Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
aandabooks

Who does quality bluing on antique rifles?

Hello,

Looking for recommendations on where to send an antique rifle to for bluing and restoration?  I inherited my Great-Great Grandfathers' Win 1886 in .45-90 1st year production rifle and since it will always be in the family, I would like to get the gun refinished.

Who knows where to get this work done for a reasonable cost and time?

Thanks. 

Posted (edited)

Not sure about reasonable cost, but if you want it done right, I'd go to Turnbull.  I'd also check what that will do to the value of the firearm before you decide to refinish.  Some are worth far more in original condition, even with lots of wear. 

Edited by ltdmstr

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure about reasonable cost, but if you want it done right, I'd go to Turnbull.  I'd also check what that will do to the value of the firearm before you decide to refinish.  Some are worth far more in original condition, even with lots of wear. 

I know the Turnbull name and have seen his work.  I also know that it is expensive to send a gun there.  I need to think about the value of the firearm but it is not leaving the family.  So worrying about a sale price is not a concern right now but I do want to preserve the firearm and make sure that it does not degrade.  The wood at some point in its past has had a coating added to it that would not have been original in 1887.  At some point it will be passed down to one of my son's.  

The value may be important to your heirs.  It may or may not stay in the family years from now.