 726 fps and SD 4.97.  I tried from 3.2 to 3.8 and this load was the most accurate and consistent.  A WLP bumps the velocity to 731 and ups the SD to 5.35.

I use e3 for 45, 40 and 9mm loads.

• 1 month later...

Bullseye is acceptably clean at higher pressure but when you try to load softer it's downright filthy. It's a very old formulation and the only reason to use it anymore is that it's cheap, easy to find, meters well enough and is very accurate for certain loadings. I used a metric assload of it back in the day for .45acp match ammo, but here in the 21st century there are better powders.

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, Indy574 said:

I love Bullseye, but I am curious to try some e3.  Thought about trying some WST but it’s limited to what I can use it for. How is e3 on multiple calibers?  This is what reload....9mm, 45acp, 38sp, 357mag, 44mag. 

It will work in all of the above for minor loads.  You can make major in 45, but not in the other four.  Personally, I'd use a slower powder for 357 and 44.

3 hours ago, Indy574 said:

I love Bullseye, but I am curious to try some e3.  Thought about trying some WST but it’s limited to what I can use it for. How is e3 on multiple calibers?  This is what reload....9mm, 45acp, 38sp, 357mag, 44mag. 

I use WST in 9mm and 45auto with good results. I have a friend that runs it in 38 with similar findings. There is currently data for 38 and 45 auto but not 9,357or 44. Back 30+ years ago there was data on 9s but was dropped. It's a good powder for 9 / 45 target loads in my opinion.