Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First 1911 build

john pen

Putting together my first 1911 open build. So far, was thinking, a Caspian / Foster frame, Clark barrel and comp with a Heavy armor division slide. I’m going 38 super as I already reload same and have brass, mags, leather ect. I have not been able to find much info on the slide. Is anyone familiar or had any experience ? It is at a lower price point which kind of worry’s me, but the few reviews I’ve found seem good. Most reviews are on their Glock slides and folks seem happy with the quality.

Suggestions or opinions on any of the above ?  

Open guns run violently.  You want first rate components.  That eliminates Caspian/Foster/STI and several others.  Now that Warwick Tactical is no longer taking orders for slides and frames, or short blocks, there are only two other places I would buy from.  They are JEM Guns and Brazos Custom.  Brazos Custom will sell you the same slide and frame they use in their Open guns, machine fit and out the door in a couple of working days.  They will not build you and Open short block now.  You can also add one of their TruBore barrels with their custom comp cuts and fit it yourself.  JEM will take longer, but will build you a short block if you supply the barrel.

28 minutes ago, shred said:

BS.  Caspian slides are fine.  I've got two with 70,000+ rounds of Major Open loads on each.

Is this a single-stack Open gun? 

Yes, ... NYS. This will be my first venture into open. If I get to the point where I go to out of state matches, it will be a good excuse for a new gun..

10 hours ago, shred said:

BS.  Caspian slides are fine.  I've got two with 70,000+ rounds of Major Open loads on each.

Nonsense.  I've had to return two to Caspian because they were so far out of spec I couldn't use them.  The one I'm finishing now has the top lugs slightly out of place, so I'll have to cut the barrel lugs to get a perfect fit.  There are good Caspian slides out there.  It all depends on which lot your slide came from.  As far as I'm concerned, I'll not use another.  That goes for Caspian frames as well.  I had to send one of them back.  I can't deal with the inconsistencies. 

That's why I use JEM Guns stuff.  While placing an order with EGW I mentioned how disappointed I was with Caspian slides and STI receivers.  I asked if they had any recommendations.  One of them was JEM Guns.  Evidently JEM had asked EGW to manufacture some matching parts like a grip safety.  JEM sent 15 1911 receivers up as requested.  EGW measured every one and said they were perfect.  So I started using JEM stuff.  I can say I agree with EGW.  Every 1911 receiver, 2011 frame and slide has been spot on.

To jp, if you are going to use Caspian anything, order it directly from them.  They will make good on anything defective.  That is not always the case when you buy it through a distributor, as I found out with the last slide.

I've used a LOT Caspian stuff over the years, but the past couple, they've gotten very inconsistent in terms of quality and specs.  If you're going to use their stuff, make sure you check everything over closely before you start work.