Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Checkers

Muzzle device mounting

First post here but I've got an issue that I have yet to find a solution too, been looking for a few weeks and sent several emails to different companies with no real leads. I have a t/c compas and a deadair sandman, I would like to be able to mount the can on the rifle but the only mount option is to install and time the muzzle break that is the qd mount, I have the break, but can not time it due to the lack of a shoulder maybe .02".  I talked to deadair and there is no direct thread option for the can either.  I've talked to a local range and they said to get someone to basically cut the barrel down and re-thread it so that it has a shoulder, I'd rather not cut the barrel or replace it.  Next best bet is either a thread adapter for 5/8x24 to 5/8x24, I can find a few listed on manufacturers websites but none in stock. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

There is an option on some muzzle brakes to mount without the shoulder. Basically, the brake bottoms out on the crown of the barrel, rather than on the shoulder. That’s how I have done a couple Tikka Lites. It is going to take gunsmith to look at the parts and see if that is possible in this case.

If you want to use a QD mount for your Sandman, you'll either need to send the barrel to be properly threaded (Class3Machining  was about $70 total last time I sent one) or take your chances with a jam nut and just hope the device/suppressor ends up concentric to the bore.

A stiff cleaning rod of close to bore diameter will help reduce fear of a baffle strike

Call one of the folks who ware out of stock and see if they are made to order!?

or

Go buy a small machine shop and see if they can make one