Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wonder Finish v. NP3 Coating

I'd seen someone describe the Tanfoglio "Wonder" finish as being most similar to NP3 coating, and someone make the claim that they keep their Wonder Witness under the seat of their saltwater fishing boat for years with nary a damage to the finish, but upon inquiring on here people were saying the Wonder finish is quite prone to damage.

Would I be better off in the long run buying a blued slide and getting it NP3 coated over waiting for a Wonder finished one?

I'd be inclined to get the np3 finish, I had a pair of stock 3s that I had refinished by robar with np3 on the slide/internals and their black anodizing on the frame. That's held up fairly well for competition shooting over the last few years.

I have NP3 on a Beretta 96G and a Tanfo compact in the "Wonder" finish. The Tanfo despite trying to keep it clean always looks like an ape with a truckload of potato chips was eating them and handling it . The NP3 is pristine and always has been.

The Tanfo finish is actually quite rugged, I carried it for years and it doesn't scratch, and the finish on "proud metal" parts doesn't wear off going in and out of holsters, it just collects dirt and always looks like crappenzola. If it were a safe queen or didn't get carried often, it would be a different thing, as I've seen some old ones that still look really good. 

Edited by gnappi

46 minutes ago, gnappi said:

I have NP3 on a Beretta 96G and a Tanfo compact in the "Wonder" finish. The Tanfo despite trying to keep it clean always looks like an ape with a truckload of potato chips was eating them and handling it . The NP3 is pristine and always has been.

The Tanfo finish is actually quite rugged, I carried it for years and it doesn't scratch, and the finish on "proud metal" parts doesn't wear off going in and out of holsters, it just collects dirt and always looks like crappenzola. If it were a safe queen or didn't get carried often, it would be a different thing, as I've seen some old ones that still look really good. 

This will be a HD gun, so not often in the most climate controlled of environments, will be practiced with a fair amount because of this, and will be a BBQ gun. None of my guns are safe queens since they're either cool and I want to play with them or are something I'll use for hunting [or both, of course].

7 hours ago, Pippu_Paladin said:

This will be a HD gun, so not often in the most climate controlled of environments, will be practiced with a fair amount because of this, and will be a BBQ gun. None of my guns are safe queens since they're either cool and I want to play with them or are something I'll use for hunting [or both, of course].

I live in south Florida with hot, humid, sweaty carry conditions and aside from the grit under a truck seat, or marine I can't imagine a more hostile environment. My Tanfo compact has been my EDC on and off swapping with a S&W 4026 since 1995 or so when I got it. It's still my EDC but with a "Stock" .40 slide. 

Other than the ugliness factor as I said the Tanfo finish is pretty good and if it doesn't bother the owner it's not a biggie. Some shooters obsess over condition and I think warts and all discussion sheds more light than heat on a discussion 🙂

tanfo_compact_40.jpg

tanfo_finish.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pippu_Paladin said:

Will an NP3 slide on a Wonder frame end up looking like an FDE FN Scar in terms of being two very different shades of silver/grey?

Gotta love the 50 shades of FDE!

2 minutes ago, BigAm said:

Gotta love the 50 shades of FDE!

I do like that look, but I think 3 is the threshold for similar colors, or having black and silver two-tone, But for this I was hoping for one[ish] color of silver and the blue grips.

I still want to see a hard chrome Stock III.  The bluing on them is kind of thin, if one of mine ever gets looking really ugly I might send it into CCR or Ford's or whoever does the best work for the HC treatment.

21 minutes ago, FALAR said:

I still want to see a hard chrome Stock III.  The bluing on them is kind of thin, if one of mine ever gets looking really ugly I might send it into CCR or Ford's or whoever does the best work for the HC treatment.

And I'd die for a Wonder Stock II. Full length smooth dust cover is such a nice look.

I always "wondered" about the Wonder Finish as well.  I see the same mixed reports---some saying it is durable as hell, others saying it sucks.  Then for whatever reason the only ones imported here are on the lower-end models.

1 hour ago, FALAR said:

I always "wondered" about the Wonder Finish as well.  I see the same mixed reports---some saying it is durable as hell, others saying it sucks.  Then for whatever reason the only ones imported here are on the lower-end models.

Tanfoglio makes higher-end Nickel-plated firearms?

Maybe, I don't know what all is available overseas.  I just said EAA is only importing lower end models with the wonder finish.  Maybe that is all that is available, it is hard to tell stateside.

Is Wonder Finish for sure nickel-plating?  It sure looks like electroless nickel to me but I've never seen anything firm on that.

I read this snippet on another site, supposedly gleaned from a Tanfo brochure...  but the word is that it's similar to tennifer or Ferritic nitrocarburizing

Wonder finish is Tangfoglio's heat treating process for steel. It is not plating, so it will not separate from the base metal. This heat treating process increases the surface hardness, thus decreasing wear, and increasing abrasion resistance. The Wonder finish process creates a self lubricating, corrosion resistant barrier between the surface of the pistol and the underlying metal that is over 12 microns deep. It maintains the superior characteristics of iron carbon steel for rigidty and durability with the look and corrosion resistance of stainless steel.

Edited by gnappi

I had read that before too, that it was more like a surface treatment than a coating.  If so, that is pretty unique as any nitrocarburized finish I've seen is black.

21 hours ago, Pippu_Paladin said:

Tanfoglio makes higher-end Nickel-plated firearms?

Check out the Stock III in this video that they export to Canada:

The bluing on that Xtreme looks REALLY nice too compared to any other blued Tanfoglio I've seen.

Yeah, no interest in their laws but how much better would it be if they (Tanfoglio) just had a stateside operation instead of a partnership with an importer?

We'd have access to the whole catalog.

Edited by FALAR