Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark IV 22/45 Slide Latch

nhglyn

Just bought a new Mark IV 22/45 Lite pistol for me and to teach my 11 year old grandson how to handle and shoot a firearm.  Great gun but the slide latch is hard to push down, especially for an 11 year old.  With the bolt locked back and a mag inserted it takes quite a bit of effort to release the slide latch.  Is this sort of normal for this handgun?  Will it "break in" and smooth out with use?  Can you polish surfaces to make it release easier?  Any information and tips appreciated.

Just bought a new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite pistol (22 LR) for me and to teach my 11 year old grandson how to handle and shoot a firearm.  Great gun but the slide latch is hard to push down, especially for an 11 year old.  With the bolt locked back and a mag inserted it takes quite a bit of effort to release the slide latch.  Is this sort of normal for this handgun?  Will it "break in" and smooth out with use?  Can you polish surfaces to make it release easier?  Any information and tips appreciated.

Edited by nhglyn

The wife and I have them and they are pretty tough like you said. It will get a little bit easier the more you shoot it but not really noticeable. You best bet is to get one of the handles that go on the back of the bolt so your grandson can slingshot it. There's a few different styles, one is a ring, one is a cone looking thing. 

It's not meant to be a slide release on the 22/45.  You should pull the bolt back and release it to get your round in.  It states so in the manual.  I tried like the dickens to use it as a slide release until I read this in the Rimfire Central Forum.