Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with sticking cases please!

Stjs45

I am having some "resistance' or "sticking" of the powder funnel on NEW cases on my up cycle on my Dillon 650 press. It is the inside of the case that gets opened up to accept the bullet. I don't think I can lube the inside of the case as it could interfere with the load and make power stick to the "rim" of the case as well as the funnel creating a mess.

It is only doing it with NEW cases once fired there a slight hesitation on the uplift but not a "sticking" Am I doing something wrong? is there a remedy? Thanx y'all.  

Pic attached!

IMG_7001.HEIC

Edited by Stjs45

There are a ton of threads on this if you do a quick search. There are several “fixes”. But in my experience they seem temporary. I just learned to power through the upstroke. Firm steady movement. After awhile you don’t even notice it.

3 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Hornady 99913 One Shot Spray Case Lube (14 fl oz Aerosol) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUCBJ5D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GxO0EbRX9E5XR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you recommend spraying the inside of the case?!?

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

There are a ton of threads on this if you do a quick search. There are several “fixes”. But in my experience they seem temporary. I just learned to power through the upstroke. Firm steady movement. After awhile you don’t even notice it.

I have read the posts about polishing and things to make it better, but I'm afraid somethings is wrong. Maybe this is it, lol.

.spay hornady one shot on patch and wipe on the powder die. This will help some. After firing and getting carbon soot on inside of case it will get easier. The carbon from firing acts as a lube and helps with the sticking. I don’t think I would spray the inside of a case.

18 minutes ago, Stjs45 said:

So you recommend spraying the inside of the case?!?

I have read the posts about polishing and things to make it better, but I'm afraid somethings is wrong. Maybe this is it, lol.

I had my neighbor come over and try my 650. I told him it will stick on the upstroke and just push through the stroke. He lowered the ram and started up and it stopped dead. He said he thought it was more than stuck. He thought he broke something.😂 took him 100 rounds to figure out what I meant by powering through 

As to your question, one shot wound hurt powder as long as it’s dry but I see no reason to spray anything inside cases

Edited by Sarge

37 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I had my neighbor come over and try my 650. I told him it will stick on the upstroke and just push through the stroke. He lowered the ram and started up and it stopped dead. He said he thought it was more than stuck. He thought he broke something.😂 took him 100 rounds to figure out what I meant by powering through 

As to your question, one shot wound hurt powder as long as it’s dry but I see no reason to spray anything inside cases

I agree with Sarge. While I don't load on a 650 (550), sometimes the powder funnel will stick in the case. Just power through it. It seems to be worse with new brass or highly cleaned brass. Once you get in a rhythm, you really don't notice the sticking very much. I also agree that you should not spray anything inside the case. Maybe put a small bit of lanolin on your fingers, and lightly lube the outside of the funnel, at most.

I found this post below and seems like something I may end up trying. I just wonder what the best way to polish that sucker to a mirror finish. 

I chucked up the powder funnel from my 650 in one of my lathes and took off a couple thousands so the re-sized case would slide up to the flare and then re-polished it. I loaded a thousand rounds this morning without a single case sticking...it works Awesome now....I had eliminated most of the powder getting all over the shell plate when loading except for when the case would stick...after a thousand rounds this morning, not a speck of powder anywhere....Thanks again...:)