Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting Tanfo hard chrome slide to hard chrome frame

gnappi

I could find nothing about fitting / lapping hard chrome slides onto hard chrome frames to guide me and hopefully this will help those who have a similar issue with same maker conversion kits.  

My new lim pro in .38 super was going to be sitting idle for a while till I could get a quantity of supplies to build super ammo. But, my Tanfo .40 Stock slide "conversion kit" that sat on my 10mm compact kinda sorta fit the Lim pro but was impossible to move the slide fully without extreme effort in both directions.

In come my files and stones... nope the hard chrome laughed at them, so I got out the diamond compounds and oils to thin the paste.

I started with gun oil, then break free, then break free thinned with marvel mystery oil (worked OK) but Tri-Flow being the thinnest of them all worked the best. 

The 5 micron paste thinned down with tri-flow got it moving surprisingly fast, then a cleaning, again with thinned down 2.5 micron paste and finished with 1 micron. Clean, oil and it's slicker than owl snot. 

That diamond lapping paste is the best $12.95 I ever spent! 🙂

Oh, I forgot to add that the original slide on my limited did not get any frame / slide slop in the fit afterward. I surmise that the frame rails were straight to begin with and the diamond paste leveled the "stock" slide out while minimally affecting the rails on the frame. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have not heard of others doing so, but I have done it. I won't detail but it was scary. Yes, lapped by hand and feels like that golden ball bearing feeling that is warm and fuzzy. Slide will not come off tipped up and down, oiled, and all parts removed.