Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 and Carry optics

2 hours ago, Desk-Jockey said:

What shooting I do is in production and I can tell you it sucks to have to do 5 mag changes to get through a busy stage

And that is exactly why I started in Limited.  Now I shoot Open major.  More fun and sometimes no mag changes.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

This topic was discussed on the Area 8 facebook page, and someone mentioned that it was going to be brought up at the February BOD meeting.  Does anyone have a link to that announcement, or any other details?  It seems like RUMINT and I can't find anything about it no matter how hard I look.

1 hour ago, UpYoursPal said:

This topic was discussed on the Area 8 facebook page, and someone mentioned that it was going to be brought up at the February BOD meeting.  Does anyone have a link to that announcement, or any other details?  It seems like RUMINT and I can't find anything about it no matter how hard I look.

Last year when area 2 DIrector made a motion to discuss single action triggers for carry optics it didn't even get a second. 

It will not happen.

Folding SS into production sounds like a good move, but then you'd have to bring 8 rounds Major PF into production too.  That would give .40 and 45 striker and DASA pistols a home to play in finally. There are plenty of those out there, like the CZ97, compact 40s, etc.   A 1911-only division seems sacred, but sentiment alone can't make a division worthwhile.  From a pragmatic view, I see no downsides to folding SS in to production and allowing 8 round major.  I would be far more likely to shoot the division, actually.   

While 2011s in CO would change the look of the division, I don't think it would make a bit of difference to the results.  Right now I rarely ever shoot Prod or CO, so I have nothing to lose if the tweaks were detrimental.  

On 5/29/2020 at 7:23 PM, shred said:

Put a 3lb trigger pull limit for SAO guns and drive on, I say.  Would be heavier than most of the gamer DA-in-name-only triggers these days.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:26 PM, Jeremyc_1999 said:

That’s a good idea 

I respectifully disagree and here's why.  Who is going to check trigger weight at a Level 1 match? They have a tough time checking trigger weights in the NRA Service Rifle matches, which must be done and a colored sticker (different color for each match) placed on your trigger guard before you can go on the firing line.  Do we REALLY want that as a requirment before the start of a match?  Jeeze, we have enough issues with gamers shooting sub-minor ammunition in L1. 

Leave Walmart Open (CO) alone.

BC

3 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

IDPA is not the place to copy anything from.

How did you determine that the balance of our sport won't be affected?

By watching and participating in these matches long enough to figure out that match performance has more to do with the person behind the gun, not the weight or action of the trigger pull.

6 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

How does that improve the sport?

What do ss competitors want?

I will tell you what competitors want....

I was a production shooter for a long time. I still love the division; however, I no longer shoot it.

It used to be the most competitive and popular division. Now there are 3 people show up (used to be 30+) at the local match. There are 2 people shooting SS as well. There was a section match in Florida in December with ZERO production shooters. Does not that show what competitors want?

We have too many divisions with the equipment rules that no longer make sense. It is diluting competition and ultimately kills it. So at this point I see no problem allowing 2011 in CO as well as combining Production and SS. 

Edited by cheby

45 minutes ago, RJH said:

As a single stack shooter, I love the idea of single stack, production, and L10 being thrown together. Make them all eight major 10 minor and be done

I love single stack and wish there was enough participation  everwhere to keep it separate. But at this point I think it would be interesting to combine it with production and limited 10. If you have the 8 major 10 minor rule.  The 8 vs 10 is a pretty good compromise to decide between and be competitive. People with 45 cal glocks and m&ps could shoot either. But would it end up being dominated by 2011 shooters? Would enough of them move to this division to matter?

1 hour ago, RJH said:

As a single stack shooter, I love the idea of single stack, production, and L10 being thrown together. Make them all eight major 10 minor and be done

As a Production shooter, I don't like the idea of adding major scoring to Production. 

Clearly they can't make everyone happy with division rules...

i think there is an option in Practiscore Competitor App where select divisions can be merged together.

If that option was available to a match director then they could publish those results in both original format and with two/more divisions combined together.

The rules stay as they are but MD's could show both sets of results if they chose to depending on demand.