Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throating a Taccom 13/16 barrel,,,

Cant make out whether a Taccom barrel is nitride coated inside and out or just outside? Or not at all? I have a high speed steel reamer, but not a carbide reamer. I can load the berrys 100gr hollow base out to 1.135 okay, but the P.D. 124gr have to be at 1.070 due to profile. Im trying to stay with the P.D. 124's for all my loads - open, CO, & PCC - if I can?

Nitride isn't a coating, more of a metal conversion treatment. I don't think its possible to do just the exterior of a part as the process requires submerging the whole part if I understand it correctly. 

I had a smith agree to throat a nitride barrel once, even though I didn't think it would work. Killed a high speed reamer immediately, and worked with a carbide but the smith said he wouldn't try it again.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I have two of the Taccom 13/16 barrel and I am trying to find out how to ream it as well. Since I plan to shoot a match in a couple of weeks, shipping it out to a gunsmith is not an option.

Would you mind sharing your experience with reaming the barrel? Also, could tell me where I can get the reamer?

Thanks

Actually - Nitriding is a heat treating process that diffuses nitrogen into the surface of a metal to create a case-hardened surface.

One can get throating reamers from clymer or mason. I got mine from manson. I bought a high speed steel one and should have gotten a carbide one. I have used mine on a couple of Tanfoglio barrels and an STI barrel.

Good news,,, After I shot the AR9 today inaugurally, I brought it home and took it apart to inspect and clean. I decided to go ahead and try to throat ream the barrel after all the discussions I read on this board about it. The Taccom 13/16 barrel was throat-ed pretty easy and there was no damage to my Manson .35 pistol throat reamer. I was able to plunk and spin my open ammo with P.D. 124gr H.P. at 1.165. The ammo I made yesterday and shot today was only able to be loaded to 1.080 with the same bullet.

I still have some ammo work to do, cause I was having some ejection problems(empty case getting jammed in port with a fresh round), but I wont be hampered by COL. I think it might be ammo with too low of a power factor, maybe,,,

One of our PCC's has the Taccom 13/16 barrel. Love it super reliable. Normally run 115 or 124 .355 plated/JHP/FMJ RN @ 1.12OAL. Have has some issues running anything longer than 1.14.

Due to the shortage of my normal plated PCC bullets I tried some 124gr Eggleston .356 coated bullets that I have shot before off and on always in my Glocks. They run perfect in my JP PCC barrel. Plunk/spin fine.  Loaded them to my normal 1.12 OAL Did a plunk/spin test and it would not go in. Kept dropping the length until 1.09 and they kind of plunked/spun, but had some resistance. Tested at the range and they ran fine, but really would like to open up the barrel. They did shoot in my CZ75 also, which does not like anything too long.

Going to try some SNS 125gr RN .356 next.

Not sure why these are somewhat short maybe Tim can chime in on this.

gerritm

I would have to say that our barrels are not short throated, we do use a Manson reamer and they are known to have longer throat. I do know that a lot of reloaders use some pretty interesting bullet ogives and that may cause issues but we can't ream for those, we need to keep on the high end of SAAMI spec. This is pretty normal for 9mm barrels. The good news is, you can throat ream them with ease, should you feel the need to. We do set up our barrels so that any factory round that can be loaded into a Glock magazine will chamber with ease into our barrels. One thing we do not do in house is to polish the entire chamber and I suspect that if you were to polish the chamber and break any sharp edges that mmmmmmay have be left behind, you will be good to go......we do inspect every chamber so I'd have to put a stake in the ground and say we do not have those burrs......but we are human and you know how that goes. I am happy to say that we now have thousands of barrels out there. the biggest issue I've seen is reloaded being to fat......make sure that you have your crimp die set properly. First thing I tell customers that have that issue is to measure the case mouth and compare it to 'factory' ammo.....if it's bigger.....there's an issue. I know a lot of people here use dillon dies and they are top notch!! But the savoy people use a Lee Factory Crimp die, if you aren't using one, consider going that route. Unless you are actually having issues with bullets getting stuck in the rifling, you may have an issue with your crimp die. Just my two pennies from what I've been seeing out there. Lastly......as a reloader, you are loading for the barrel at hand.....it's a bad idea in general to make a round fit in every 9mm you have, unless you are mmmmmmmaybe duplicating factory ammo.

Edited by TRUBL

Manson 9mm finishing reamers have a tapered .055" long throat.  They cut like butter.  Without cutting the chamber any deeper, they throat enough for an typical PCC round.  However, they do not throat deep enough for really long loaded TC style JHPs in 9mm major.

The Lee FCD is a good recommendation.  I use one for every caliber I reload.  They cure the 'Glock' bulge problem in 45 and 40.  In 9mm they resize only the neck, but the crimp is perfect.  In 9mm back off 1/8the turn from recommended if you are loading coated bullets.

What Trubl said (polished chambers)is what I discovered and what lead me to originally think the inside of the barrel had been nitrided. The next time I have the barrel out I will polish out the chamber. The round nose bullets I was trying (100gr and 165gr and 124gr) didn't have any trouble getting out to 1.130OAL, but the P.D. 124gr hollow points I was trying to use had to be short,,, but not any more. 

As an aside, I found that a .001 brass shim wrapped 90% around barrel where it fits into the upper made everything a perfect tapped in fit. I have a Taccom barrel and a Quarter Circle 10 side charger upper and don't believe either is out of spec, just within manufacturing tolerances,,,