Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL750 case movement at station 1

On my XL750 I am using a Redding sizing/decapping die. If I do not gently pull the handle down after pushing the case all the way into station 1 - sometimes the case will back out just enough  for it to not go into the sizing die and I will have to push the case back into station 1 manually. This occurs frequently and is a real pain in the neck. If I push the case all the way in at the top of the stroke and then gently back off the handle this doesn't occur.

I am fairly new to reloading and have only loaded a few thousand rounds. No problems with anything else on this XL750 - case feeder - MBF - primers - powder all good. This problem at station 1 is the only thing keeping me from being productive reloading.

Most sizing dies other than Dillon's don't have a lot of radius on the bottom of the die. Dillon increases their radius to help align the brass with the die. Using a case feeder does not always get every piece of brass perfectly into position to be sized.

I have an xl750 and am using a Lee resizing die without problems.

Adjust the case feeding ram as described in the manual,

it is probably traveling too far when pushing the case into the shell plate. Then when you raise the handle the brass tips back away from the shell plate and there is a slight gap from being seated firmly in the holder.  I had this problem and once adjusted, it works perfect.

The following can help:

With a completely populated shell plate loosen the lock ring on your sizing/decapping die.

At a minimum you need a case in station 1.

Raise the ram/shellplate to maximum as during a normal stroke.

Tighten the lockring on the sizing/decapping die.

I adjusted the camming pin and that looks like it will solve my problem. I don't think I had that problem when using the Dillon sizing die. The Redding sizing die must have a tighter tolerance requiring a more precise adjustment of the camming pin.

Thanks for everyone's input and pointing me in the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I will have to check the camming pin on mine too.  I've had this problem since day 1 with my 750 and Dillon sizing dies (both 9mm and 40 s&w).   The case sometimes gets pulled back a tiny bit and sometimes a lot.  I basically have to push completely forward on the handle for it to not happen.

Edited by codemonkey