Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig mpx pcc or JP gmr

I’m going to get into PCC and I was wondering what you guys would recommend the sig mpx or the JP gmr. Just got into shooting 3 months ago and I’m loving it and wish I would’ve got into it a lot sooner. Right now I shoot idpa and uspsa ssp pistol and pcc looks like a lot of fun. Is the new mpx reliable? 

25 minutes ago, NastyNate said:

I’m going to get into PCC and I was wondering what you guys would recommend the sig mpx or the JP gmr. Just got into shooting 3 months ago and I’m loving it and wish I would’ve got into it a lot sooner. Right now I shoot idpa and uspsa ssp pistol and pcc looks like a lot of fun. Is the new mpx reliable? 

My 2 cents

JP is built like a tank

MPX is built like a race car

Both go the same speed

I have a MPX and prefer it. Its a Gen 2. I keep it clean and it runs 100% with factory ammo, wolf steal cased cheap ammo or my reloads.

I have a MPX competition and my brother has a GMR13. Shot them both back to back and it’s a tough call on which is “better”.  It may be a factor of what’s available as there was a very recent post about not being able to source a Sig MPX competition.  Not sure about GMRs

I love the MPX. They can be finicky at times as they’re a maintenance nightmare.  Rob from ILWT suggested if I want it to run 100%, clean it every 1000 rounds. The gas system is a PITA but it is what it is. 

I’m currently building a Maxamundi replica PCC as a backup. I’m sure the differences will be inconclusive at my shooting ability.

All of that said, I 100% agree with chillywig’s statement 

If you're using factory ammo, the MPX is better.  It is just smoother and feels like a BB gun.  If you reload, and can tailor your loads to the gun, the JP can be made to feel just as smooth.  I dont reload, and I like the MPX better. 

IMHO If you want the most laughs and smiles get the MPX, there's nothing out there that is as soft and nerf-gun like. What makes the MPX cool is how it operates, it's drastically different than a blowback gun. And I'd only really recommend the newer/newest MPX PCC model, as it has been 100% reliable for me with a minor/lazy cleaning regime and shooting lots of rounds. That said, I had a Gen 1 MPX and it was a finicky PIA and I hated it, and there are plenty of guys that have had lots of headaches with the Gen 2 models... Sig doesn't call the newer models a "Gen 3", but they changed a lot of different little things from the earlier models and really ought to. IMO they were, in sad typical Sig-fashion these days, using their consumers as beta testers for a few years to get the latest MPX there...

Really you just need to decide if you want to go MPX or blowback? not necessarily GMR-15.

There isn't really anything special about the JP's (besides their build quality and price tag), they're still simple blowback guns that use Glock mags. The Silent Captured Spring System they use which allows being able to play with weights and springs is really their only special feature, but you can buy that feature separately and drop it into pretty much any blowback AR-based PCC you want... and their system isn't the only game in town, there are top level shooters using a few different variations of buffer components to get the guns to behave how they want.

To me, the GMR-15 is overpriced. While nice, it's still just a blowback AR9. But if owning the best build quality and "name" out there is worth it to you, then they're worth it. But, design-wise it still is a compromise because it's using less than ideal mags for the platform and there's nothing elegant or bleeding edge at all about the operating system.

I still lose to them frequently with my slick modern MPX lol hahahaha...

9 minutes ago, sousa said:

If you're using factory ammo, the MPX is better.  It is just smoother and feels like a BB gun.  If you reload, and can tailor your loads to the gun, the JP can be made to feel just as smooth.  I dont reload, and I like the MPX better. 

I second this. 

3 hours ago, NastyNate said:

JP by far. The JP will run darn near forever without issues. In the past 4 years my JP's have filled in for all sorts of other broken PCC's. They've been loaned out to shooters at matches, run multiple shooters, loaned out at booths during matches, it just doesn't matter. 

