Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Stevens

CO rules

Recommended Posts

A friend was asking about external weights in CO. After some discussion he asked a question I thought was valid. Some guns are light and cannot be increased in weight easily. Considering the direction CO has gone in recent times, is there any valid reason to continue with the external weight prohibition?

 

Your thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, there is not.  Just seems a way to punish guys with cheap blasters. With all the other mods allowed and a weight limit set, there is no logical reason to disallow external weights. But USPSA and logic don't always go hand in hand.  Guess they could add CO light like IPSC, haha. (No, i don't really think CO light is the thing to do)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting question, Gary.  Short of filling the back area of the Glock grip with something, are you referencing a weight that would go on the bottom rail of the frame (if there is one)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, vluc said:

Interesting question, Gary.  Short of filling the back area of the Glock grip with something, are you referencing a weight that would go on the bottom rail of the frame (if there is one)?

 

SJC and maybe others make a frame weight, and filling a flashlight body with lead or tungsten is another option.  Well, it is not an option now, but you get the idea 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, RJH.  Interesting times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer yes. A weight attached to a light rail would work nicely. Actually when you boil it down, any safe modification that would increase weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve said from the start that external weights should be allowed. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe go the route of giving it a weight limit, ban porting/compensators and then just fit into the box.  I'd even nix the DA/Safe Action requirement like IDPA (ghast?!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Maybe go the route of giving it a weight limit, ban porting/compensators and then just fit into the box.  I'd even nix the DA/Safe Action requirement like IDPA (ghast?!).

 

CO doesn't need any of the "fixes" proposed here, least of which this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Maybe go the route of giving it a weight limit, ban porting/compensators and then just fit into the box.  I'd even nix the DA/Safe Action requirement like IDPA (ghast?!).

 

Yes, and for crying out loud let us have a magwell and at least a small comp.  Just one chamber, or maybe two small ones.  That might reduce Open's unfair competitive advantage a bit.   And the lead-filled flashlight body mentioned above - didn't that work pretty well in Limited?  😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, teros135 said:

 

Yes, and for crying out loud let us have a magwell and at least a small comp.  Just one chamber, or maybe two small ones.  That might reduce Open's unfair competitive advantage a bit.   And the lead-filled flashlight body mentioned above - didn't that work pretty well in Limited?  😎

🤣🤣🤣🤣I get your sarcasm and don't disagree!  But then I enjoyed it waaaaaay back when it was all heads up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

 

CO doesn't need any of the "fixes" proposed here, least of which this one

The biggest FIX any of us needs is probably Practice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how long before there rename CO to open minor? 

 

Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone is trying to reintroduce IPSC Modified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

Short answer yes. A weight attached to a light rail would work nicely. Actually when you boil it down, any safe modification that would increase weight.

Yep I think the way the rules are defined around weight for CO (with so many other mods allowed)  and not allowing external weights is wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣I get your sarcasm and don't disagree!  But then I enjoyed it waaaaaay back when it was all heads up!

 

Sarcasm?  Changing the Divisions around seems to be an ongoing source of amusement for everyone.  Just trying to get my personal needs met!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only question I have about carry Optics is why does it have to be scored in minor if you shoot 40 cal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, teros135 said:

 

   And the lead-filled flashlight body mentioned above - didn't that work pretty well in Limited?  😎

 

 

Actually works great in limited.  Cheap and effective weight to add weight to light guns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, no reason to leave it alone now.  Just a few years ago many people said, "if you want to put a dot on  a gun go shoot open," but the CO was born anyway.  First with a light weight limit that precluded the use of steel frame guns, then 45 oz or whatever and now they bumped it up again.  Also first had 10 round mags and now 140s.  Also had only slide cut for optic, now chop it up.  First no frame mods, now list of allowed mods.  So now saying screw it and letting people put a weight on a light gun to allow it to be on "equal footing" with guns in the SAME DIVISION seems like the obvious thing to do, so that means it probably won't happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RJH said:

Meh, no reason to leave it alone now.  Just a few years ago many people said, "if you want to put a dot on  a gun go shoot open," but the CO was born anyway.  First with a light weight limit that precluded the use of steel frame guns, then 45 oz or whatever and now they bumped it up again.  Also first had 10 round mags and now 140s.  Also had only slide cut for optic, now chop it up.  First no frame mods, now list of allowed mods.  So now saying screw it and letting people put a weight on a light gun to allow it to be on "equal footing" with guns in the SAME DIVISION seems like the obvious thing to do, so that means it probably won't happen

Precisely... when I started shooting the division only light guns and 10 round mags were allowed.  Then they messed with it and messed with it some more. I fail to see how allowing me to make my MP Core weigh just as much as my Bull Shadow by putting a weight on it hurts anything.  At this point its so far from carry optics (production with a dot) I can't see how it matters anymore. Set a max weight... Review it every year as new guns come out.  Weigh the guns at crono... Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, waktasz said:

The TImmy types love a CO type gun with a flashlight on it. 

 

In USPSA, that would be Open Div. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is supposed to refer to the smaller slide ride optics, as opposed to giant frame mounted scopes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...