Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock extended magazines and base plates

Desk-Jockey

What is the goto for extended base plates for both 140 and 170mm?   

I see posts on Taran, Taylor freelance, carver, aerendo, Dawson etc.   which is best for you and why?

are the factory 22-Rd mags a viable option?   How long are they?

thx

1 hour ago, Effectus Magis Per Minor said:

I have been running the 140mm, 21 round,  Magpul  Glock Mags exclusively now for over a year and have had zero issues.

Hmmm.   I had forgotten about these.   I am a big fan of  magpul accessories and rifle mags.  I have some of their g19 mags and they are good to go.  

I guess you give up 1 round but they are $18 a piece.   Figuring the cost of the OEM mag and $40 for the base plates they come out at $60 a piece.  Hard to argue with that.  

For 140mm Dawson extensions are good and consistently fit gauge.

The OEM 22rd .40 and 24rd 9mm mags are 165mm long. I believe Taylor Freelance makes an extension for them to get to 170mm. Magpul also makes 170mm mags.

9 minutes ago, davsco said:

the only glock handgun mag extensions i've tried are the arredondo's, but zero issues with them, and relatively easy to disassemble for cleaning.

+1 I use Arredondo's as well and have nothing but good things to say.  Bonus for magazine restricted states is that their +0 extensions are the same size as the +5s so the feel is exactly the same between high cap and low cap magazines.

Edited by cjmill87

Dawson is hands down my favorite, for the simple fact that they’re the easiest to take apart to clean. 

I ran the magpul 21 rounders and the ETS 22s in CO with a G17. Never had a problem with the pmags 

I run Dawson's on my Glocks and XDM and love them but honestly use my pmags 99% of the time. They are cheap and I don't care if they get busted up.

I bought 5 from PSA right after they came out for less than 12 each and have been running those same 5 since then.

I've run Taylor FreeLance +6 in Limited Minor for over 25 years, also +10 in Open Major 9x19, in my G17's/G34's and G17l, and +5 for both my G22's and G31's, on OEM Glock mags. They are flawless and bullet proof, but not so easy to remove and replace like Dawsons, Arrendono's and TT, for those that like to clean their mags often. I only take mine apart once a year to change the springs, and have no issues running over 20K a year. Since the mags always drop bullet end down, I drilled a weep hole in the extension to just shake the sand out. Of course if you drop one in the mud, you have to clean it. But that only happens less than once a year in SoCal.

TF ext.jpg

Edited by 9x45

I use the Taran base pads and they are a huge pain to put on the plastic mags and it's hit and miss on running 23+1 rounds in one. If I had it to do over, I would probably go with the Dawsons because they are a lot easier to assemble/disassemble.  

I run the Tarans on Glock mags. I have 10 of them, 3 plus 6, and 7 plus 4. One trick to make them come off easier is to take a razor blade and trim the little ears on the Glock mag body. You don’t need them. The bases will slip on and off a lot easier. Of course doing this you can’t go back to oem bases.

Zevs are the easiest to take apart and clean. TTI’s are kind of a PITA. 

I've not found any that are easy or guaranteed to get 23+1.  

I like Zev’s the best but 23+1 will almost certainly never be possible. 

TTI’s is probably the best bet IMO. Though TF and Henning are great too!

I’ve had good luck getting 20+1 .40 and 23+1 9mm with Arredondo base pads.  I have some TTI that will also hold 23, but like the Arredondos better.  I will switch to Carry Optics sooner or later and may use Magpul 21 round mags for reloads.  They work, they are cheap, and I’ll save wear and tear on my 23 round mags.  

Edited by deerslayer

I've been running the Strike Industries extensions for the last year or so with zero issues.  They're polymer and half the price of any milled aluminum extension so I don't care if they get beat up.  They're actually still in great condition though.

• 1 month later...

Started with TTI  pads but had interference issues with certain magwells hitting the vertical locking pin.  In addition to being less than user friendly in disassembly/reassembly moved me to Taylor Freelance +5/+6 pads.  I enjoy the TF's and can get 20 reloadable in my G24, easy to clean, remove & assemble and can be found at very affordable prices.  Bought out a retiring shooter of 10 Dawson +5's and have been using them in conjunction with the TF/s for the past 3 seasons and couldn't be happier.

Never disassembled a Glock mag or added basepads until about 20 minutes ago. I ordered a Glock mag disassembly tool off of Amazon. I ordered whatever the cheapest one was that looked just like the one sold at the Glockstore. 

I ordered two Dawson extended basepads and the Glock mag tool was simple to use and the basepads were easy to get on. I was able to put 19 rounds in each of my Glock 22 .40 mags with no problem. Really pressing down on the Uplula, I was able to get in a 20th round in each. However, it was really tight and I’m not sure it would be reloadable with 20. I’ll try it out with 20 at the range and see if it works. If not, I may sand the edges of the followers a bit. 

Ran the Dawson basepads on my G22 this morning. Started with 19+1 and it ran without issue in both mags. Then I loaded them to 20 which required a good deal of force on the Uplula to get that 20th round in but I got in both mags. Chambered a round and then back to the Uplula to get 20 in the mag to start with 20+1. The gun cycled with both mags but it was difficult to get the mags with 20 rounds to seat. I had to really push it in there and check that it was in place.

So, I believe I can start with 20+1 with 19 reloadable in the 2nd mag. 

I've been using Taylor Freelance, Taran, dawson & Arredondo for about a year now, all are good, I have 2 of each. been using them for co and limited minor. The arredondo's I can get 23 on them no problem the rest only 22 rounds. Trying ETS 21 rounds and Magpul, so far I only gotten a couple of matches (club matches) on them so far I'm not too impress with magpul been getting salt shaker on them but will see. 

• 5 months later...

Below is what I've found on my 140mm mags in 9.

Bottom line is that they all seem to work well enough, and each has pros and cons.

Haven't run any of them long enough to wear them out, so I can't really speak to longevity.

Dawson:

+Easy to install and remove

+Best capacity*

+Best reliability**

-Cost

-Shape***

Magpul and ETS:

+Cheap

-Ammo sensitive**

Magpul:

+Easy to mark: paint matrix on base for two characters

-Witness marks

ETS:

+Easy to quickly check capacity

-Springs are a little weak****

*I think they can go to 22 or so, as opposed to 21. I normally shoot production though, and tend to run -1 for easier seating anyway, as there are usually plenty of places to add a reload, so I don't think it's that big of a deal.

**With extensions, I haven't had any feed issues - they use factory tubes, which are pretty forgiving. The polymer ones are a little pickier, as the ribs at the top can grab improperly crimped cases(which, to be fair, is an ammo QC issue, and easy to remedy, but still worth noting), and steel cased ammo likes to stick(I don't have an exact explanation for this, but the Winchester steel case runs fine in factory tubes and has the tendency to go salt shaker in the polymer ones).

***as opposed to the polymer 140s - personal preference for reloads, my grip is slightly less consistent with the extensions.

****I had an FTF in the 15rd version, because it was dirty, so I ended up replacing all of those mag springs, in the 140mm version they aren't as weak, but I put a stronger spring in one to test it, and it only holds 20rd in that configuration.

Hello: The two that are the easiest to remove for cleaning are the Arredondo's and the Zev's. No screws to remove, the spring does not get twisted, does not get dirt in them so hard to remove. The Arredondo does use a tool to remove. The Zevs are heavier if that matters to you. Thanks, Eric