Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two handed grip on a big butt?

I put a big butt on my 627 because all the cool kids have them. But how the heck do you grip that thing with two hands?

That big lump is right where my little finger goes.

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, underlug said:

There only real use is for going prone.  With the demise of the Far and Near Standards in ICORE that isn't going to happen much

I disagree.

I think the "butt" sort of acts like a mag well on a semi, When the space is properly fit to your hand it helps as a locator for your hand to fall into the right spot on the draw/grip.

and it looks cool. 

27 minutes ago, alecmc said:

I think the "butt" sort of acts like a mag well on a semi, When the space is properly fit to your hand it helps as a locator for your hand to fall into the right spot on the draw/grip.

and it looks cool. 

That's the case for me. On my limited guns it provides fit and feel. I have the big butt grips on two N frames for the exact same thing. I choke up on them super high like I would an auto. Try gripping higher up and see if that works for you. I believe it follows the same theory as getting the bore closer inline with your hand. Butt I like the recoil impulse and it happens to work for me. Give it a try and see if it helps

I hear your pain.  I whittled mine down to try to get the grip I wanted.  Finally switched back to regular Hogue Rubber Grips. Note if you do whittle them down just apply some oil afterwards and they regain their original look.

Also like that both my Open & Limited 627's have the same grip.  And those Big Butt's are expenisve!

I want to use them, but my times are just a shade better without them.  One of the issues I've found is on the draw.  When I get a funky grip with regular hogue's I can still shoot & then adjust my grip.  Seems like with the Big Butt, even modified, the funky grip is worse?  Kind of when it works it's good, when it don't it's a train wreck vs when it works it's good, when it don't it's ok?

But(t?) maybe I'll go try it again?  Yea, that's the ticket, I'll try it again!  Anyways it is another incentive to practice.

Edited by pskys2
14 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I put a big butt on my 627 because all the cool kids have them. But how the heck do you grip that thing with two hands?

Thoughts?

Grip the gun higher.

14 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Thoughts?

I'm with you ... I purchased one too  ($75-$80 for a 627 IIRC) ... (because of the cool factor) and after about a week gave it away to a new revolver shooter.

Told them it didn't work for me ... and to pass it on to another shooter if it didn't work for them.  

On 5/31/2020 at 10:31 AM, MWP said:

Grip the gun higher.

I noticed in FS the other day the other day, I'm like 2 issues back still!, that you were shooting with LH index on trigger guard?  Rich Wolfe also had a pix like that.  Is that your regular grip?  Or just what the pix caught at the moment?

11 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I noticed in FS the other day the other day, I'm like 2 issues back still!, that you were shooting with LH index on trigger guard?  Rich Wolfe also had a pix like that.  Is that your regular grip?  Or just what the pix caught at the moment?

I never meant for my grip to be that way, but in my quest to get as high as I could on the gun, my left hand somehow ended up with a finger up there. It has more to do with supporting how high my right hand is. I can say that for me, if I rotate my left hand so my index finger is under the trigger guard, muzzle rise is much more pronounced. 

Turns out I can’t shoot a gun with my standard grips and a full hammer spur anymore- the hammer just stops when it hits the webbing of my hand. A by product of getting really high on the gun.

10 hours ago, MWP said:

I never meant for my grip to be that way, but in my quest to get as high as I could on the gun, my left hand somehow ended up with a finger up there. It has more to do with supporting how high my right hand is. I can say that for me, if I rotate my left hand so my index finger is under the trigger guard, muzzle rise is much more pronounced. 

Turns out I can’t shoot a gun with my standard grips and a full hammer spur anymore- the hammer just stops when it hits the webbing of my hand. A by product of getting really high on the gun.

That finger forward grip used to be real popular, I used it until the '90's.  But on Semi-Auto's.  Once I started doing serious Revolver Competition I quit as I didn't want to have multiple grip types.  

Back then we always checkered the front of the trigger guard, do you do that also.  If not you might give it a try.

My fingers just aren't long enough to do it on my Revolvers.  I've tried though!

Though muzzle rise in itself doesn't bother me much, it's the jerking I do on the trigger that seems to be more problematic!

27 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

That finger forward grip used to be real popular, I used it until the '90's.  But on Semi-Auto's.  Once I started doing serious Revolver Competition I quit as I didn't want to have multiple grip types.  

Back then we always checkered the front of the trigger guard, do you do that also.  If not you might give it a try.

My fingers just aren't long enough to do it on my Revolvers.  I've tried though!

Though muzzle rise in itself doesn't bother me much, it's the jerking I do on the trigger that seems to be more problematic!

I haven’t tried that, I’ll throw some grip tape up there and see how it feels. I’m fortunate to have large hands, so it really helps with grabbing the gun hard. 

I don’t do it on semi autos, but it is a popular grips for some. 

1 minute ago, MWP said:

I haven’t tried that, I’ll throw some grip tape up there and see how it feels. I’m fortunate to have large hands, so it really helps with grabbing the gun hard. 

I don’t do it on semi autos, but it is a popular grips for some. 

Some even went so far as to square, then checker, the trigger guards of 1911's.

Ever had any flashing on the finger from the B/C gap?

On 6/2/2020 at 9:56 AM, pskys2 said:

Some even went so far as to square, then checker, the trigger guards of 1911's.

Ever had any flashing on the finger from the B/C gap?

I have not. Even with heavy loads.