Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evo Auto Drive, settings?

I know the auto drive settings are user specific, but I'm curious as to what others are setting their auto drive to their own user specific settings.  I can't load 3500 an hour setting, however, the 3k to 2500 settings seems to be the happy medium. 3500 rounds per hour tends to give me issues

Setup settings 

3k rounds per hour

Index Speed 3

Top Dwell 1

Bottom Dwell 3

Bottom Slowdown- first (tick) mark setting

The Evo (and I think also the Revo) isn't designed to do active loading at 3500 RHP.  That's more a speed for brass processing.  3000 also.  (Those speeds were recently added to keep up with "the other guys", I'm told.)  None of this is in the manual, but then most of how the machine actually works isn't.   

OP's settings yield a net output of about 1700 RPH, because everything is slowed down so much.  I've been running 9mm at 2000 RPH, Index 1, and Bottom Dwell 1 and get the same yield of 1700 (slower, actually, due to stoppages, but that's another conversation).  Changing out primers takes 12-15 seconds every 100 rounds, so that also slows things a bit from 1700. 

I've been unable to run faster than 2000 with my own settings (above) because the primers and case feed go wacko at 2500 and up. 

I like echotango's settings.  They yield about 2080 RPH (minus primer changeovers), and the slower index may help with case feeding. The primer shuttle still whips around pretty fast, though.   I'm going to give this a try tomorrow and see how it turns out. 

My sensors include Swage (actually not real useful; Decap might be better unless it doesn't catch "ringers"), Primer tube, Primer Orientation (crucial), Powder Check, and BulletSense (a real pain to adjust but very useful - catches indexing failures as well as missed or fallen-over bullets).  

14 minutes ago, teros135 said:

The Evo (and I think also the Revo) isn't designed to do active loading at 3500 RHP.  That's more a speed for brass processing.  3000 also.  (Those speeds were recently added to keep up with "the other guys", I'm told.)  None of this is in the manual, but then most of how the machine actually works isn't.   

OP's settings yield a net output of about 1700 RPH, because everything is slowed down so much.  I've been running 9mm at 2000 RPH, Index 1, and Bottom Dwell 1 and get the same yield of 1700 (slower, actually, due to stoppages, but that's another conversation).  Changing out primers takes 12-15 seconds every 100 rounds, so that also slows things a bit from 1700. 

I've been unable to run faster than 2000 with my own settings (above) because the primers and case feed go wacko at 2500 and up. 

I like echotango's settings.  They yield about 2080 RPH (minus primer changeovers), and the slower index may help with case feeding. The primer shuttle still whips around pretty fast, though.   I'm going to give this a try tomorrow and see how it turns out. 

My sensors include Swage (actually not real useful; Decap might be better unless it doesn't catch "ringers"), Primer tube, Primer Orientation (crucial), Powder Check, and BulletSense (a real pain to adjust but very useful - catches indexing failures as well as missed or fallen-over bullets).  

I may slow down the settings from 3k to 2k.. I noticed way too many crushed primer issues 

49 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I may slow down the settings from 3k to 2k.. I noticed way too many crushed primer issues 

Yeah, me too.  The case feed system also seems to be happier at a slower speed.  Nature of the beast, y'know. 

Mine's a Revolution with the commercial feeder, MBF Pro, primer collator, Digital Powder Measure. I run it at:

index speed 3

Top Dwell 2

Bottom Dwell 2

Bottom Slowdown on the Third tick from left (Two over from min). 

Torquesense on 

Digital Clutch: 2

I load 9mm and I usually run mine at the speed setting of 3000 RPH. Sometimes I slow it down to 2500. I forget what the net output is,  I'll look at it next time I make a run. Those settings give me the most consistent OAL and Primer seating. and no powder spilage. I can run it at 3500 RPH - but it just sounds so violent, and I just don't have a need to run it that fast. I usually get some powder spillage too. I'm sure I could tune it out with index speed if I ever needed to run it that hard.

For sensors, I have decap sense, swage-sense, primer orientation, bullet-sense, powder-sense. I almost never have decap sense on because I generally preprocess my brass , so at least some of the brass int the hopper is decapped  already - and swage-sense catches any ringers that get thru (which almost never happens).

Mines been super solid at those settings. I just turn it on, hit my quick lube points, dump in primers, bullets, brass and go. I occasionally get stoppage due to a .380 Auto stuck in there, upside down primer, or upside down bullet. But in general it just runs.

