Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO rules

Gary Stevens

A friend was asking about external weights in CO. After some discussion he asked a question I thought was valid. Some guns are light and cannot be increased in weight easily. Considering the direction CO has gone in recent times, is there any valid reason to continue with the external weight prohibition?

Your thoughts.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, there is not.  Just seems a way to punish guys with cheap blasters. With all the other mods allowed and a weight limit set, there is no logical reason to disallow external weights. But USPSA and logic don't always go hand in hand.  Guess they could add CO light like IPSC, haha. (No, i don't really think CO light is the thing to do)

Interesting question, Gary.  Short of filling the back area of the Glock grip with something, are you referencing a weight that would go on the bottom rail of the frame (if there is one)?

17 minutes ago, vluc said:

Interesting question, Gary.  Short of filling the back area of the Glock grip with something, are you referencing a weight that would go on the bottom rail of the frame (if there is one)?

SJC and maybe others make a frame weight, and filling a flashlight body with lead or tungsten is another option.  Well, it is not an option now, but you get the idea 🙂

10 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Maybe go the route of giving it a weight limit, ban porting/compensators and then just fit into the box.  I'd even nix the DA/Safe Action requirement like IDPA (ghast?!).

CO doesn't need any of the "fixes" proposed here, least of which this one

14 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Maybe go the route of giving it a weight limit, ban porting/compensators and then just fit into the box.  I'd even nix the DA/Safe Action requirement like IDPA (ghast?!).

Yes, and for crying out loud let us have a magwell and at least a small comp.  Just one chamber, or maybe two small ones.  That might reduce Open's unfair competitive advantage a bit.   And the lead-filled flashlight body mentioned above - didn't that work pretty well in Limited?  😎

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

Yes, and for crying out loud let us have a magwell and at least a small comp.  Just one chamber, or maybe two small ones.  That might reduce Open's unfair competitive advantage a bit.   And the lead-filled flashlight body mentioned above - didn't that work pretty well in Limited?  😎

🤣🤣🤣🤣I get your sarcasm and don't disagree!  But then I enjoyed it waaaaaay back when it was all heads up!

16 hours ago, Gary Stevens said:

Short answer yes. A weight attached to a light rail would work nicely. Actually when you boil it down, any safe modification that would increase weight.

Yep I think the way the rules are defined around weight for CO (with so many other mods allowed)  and not allowing external weights is wrong. 

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣I get your sarcasm and don't disagree!  But then I enjoyed it waaaaaay back when it was all heads up!

Sarcasm?  Changing the Divisions around seems to be an ongoing source of amusement for everyone.  Just trying to get my personal needs met!

6 hours ago, teros135 said:

And the lead-filled flashlight body mentioned above - didn't that work pretty well in Limited?  😎

Actually works great in limited.  Cheap and effective weight to add weight to light guns

Meh, no reason to leave it alone now.  Just a few years ago many people said, "if you want to put a dot on  a gun go shoot open," but the CO was born anyway.  First with a light weight limit that precluded the use of steel frame guns, then 45 oz or whatever and now they bumped it up again.  Also first had 10 round mags and now 140s.  Also had only slide cut for optic, now chop it up.  First no frame mods, now list of allowed mods.  So now saying screw it and letting people put a weight on a light gun to allow it to be on "equal footing" with guns in the SAME DIVISION seems like the obvious thing to do, so that means it probably won't happen

1 hour ago, RJH said:

Meh, no reason to leave it alone now.  Just a few years ago many people said, "if you want to put a dot on  a gun go shoot open," but the CO was born anyway.  First with a light weight limit that precluded the use of steel frame guns, then 45 oz or whatever and now they bumped it up again.  Also first had 10 round mags and now 140s.  Also had only slide cut for optic, now chop it up.  First no frame mods, now list of allowed mods.  So now saying screw it and letting people put a weight on a light gun to allow it to be on "equal footing" with guns in the SAME DIVISION seems like the obvious thing to do, so that means it probably won't happen

Precisely... when I started shooting the division only light guns and 10 round mags were allowed.  Then they messed with it and messed with it some more. I fail to see how allowing me to make my MP Core weigh just as much as my Bull Shadow by putting a weight on it hurts anything.  At this point its so far from carry optics (production with a dot) I can't see how it matters anymore. Set a max weight... Review it every year as new guns come out.  Weigh the guns at crono... Done.