Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou or Precision Bullets?

mpom

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Bayou is my go to

Percisions are good though

Both ship fast during covid, faster than their website says.

I am trying to find some loading data on Bayou Bullet 115gr Vit.320 or Win. 231

• 4 weeks later...

I acknowledge that this thread is supposed to be a comparison between Bayou and Precision coated bullets. I have been a loyal Bayou consumer for much of the 8 years I have been handloading match ammo in quantity. My quantity, which is laughable to some here I'm sure, but is about 12K per year. I have plenty of bullets I could use but one particular model makes up about 80% of my annual consumption. 

I think that I have to admit that I'm a bit lazy, I have loads that work and a large variety of powders but when I run low on a particular powder I buy more of the same instead of using a different powder and doing some development. So the same goes with bullets. I should use up what I have not buy more but time is a factor so I just buy more of what I know will work.

Wasn't sure how much shooting I would do this year, I knew that I should order more bullets months ago but kept putting it off. Finally I'm down to 2000 bullets and some loaded ammo so now it's place an order or start fiddling with another bullet in my collection. I'm lazy so I order 4 cases. The backlog at the time of order was 4 weeks, it's been since changed to 5-6 weeks and here I am 5+ weeks and my order is no where. No where plus historically 2 weeks for shipping means I'm very likely going to be shooting my last round probably before I refill the hopper. Best case is it's going to be close. So this weekend or at the latest next weekend it's get out my chrono time and put together some samples. 

So, back to the subject, with my particular loads using Bayou I do get a small amount of leading. I clean my guns after every time out but once in a while I don't that is when I notice leading. So given the frustration with having to wait for a shipment to arrive which I paid for 5 weeks ago and the small amount of leading I'm now open to trying a different bullets. I have 500 of the purple coated guys from King Shooters in Eastern PA which is about an hour drive for me. They are expensive and sometimes out of stock even during good times. The other option is something like Precision but right now they are 10 weeks leadtime. 

Most of us say, myself included, say that we should buy enough supplies to weather any impending storm. I don't disagree with this and in the big picture I have plenty that I could use.  Some of that thinking should also apply to the suppliers of this material though. If I miss a match because I'm out of bullets it's no that big a deal as I'm not a pro shooter. The bullet suppliers however are depending on sales to pay the electric bill. As we all know the general shooting public doesn't buy reloading materials, only us afflicted with the urge to compete do. I tend to think the suppliers, nice as they are, should lose the sad faces and stories of employee overtime to supply us with lead because they are partly to blame for this situation. No one does anything for free, at least if they are in business they shouldn't.

And that's what I think about this situation. I try not to be demanding at the same time realistic. I get it, I'm locked into Federal primers for most of my shooting so I never let that supply get low. During the last big shortage bullets were the least of the supply problem. I think now we should all get it into our heads the we need to keep excessive amounts of everything on hand.

I tried the DB bullets and they were shipped fast less than a week. Which in these times is fantastic. I saw a post on FB where the person was stating that he had leading. There were also a couple more post saying the same thing. So I went and inspected my barrel, it’s a gen5 Glock 34, and there was a little leading at the crown. I ordered a case 4 days ago and they shipped today. Because of the leading I ordered another case from bayou but he’s 6 weeks out. So I guess right now get what you can get no matter what. Blue Bullets are 12 to 14 weeks out. So right now the DB’S are looking pretty dam good. Oh by the way accuracy was better than my Precision Delta JHP’S.

3 minutes ago, PhotoRecon said:

No problemo...just thought there was another supplier to check out...been looking DG over myself but haven't tried any yet...

If you have no problem waiting then get what you want, however I don’t know of any manufacturer shipping as fast as DG.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:55 PM, AZ1911 said:

I have been using BBI .45 230gr for a while now. Probably about 5000 so far. Been very happy with them.

I have stated on this forum before that I have been reloading Black Bullet International brand since 2007-2008? Anyway, .40S&W, 9mm, now 45acp. I don’t shoot open and have no reason to shoot jacketed or plated. I’ve run thousands upon thousands through all types of platforms. See no reason to change. I think they’re very accurate too. 

7 hours ago, JimmyZip said:

I have stated on this forum before that I have been reloading Black Bullet International brand since 2007-2008? Anyway, .40S&W, 9mm, now 45acp.

Curious if you're shooting the .400 or the .401 bullets in .40 from BBI.

I was shooting a CZ TS at the time and I am sure I would run the .401. I run .356 in 9mm, I’m not sure on my.45 but I usually get coated bullets that .001 bigger than jacketed because I was told to years back when I used to shoot lubed lead. Prevents, I was told, excessive leading as a result of incomplete gas sealing. 
Kind of what I’ve been doing since I started. You might have a different experience , but I’ve been very happy with the accuracy my reloads attain, and their quality.

Forget about one or the other, I went with both. With all these delays running up to 12+ weeks, and now Precision says it doesn’t matter how many cases you order they will only ship 1 case then cancel the rest of the order and you have to place it again.

I decided to just order Bullets from a few sources. I’ll evaluate them when I get them and the better ones will be match ammo and the others will be practice ammo. I feel like right now is NOT the time to be too selective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I decided to just order Bullets from a few sources. I’ll evaluate them when I get them and the better ones will be match ammo and the others will be practice ammo. I feel like right now is NOT the time to be too selective.

Same here, I ordered a case from precision and a case from BBI and will do some load development and testing for each. With the first time order discount from precision, it's hard not to order.

I normally would run the RMR 124s but after they got rid of the volume discounts it really opened up the gap between them and coated bullets in cost so I figured I would try out coated again.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:30 AM, Intheshaw1 said:

I normally would run the RMR 124s but after they got rid of the volume discounts it really opened up the gap between them and coated bullets in cost so I figured I would try out coated again.

I'm guessing the discounts were suspended to discourage hoarding and to allow Jake to catch up on fulfilling orders for his regular customers. To his credit, his prices have held steady throughout this craziness. Just got an order from him yesterday which I placed back in July. 
Finally ordered from Precision for the first time. Since we're both in TX, I get dinged with sales tax but his discount erased that. 
If worse comes to worst,  I'll have to learn how to cast.