4 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Mine's a Revolution with the commercial feeder, MBF Pro, primer collator, Digital Powder Measure. I run it at:

index speed 3

Top Dwell 2

Bottom Dwell 2

Torquesense on 

I load 9mm and I usually run mine at the speed setting of 3000 RPH. Sometimes I slow it down to 2500. I forget what the net output is,  I'll look at it next time I make a run. Those settings give me the most consistent OAL and Primer seating. and no powder spilage. I can run it at 3500 RPH - but it just sounds so violent, and I just don't have a need to run it that fast. I usually get some powder spillage too. I'm sure I could tune it out with index speed if I ever needed to run it that hard.

For sensors, I have decap sense, swage-sense, primer orientation, bullet-sense, powder-sense. I almost never have decap sense on because I generally preprocess my brass , so at least some of the brass int the hopper is decapped  already - and swage-sense catches any ringers that get thru (which almost never happens).

Mines been super solid at those settings. I just turn it on, hit my quick lube points, dump in primers, bullets, brass and go. I occasionally get stoppage due to a .380 Auto stuck in there, upside down primer, or upside down bullet. But in general it just runs.

Torque sense at 2? 🤔 mine is on 8 due to having 2 sizing dies but I was told by customer service that’s a good number. Personally, the auto drive has not run well below 5 torque sense 🥺

7 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Torque sense at 2? 🤔 mine is on 8 due to having 2 sizing dies but I was told by customer service that’s a good number. Personally, the auto drive has not run well below 5 torque sense 🥺

Are you loading 9mm or 38 SC?  Do you lube your brass? 

If it's  .223 or .308, I can understand the longer bottom dwell. 

(I load at 3, with 9mm and lube.  At 2 I get too many torque sensor stops.  At 3 I still get some ...)

Edited by teros135

My Revo:

• 2500 RPM
  • Index of 1
  • No dwell
  • All currently available sensors
  • Decap sensor off when loading as I only run processed brass
  • Clutch at 1 or 2

I am now able to load at 3000, and maybe even at 3500, the new collator piece I got seems to be working well. I also polished the collator up to get rid of the machine marks just after where the primers drop in. Only done a few hundred at 3000 and haven't chrono'd them yet. My only really concern is that at that speed the powder measure might fill slightly differently and give me different loads than what have set it to at a slower speed. When I did my powder accuracy testing I just turned off the bullet feeder and would run 20 or so cases into a bucket (letting the powder spill) and then grab 3 off the shellplate (Powder check position, bullet feed and bullet seat positions) and compare them. I guess I can do again at the different speeds, it's just boring to do so. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

....... the new collator piece I got seems to be working well. I also polished the collator up to get rid of the machine marks just after where the primers drop in.....

Do you have pictures of what you did?

2 minutes ago, echotango said:

I have tried 3000 several times but don't dig it.  2500 is my normal speed. 

Same, something always seems to go wrong at those speeds. Missed primer or shell plate doesn't advance. Not sure if those are related or not. 

8 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Yep, at 2. Loading 9mm and I lube my brass. Mine never goes off at 2. Well that's not true - it has gone off at 2, but only when there's a problem like a crushed case.  I generally preprocess my brass, but  lately have not been and it's still at 2 with no problems.

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

Yep, at 2. Loading 9mm and I lube my brass. Mine never goes off at 2. Well that's not true - it has gone off at 2, but only when there's a problem like a crushed case.  I generally preprocess my brass, but  lately have not been and it's still at 2 with no problems.

Thanks, I've been trying to process my own brass myself or just purchased processed brass..  Makes life completely easier! :)

24 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

Thanks, I've been trying to process my own brass myself or just purchased processed brass..  Makes life completely easier! :)

I just have a spare toolhead with a MA decapper in station 2, MA swage backer in 3, sizing die in 5, and then Lee U-die in 8, dump in the brass, and let it go. I'll set it up that way for a week or so and just dump some cases in every night, then load off that processed bucket for a while.  I can process faster than loading. it's amazing how much time you get back from no occasional stoppages for upside down bullet, or bullet that fell off on index, or upside primer, or  whatever. No loading bullets, primers...just make sure the brass hopper is full. I have the large commercial case-feeder, so that makes things easier. 

But lately, I haven't had the time. And it really doesn't do anything but satisfy my OCD. So I've been dry tumbling and just doing one-pass loading.

15 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

index speed 3

Top Dwell 2

Bottom Dwell 2

Torquesense on 

bookmarking this to set mine up the same way

18 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

index speed 3

Top Dwell 2

Bottom Dwell 2

Torquesense on 

I forget what the net output is...

<snip>

Net output there is about 1511 RPH.

22 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Close, I just fired off a batch to check. 1610 rph at 3000 RPH setting and 1728 @ 3500 RPH setting.

Lots more speed available there for those of you that need it, particularly at the bottom of the stroke.

More speed than 3000 or 3500?  Please explain.