Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pickup Truck Spare Tire Storage

Ted Murphy

I hate the way my spare tire is attached in my truck. It's on this chain so you have to lower it, then crawl under the bumper in orderto detach it. You get completely filthy and annoyed.

My old truck had this nice mechanism that would ratchet down and present the tire to you for easy removal. I think the one in my current truckwas designed for some kind of dimunitive japanese man to pull out.

I didn't need it today but was going to get it out to check the tire pressure it till I remembered how much of a PIA it is to retreive.

I'd guess the guy who designed that drives a sedan. And why they make fix a flat.

Ted

I hate those under-bed spare tire mounts too. Guaranteed to get you dirty and aggravated. My F-150 has a useless bottle jack stored in the engine compartment. I keep a floor jack behind the bench seat. I found one at one of the auto parts stores in a plastic case and it fits just right back there.

I agree with you guys, these days factory equipment is a joke. Actually, I think I must have some sort of compulsion when it comes to flat tires because I collect flat tire tools like Lynn Jones collects knives. In my truck I carry a 4-way lug wrench, a tire plug kit, a can of fix-a-flat, a tow strap, a tow chain, a 7.5 gallon air tank, and three bottle jacks. It's like bringing your rain gear to a match, just insurance that you'll never have to use it.

I have a 2-1/4 ton floor jack and a 4 way too. And I just bought

The jack needs to be looked at. it did not want to lift up my truck.

I like slime and fix a flat, but I'd rather plug it and not have the chemicals in the tire. I don't know much about slime, but I know fix a flat is flammable, and probably not a good long term thing to have inside a tire.

I keep a plug kit in the truck so I just jacked the truck up so I could get to the nail more easily and plugged it. I really wanted to pull the spare down cause I haven't used it in about a year and wanted to make sure the air pressure was good while I had the compressor out.

I bought one of those little 12v air compressors yesterday, neat little bugger.

Ted

My pickup truck has a hole in the rear of the bed in which the the shaft of the wrench used to lower the spare tire must pass. I had the bed of my pickup replaced after getting hit in the rear quater.

Eight months later while doing my pre-hunting trip check I discovered the new bed had no hole.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I have a 2-1/4 ton floor jack and a 4 way too.   And I just bought 

I bought one of those little 12v air compressors yesterday, neat little bugger.

Ted

i bought one of the battery jump start thing with a are compressor and light. that thing stays in the truck. i also have a plug kit.

lynn

I hate the location of my spare so much I carry a compressor full of air, a plug kit and if that fails a cell phone to call the AAA Roadside assistance. THEY hate trying to lift my truck :o)

This post has been edited by Round_Gun_Shooter: Today, 02:48 PM Because he can not type to save his life and HATES the fact he has to EDIT :ph34r:

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

My pickup truck has a hole in the rear of the bed in which the the shaft of the wrench used to lower the spare tire must pass.  I had the bed of my pickup replaced after getting hit in the rear quater.

Eight months later while doing my pre-hunting trip check I discovered the new bed had no hole.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Pre-Hunting trip check? 30-06 or 454 Casul close range sight check. Now it has a hole! :P

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.