Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 Smearing .223 Primers

Hello,

I've been working on dialing my RL1100 in for .223 ammo, and I've been running into a problem. I'm smearing about 8-10% of primers (Winchester Small Rifle).

This is confusing to me, because I am swaging them twice: once on the prep toolhead, and once on the loading toolhead. The prep toolhead has a Mighty Armory swage backer, and the load toolhead has the Dillon swage backup/expander. Both the rounds that I pulled and removed the smeared primers from passed my Ballistic Tools primer pocket gauge.

I am running mixed brass. I know the Dillon recommendation is to sort brass by headstamp, but I've also seen a few guys on here say they run mixed brass through their 1050s without issue. The cases I inspected were both Wolf .223, which was odd because there were several other Wolf .223 cases that primed just fine. 

Any ideas? Attached is a pic of how far the swage rod is getting in the pocket, as well as the backup/expander position.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I had trouble with Wolf on my 550, and decided to not use it.  When I started loading on the 1050, ( see my other posts for trouble shooting issues I had) I still had a few wolf cases  in the mix of brass, and they did not seem to swage as well- so again I sorted out the Wolf and recycle it.  I am still having the issue, but not nearly as often.   There may be some ideas in my other string on my 1050 issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, MG08 said:

I had trouble with Wolf on my 550, and decided to not use it.  When I started loading on the 1050, ( see my other posts for trouble shooting issues I had) I still had a few wolf cases  in the mix of brass, and they did not seem to swage as well- so again I sorted out the Wolf and recycle it.  I am still having the issue, but not nearly as often.   There may be some ideas in my other string on my 1050 issues.

Interesting, I wonder if the crimp they use is harder to swage out for some reason. I ended up adjusting the swage up so hopefully that will improve things.