Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3D printer suggestions?

My son has decided he wants a 3D printer for his model airplane hobby. I am thinking magazine extensions, tool holders, etc., so I’m agreeable. 

I know little about this sort of thing but am trying to learn. Here’s what I think I want, tell me what you think. 

I think I’d like the ability to print ABS. This seems to work best with an enclosed printer with a heated bed. I’d like to be able to print things 7.5”-8” long. Hoping to find something of reasonable quality in the $400-$500 price range. 

The printer of interest at the moment is the XYZprinting daVinci 1.0A or AiO. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

The Creality Ender 3 seems like the most popular printer nowadays and it wouldn't be difficult to build an enclosure around it. I'd also give esun's PLA+ a try, I've found it to be just as strong as abs and a while lot easier to print. 

I have 2 Ender 3 pro and 10 of them at work. They work great. There are some upgrades and tweaks that make them run very smooth. If you get one, let me know and I can give you some pointers if you want them.

I would just buy Ender 3 V2 which has updated board and screen. Use left over money towards quality filaments, use PETG(or ASA) instead of ABS. For model hobbies they are filaments containing carbon fiber and special light filaments for RC planes. ABS is a tricky thing to glue anyway.

Printing ABS can be tricky even with enclosed consumer 3D printers. Printing ABS also creates smelly toxic fumes and consumer models don't have filtering or active venting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks everyone, somehow I never saw all the advice. I got a bit more interested in it and ended up getting a Prusa Mk3 kit. Very nice, no tweaking needed yet, and fun to assemble too. More $$ than I originally intended but no regrets.