I've had fantastic results with mine. Tuning the system with the short stroke SCS I'm able to get an exceptionally soft recoil impulse with factory or any ammo. Accuracy is awesome as well if you're thinking about doing any cross over multigun / carbine matches. 

8 hours ago, NastyNate said:

I'm totally biased - GMR-15 owner.  I shoot with 1 other guy with a JP and a couple with MPXs - although I don't know if they are "new" or not. While 4 rifles is hardly a statistically significant group, the JPs run 100%, the Sigs do not, although failures are very rare.  Could be many other variables too. 

That being said, the reasons (in order of importance for me) I chose the JP over everything else are:

1. It always goes bang - I have 4000+ rounds through it.  Zero failures.  Others have way more
  2. Glock mags - many choices - up to 51 rounds - reliably (Goliath +20)
  3. More non-proprietary stuff - mostly AR compatible - stocks, triggers, etc. 
  4. Less plastic - I'm not really sure this is true - but it seems like it to me.     

You really can't go wrong with either - good luck.  

Another vote for MPX. I have a gen 2 8” SBR (main gun) and a new MPX PCC Competition model as a backup. Aside from the bad extractor which was replaced with the PCC model extractor on the Gen 2, it has been trouble for over 12K rounds. I still have to use the Competition model in a match since the gen 2 has been reliable so far. 

I used my reloads of 4.1 Gr of sport Pistol with PD 124 Gr JHP for my MPX.

You should probably define what better means to you. 

I own a GMR-15, a Gen 2 MPX and a MPX PCC.  I don't think it matters one bit which I bring to a match as to how I finish.  They go about their business differently but that is just the nature of their designs.  My Gen 2 became quite finicky after about 10K rounds.  My PCC has run like a champ and is actually softer shooting than my Gen 2.  My short stroked and tuned JP is dead nuts reliable, beautifully built and accurate.  It is also infinitely easier to clean.  It is certainly the easier PCC to own and you will get better resale should that day come.  The MPX is probably more fun to shoot just because of its non-existent recoil.  I run 145-150pf out of the PCC and it is noticeably softer than my JP at 130ish.  

I would say pick what of those attributes is important to you and be guided by that.  

5 hours ago, Neomet said:

You should probably define what better means to you. 

I own a GMR-15, a Gen 2 MPX and a MPX PCC.  I don't think it matters one bit which I bring to a match as to how I finish.  They go about their business differently but that is just the nature of their designs.  My Gen 2 became quite finicky after about 10K rounds.  My PCC has run like a champ and is actually softer shooting than my Gen 2.  My short stroked and tuned JP is dead nuts reliable, beautifully built and accurate.  It is also infinitely easier to clean.  It is certainly the easier PCC to own and you will get better resale should that day come.  The MPX is probably more fun to shoot just because of its non-existent recoil.  I run 145-150pf out of the PCC and it is noticeably softer than my JP at 130ish.  

I would say pick what of those attributes is important to you and be guided by that.  

I also have both.

The mpx is so fun to shoot, but cleaning is more important and about 3 times more work. I don't think at my level it makes any difference to scores (A class) as long as gun runs reliably.

I have had issues with reliability with JP when using Goliath mag extensions, polymer bullets, and short stroking. I think I got resolved by cleaning up mag body transition and follower.

Mpx had reliability issues until I upgraded extractor.

At this point both guns run.

Edited by PocketPistol

I recently had the same decision to make, between the two same guns.  After talking with all of the regular PCC shooters at my club, I opted for the GMR 15, but don't honestly feel either would be a bad choice.   My son and I have both shot competitively for years, and we travel to a fair amount of matches. One edge the JP had, for me, was the reputation for reliability. Though the latest Sig's seem to also be very reliable, the platform overall didn't seem to have the long term reputation of the JP's.  Especially if I travel to a match, I don't like it when a malfunction costs me enough time to change my standing, which they almost always do.  I am a fan of Sig's, one of my regular carry guns is a Sig.

