Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

See my review of an Atlas Thumb Rest Slide Stop - is it a Nitro Fin Killer?

Tabasco

11 hours ago, Tabasco said:

Take a look at a review I did of the Atlas thumb rest I got on my new Nemesis.  Besides just loving how the Nemesis came out, this new shiny addition was just real awesome.

How do you go about getting on since  they don't offer it as a part on there web site 

4 hours ago, Furrly said:

How do you go about getting on since  they don't offer it as a part on there web site 

I would give the shop a call.  They are a great team to talk with. There # is 855-940-9111.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wouldnt it cause to lock the slide unnecessarily?  I understand a detent should prevent it but is the detent enough to counter the downward pressure of the thumb? Some push on them rest w/ modest force. Or maybe its not for everyone who use thumb rests?

fwiw I dont use any thumb rest in all my open pistols. Just want to learn the concept behind... 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, BoyGlock said:

Wouldnt it cause to lock the slide unnecessarily?  I understand a detent should prevent it but is the detent enough to counter the downward pressure of the thumb? Some push on them rest w/ modest force. Or maybe its not for everyone who use thumb rests?

fwiw I dont use any thumb rest in all my open pistols. Just want to learn the concept behind... 

The slide lock should only lock the slide if you you are pushing upwards, meaning your thumb is below the thumb rest.  The only normal issue people have with thumb rest slide locks is usually when shooting weak hand where it pushes the thumb rest up by accident locking the slide back while firing.  These are made not to lock back (generally) and have the portion that contacts the slide shaved back, along with the more customary detent (used to keep it from being pushed up).  Hope that help, man.

20 hours ago, Tabasco said:

The slide lock should only lock the slide if you you are pushing upwards, meaning your thumb is below the thumb rest.  The only normal issue people have with thumb rest slide locks is usually when shooting weak hand where it pushes the thumb rest up by accident locking the slide back while firing.  These are made not to lock back (generally) and have the portion that contacts the slide shaved back, along with the more customary detent (used to keep it from being pushed up).  Hope that help, man.

Yes that helps a lot Thank you 😊 

I was imagining the thumb will push on the forward part of the rest as the rest/s.lock is positioned a bit back near the hand, causing it to lift its rear end and lock the slide. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using a Nitro Fin for a few years now. I use the NF more as a place to get a consistent grip, rather than putting pressure on the pistol. I have figured out, that if gripped to hard, I was actually pushing the pistol to the right. I would imagine the same would go for the Atlas rest.

• 5 months later...