Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou or Precision Bullets?

mpom

I want to purchase at least 1500 9mm coated bullets, trying to decide between Bayou 120 gr TCG and Precision Bullets 125 gr Flat Point, to be used in M&P pistols, 1 with an Apex barrel other with OEM barrel. I know the "right" thing is to order a few of each, load and compare results but would like to get feedback from folks that have used either or both.

I have used Bayou bullets prior to Donny's sale of Bayou but not current production. Have also used Acme, Ibjeajiheads, and other various coated bullets, often get a flier or two.

Have read the forums, seen as how some folks like DG bullets, others say they are soft and promote leading. Prices of Bayou and Precision are close to same.

Thanks in advance, any info is appreciated!

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I've been using Missouri Bullets for a while, and I am very happy with them.

I remember when all they offered to as lead bullets. They were great for there specific purpose. Since they started doing coated they haven’t seemed to push that fact much. I’m sure some don’t know they even make coated bullets

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Try Black Bullets International? BBI’S are fantastic coated bullets. 

Wow!

Prices are highly competitive since shipping in included!

Thanks, next coated bullets order will be from BBI!

8 minutes ago, Jamese35 said:

I've been using DGbullets for the last year and a half and I've been very happy with them. Great price and quality. Im shooting 125s in open this year. They have been great.

Its crazy how most folks report good or great results with DG bullets, yet others say the lead is too soft creating issues. Yet both DG and BBI claim to use lead with the same composition, namely 92/6/2 so hardness should be the same, but no one complains that BBI bullets are too soft.

Mark

I am currently loading Bayou.  I have shot a good number of BBI and some Gallant, one lot of MB.

I am just not a good enough shot to tell a difference, once the seating and power factor are adjusted, the only difference I see is the color.

I've loaded thousands of Bayou bullets since Donnie sold the company to his employees and never noticed any difference than before the sale.  Haven't ordered any lately because I heard they were backed up.  I did recently order some Precision bullets and I can tell you they definitely aren't shipping fast right now!  Dave had to furlough most of his staff during the Covid scare.  I've been waiting well over a month and last week rec'd an e-mail from Dave saying he was ready to ship but my credit card authorization had expired (proof it's been over 30 days!).  He said to re-order on-line and put a note in the order with the original order number saying this was a replacement order to update credit card info.  I did and got a notice that the order was now complete.  That was 4 days ago and still no shipping notice.  But, he did discount my order 10% to make up for the delay, which was nice of him.  

On 5/30/2020 at 5:53 PM, mpom said:

Its crazy how most folks report good or great results with DG bullets, yet others say the lead is too soft creating issues. Yet both DG and BBI claim to use lead with the same composition, namely 92/6/2 so hardness should be the same, but no one complains that BBI bullets are too soft.

Mark

I have no clue why. But I can tell you, I shoot a lot of these through my open gun and never have a issue. I also haven't had anything suggesting the lead is soft. I don't know lol, all I can say is, I've shot 30,000 rounds in the last year and a half (plus whatever my father shot) and I can say they have been great.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, mpom said:

Mark

Personally, I don't think they use the same alloy. One is reported to have a 13BHN, while the other is reported to be around 16BHN.

The fact is, publicized data for certified 92/6/2 alloy by lead foundries has a BHN of around 15-16. BUT,  anytime you cast a bullet with any alloy and then oven cure a heat-curing coating onto it, you will lose hardness. If you then re-coated that same bullet 3-4 times (as with Hi-Tek coating), the BHN of that alloy can and will drop to a final hardness of around 12-13BHN if it was originally at 16BHN.  Depending on the alloy percentages, if those finished bullets are allowed to set in a specified ambient air controlled environment for around two months, they can (sometimes) increase their BHN by around 1 number. 

After finding out this information, I am now only considering buying coated bullets that do not have Hi-Tek on them. I think the type of coating is key. A coating that is far superior with a lower drag coefficient and that is tougher or more robust will considerably overcome the drawbacks of the heat-curing process which causes bullet lead alloys to soften.

I have received info on this from very reliable and reputable sources because I considered casting my own high speed rifle bullets.

I have used Bayou 147 gr flat nose for years. Never any problem with fouling. Talk to the new owner and ordered another batch of 1000 they are backup 3 weeks. Nice guy. At range today happened to use some factor federal 124 gr 9mm round nose. I was quite surprised at the accuracy and crispness. Considering ordering some 124 Bayous.

Any thoughts. FMJ bullets more accurate than coated? thoughts?

thnx

On 5/31/2020 at 6:44 PM, mvmojo said:

I've loaded thousands of Bayou bullets since Donnie sold the company to his employees and never noticed any difference than before the sale.  Haven't ordered any lately because I heard they were backed up.  I did recently order some Precision bullets and I can tell you they definitely aren't shipping fast right now!  Dave had to furlough most of his staff during the Covid scare.  I've been waiting well over a month and last week rec'd an e-mail from Dave saying he was ready to ship but my credit card authorization had expired (proof it's been over 30 days!).  He said to re-order on-line and put a note in the order with the original order number saying this was a replacement order to update credit card info.  I did and got a notice that the order was now complete.  That was 4 days ago and still no shipping notice.  But, he did discount my order 10% to make up for the delay, which was nice of him.  

I’m not too far from Dave and met him to pick up 4 cases on Wednesday.  We chatted a bit.  His employees are back and they are all pulling 15 hour shifts to get caught up. He was working 15 hour shifts while they were gone to try and keep up.  His big issue has been materials availability.  Covid has been shutting down his usual supply chain , so he’s been scrambling to keep the supply chain flowing.   He’s just got a good bit in and they are working their asses off to cut down the back log.  Dave’s good people and I always learn more about the bullet making business every time I meet with him. Interesting stuff.  And I sure was glad to get my hands on 4 cases.  

I think your presumption of what you "know" is the right thing is basically just wrong.
Order a case of whatever is on sale and go shoot. Good grief its half a dozen one 6 of the other. You could spend years worrying about trivial differences and still not come up with anything that adds a point on the scoresheet.

6 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I think your presumption of what you "know" is the right thing is basically just wrong.
Order a case of whatever is on sale and go shoot. Good grief its half a dozen one 6 of the other. You could spend years worrying about trivial differences and still not come up with anything that adds a point on the scoresheet.

Yeah!

And it made me smile reading it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have used both Bayou Bullets (back when Donnie Miculek owned the company) and Precision, in the 147 grain versions. As far as I can remember, I had no problems with either. Equivalent accuracy, and, even though the BB version had a lube groove and the Precision didn't, the powder charge was the same within one or two tenths of a grain (OAL adjusted for equivalent internal case volume). I favored the Bayou's only because they were bevel based, and a lot easier for me to load. I shoot a similar lube grooved, bevel based home cast bullet now, that I HiTek coat myself (I'm cheap and retired ;^D).