Another edge the JP had, for me, was easy parts availability.  The lower being designed for Glock mags, and the easy availability of Glock mags and multiple choices with regard to basepads was also a plus. 

I reload, and tailoring a load to work a comp well, and work well with a firearm is part of the overall fun.  If I didn't reload I think I may have favored the latest Sig PCC.  

John Paul and the folks at JP post some great video's and do a lot to support the shooting sports.  I know Sig also does a lot of sponsorships and great things as well, but to me JP feels a bit more grass roots and home grown.  

Folks I talked to that own both guns, or have owned both, unanimously said that neither gun would hold anyone back, or make an appreciable difference as long as both guns run well.  You have two great choices, which is a great luxury.   Either way it's doubtful you will have any meaningful regrets. 

I have both GMR 13, and MPX SBR.  It depends on your preference.  MPX mags and reloading can be tricky, as GMR has standard glock mags.  GMR has tons of options for aftermarket, as does the MPX, but as far as customization/tuneability, GMR wins all day.  Both guns shoot amazing.  MPX is more of a maintenance pig, as the GMR will run dirty.  I have had to change a few extractor springs on MPX already, as I have done nothing besides shoot and clean the GMR.  Just a few thoughts....

The JP is the way to go for me. I had a Gen 1 MPX and I loved it for one match until I hated it after one match. The Gen 1's had to be very clean to run properly but it was a soft shooter. I moved to the JP and never looked back. I wanted a heavier PCC, coming from open I was just use to a heavy gun.

You will be happy with which ever one you buy. I would point out that the mag prices maybe something you should take into account.

The Mpx shoots better than any other pcc I’ve ever shot and I like to shoot a lot.

Recently snagged 4th place with an 80% at a major with my almost stock MPX PCC.

I zeroed a 32 round stage due to ammo and pretty much goofed off after that.

The gun will never bold you back if it is working correctly.

I can’t say the same about any blowback ar; although - the Limcat Tron looks VERY intriguing.

Edited by Whoops!
On 5/28/2020 at 1:29 PM, ck1 said:

IMHO If you want the most laughs and smiles get the MPX, there's nothing out there that is as soft and nerf-gun like. What makes the MPX cool is how it operates, it's drastically different than a blowback gun. And I'd only really recommend the newer/newest MPX PCC model, as it has been 100% reliable for me with a minor/lazy cleaning regime and shooting lots of rounds. That said, I had a Gen 1 MPX and it was a finicky PIA and I hated it, and there are plenty of guys that have had lots of headaches with the Gen 2 models... Sig doesn't call the newer models a "Gen 3", but they changed a lot of different little things from the earlier models and really ought to. IMO they were, in sad typical Sig-fashion these days, using their consumers as beta testers for a few years to get the latest MPX there...

This 100%.  I've got both a Gen 2 and a Gen 3.  The Gen 2 was great for me, but it took a fair bit of money on top of the purchase price.  Trigger, ILWT barrel & handguard, etc.  The Gen 3 is stock other than a magwell, and has run flawlessly for over 7000 rounds with only standard maintenance.  Took a class this last weekend with Max L and after all of us put 2000+ rounds down range over 2 days my Gen 3 was the only gun without a single flaw.  

I clean everything but the gas system every other match (around 400-500 rounds), and the gas piston every 1000 just like on the Gen 2.  I did *not* clean the gas system Saturday night after the first day of class and the gun still ran flawlessly the next day, so I may get lazy and push that out to 2000 rounds.  It only takes a minute to dismount the barrel and pull the piston out, but I'm fundamentally lazy.  🙂

It is annoying that the first two generations had issues, but at least they did finally put out a version that's a great competition gun right out of the box.  The 4.5 lb Timney doesn't give as fast a split as the Hiperfire Eclipse in my gen 2 (16ms vs 12ms), but I'm nowhere near good enough as an A shooter to really take advantage of that.  

Edited by NervousEnergy