Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Flea

Need Holster Draw Help

In Ben S's Dryfire Reloaded book, he breaks down the draw into two micro drills: 0.4 seconds to get your hands from your sides to getting your shooting hand on the gun and your support hand into your normal position to receive the gun, and then 0.5 seconds par time to go from the end of the prior position to getting a good sight picture on a target 7 yards away. 

I seem to be near the par time for the first part of the draw but am having more difficulty with part two. Any tips on how to speed up the second part (other than do it 25,000 times)?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

I can't clearly visualize where hands and gun are in step 1.

My regimen is:

1. Hands at side, then hand on gun, lift from holster to essentially low ready both hands on gun. 

2. Start at low ready, (gun gripped for firing at roughly 45 degrees)  lift, acquire sight picture and fire

The reason is only one range I shoot at allows drawing and then only in two dedicated, walled, armored booths which are often occupied.

I have no issues at any range giving me a problem shooting from low ready, but practicing at home #1 for the most part allowing that muscle memory at live fire will connect the two. I've trained many students this method who had very limited access to any range and they agreed that these two steps really helped them out. 

Oh, without a BANG, I also can't see how to time your drawing practice

Edited by gnappi

11 hours ago, Flea said:

Any tips on how to speed up the second part (other than do it 25,000 times)?

Do it 10,000 times

Not being a smart ass

17 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Do it 10,000 times

Not being a smart ass

You are, but it's funny 🙂

What's the difficult part? Is it getting a solid grip or just getting the gun on target?

If your grip is solid and it's just taking too long to get the gun on target the I would recommend taking a video from a few different angles to look at the speed as well as try to look for any wasted movements. They key is speed and efficiently, so even if you're fast but add in extra movement, your times will suffer.

5 hours ago, gnappi said:

You are, but it's funny 🙂

No, I'm not.  I'm dead serious.  There's no substitute for mileage.

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

No, I'm not.  I'm dead serious.  There's no substitute for mileage.

Agreed but lowering it from the dreaded 25k to 10k made that statement clear (I hope) to the OP. AND it was funny 🙂

I work on my draw everyday. I work on low ready, hands above shoulders. I do at least 50-100 everyday. Yes I have change how I a grip the gun, how set my weak hand from when I started. You must try techniques till you find what works for you. I feel the first shoot is the most important shoot. If you start with a bad grip then it is in your head and you are playing chance up with your grip.