Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anti Fog for Anti Reflective Lenses

I need something to prevent my shooting glasses from fogging up. They have anti glare and anti reflective coating. I've read that regular anti fog spray will cause these coating to peel or wear off.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I've used this stuff called fog doc on my paintball lenses, which usually have some of those coatings on them too. I bought my stuff like 10 years ago, so who knows if they're still around

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Try this.

I used to shoot NRA highpower. You would sit in the sun with a 9 pound shooting jacket and really heat up, fogging your glasses.This works 100%.

Get yourself a bar of Ivory soap. Plain old white bar Ivory soap. Rub the soap DRY over the surface of your glasses, front and back. Wipe off the soap with a tissue. It'll last all day.

The glycerin in the soap repels the moisture. Works great, cheap. Keep a bar in your range bag.

Hunters HD Gold sends with each pair of glasses some stuff called Z Clear you can use. I’d recommend cleaning the glasses first with a disposable glasses cleaning cloth (that you can also use to clean red dots). You can find them on amazon or even just at target in the health section for eyeglass/contact lenses stuff. Then use the Z Clear as directed, you should use a microfiber cloth to take off the excess Z clear. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017L3UDYQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ZBCYGSM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MO0MUUC/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Try this.

I used to shoot NRA highpower. You would sit in the sun with a 9 pound shooting jacket and really heat up, fogging your glasses.This works 100%.

Get yourself a bar of Ivory soap. Plain old white bar Ivory soap. Rub the soap DRY over the surface of your glasses, front and back. Wipe off the soap with a tissue. It'll last all day.

The glycerin in the soap repels the moisture. Works great, cheap. Keep a bar in your range bag.
Shaving goop in the can will do the same thing. I used to spray it on the mirror before a shower in one of my old apartments. Spray it on, rub it around then wipe it off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Toothpaste will also work as an anti-fog - just rub it on to a thin film, let dry, then wipe off.  This works on my dive mask where none of the commercial anti-fogs I tried would.

Really bad idea to do this. Toothpaste is a fine abrasive (which is how it cleans your teeth). Putting this on an optical surface will create marring and fine scratches.

The science behind a lot of these solutions is that they reduce surface tension, creating a layer of water instead of drops of water which cause diffraction of light. Anything that leaves a film of detergent will ideally do this, but many will also inadvertently negatively effect the resolving ability of the optics.