Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22lr for PCC practice

Okay.  I downloaded the Instruction Manual and the Trouble Shooting manual.  I spoke to Steve at Hiperfire.  He said there is nothing he can do about the creep over the phone.  If I send it in he will fix it, but I'll be without the trigger for two weeks.   I'll have to wait until later in the season.  Oct is the first month I can be without it for two weeks.  Steve is sending a set of green springs to get the pull weight down to 2.5 lbs.  When I take the trigger apart to swap the springs I'll look at the rest of the parts.  Maybe I can see what the problem is and fix it.

Thanks for your help tomv.

So you have the red springs installed. Do you still have the green ones that came with the trigger? If so, you should try them. The green springs for the light trigger are much heavier than the red ones and are harder to install. I clamp my receiver in a vise with the front facing me.Then put the springs on their pins and grab the cross piece at the center  with a good sized  needle nosed pliers and pull the bar towards you while pushing down to get the bar in place. it's a good idea to put something soft behind the receiver to catch flying parts.

Changing the springs will change other characteristics of the trigger and maybe that will take the creep out. Don't ask me why, but i have experienced this.

12 minutes ago, tomv said:

So you have the red springs installed. Do you still have the green ones that came with the trigger?

The gun didn't come with any extra springs.  Steve is sending me a set of the greens.  I'll install them just as you suggest.

My 3 gun AR 15 is custom build with a velocity 3lb single stage trigger, and a Mtac 1-4x24 with MGM switch View. My 3 gun pistol is a Beretta 92 with a nice trigger job iron sights. I got a cmmg 22 conversion and three 25 round mags for my AR and a Beretta 22 conversion top end with 3 10 round mag for my Beretta 92. I used them to shoot steel challenge. I figure although it does not have the recoil of my real three gun calibers 223 and 9 mm, I think it helps in  Mounting and scope/sight on target and squeeze the trigger on both of them. Especially on my Beretta going double single. I figured any small Improvement will help me in 3 gun.

Edited by usmc1974

Forgot to mention that it's a good idea to blow the Hiperfire trigger mechanism out with compressed air when you clean the gun. It's especially important to blow it out when something weird starts to happen with the trigger. Not sure if this is unique to Hiperfire but I do know that they are sensitive to crud getting in the works.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot Volquartsen 22 rifles in steel challenge.  I wanted to give PCC a try - did not want to spend alot of money -- so i got the ruger pcc rifle.  The carry over from 22 to 9 went well.  I shoot the 22 alot and I rarely shoot the pcc.  But, when I shoot the pcc in a match it usually goes fairly well.  Not as fast as the rimfire, but not bad.  

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I built myself an AR-9 (Glock mag) to dabble in PCC. I already have an M&P 15-22 and now I use it to practice PCC.

As others have mentioned, there are a lot of things that can be done with the 22LR, for me: mounting (strong/weak side) the gun and fire, enter/exit position and fire, hard leans, moving between positions, etc.

Things that can't be done: reload, since the M&P doesn't use Glock mag, empty start, again due to mag difference and also the charging handle is way too light to pull on the M&P.