Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex viper vs. Burris

jstagn

51 minutes ago, missed it by that much said:

Not sure about the Burris. But I have several vortex 6 moa and they're all bright with lifetime warranty.

don't know the stats on burris, but the viper has the lowest dot relative to the optic base of a handful or two of optics i got the specs on.  for me, low dot = closer to normal iron sight height = easier for me to pick up the dot vs the ones that sit up higher.  i unfortunately had to use the warranty card on one of my vipers.  sounds like they just replaced it.  on the way back to me roughly a week after i put it in the mailbox to them.  no excuses, no bs.

I have no personal experience with the Viper, but six of my shooting buddies use them.  Five have gone back to the factory for repairs.  One guy had to send his back three times.  He bought a spare so he could shoot while the other unit was being repaired.  It does seem the latest version of the Viper solved problems.  He was give the newer version after the third time and it is still working.

I have lots of experience with the Burris FF3.  I have five of them in 8 MOA.  The oldest went 40,000 rounds slide mounted on one of my 1911 45 pistols.  At 40,000 the plastic cover over the diode hole cracked and fell off.  The sight still worked fine.  I called Burris to see if there was any harm in continuing to shoot it that way.  They insisted I send it in.  They replaced it with a new one.  Two of the remaining are also slide mounted on guns, and they continue to work.  Batteries last seemingly forever, and the dot is bright.

BTW, I'm not knocking the Viper.  I've had to send two C-More RTS2v4s back for repairs and one Leupold DPP, so no one is immune.

Edited by zzt

I've run both the Venom and the FF3... I just had a FF3 get intermittent on me, so I sent it back and it's in the process of warranty replacement.

None of my Venoms have had an issue so far.

I think they're both about equal.  Find whichever you get a better deal on.

Bought a viper for my wife’s MKIV 22 and couldn’t get enough adjustment. Sent it back only to find out that I wasn’t loosening the lock screws enough. Felt like an idiot but thought one turn out should have been enough. Anyway quick turnaround, friendly service and it works great. 

6 hours ago, Farmer said:

Bought a viper for my wife’s MKIV 22 and couldn’t get enough adjustment. Sent it back only to find out that I wasn’t loosening the lock screws enough. Felt like an idiot but thought one turn out should have been enough. Anyway quick turnaround, friendly service and it works great. 

Yes, the Viper does have an adjustment lock and the battery has to be changed from underneath so you have to rezero the gun after a battery change (not that that happens all that often).

The Venom has standard click adjustments and the battery compartment is on top.  It's a bit more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure the venom and burris fastfire 3 are made in the same factory, so it's more about shape of the frame than any other difference.

The viper's dot is more red than the orange dot on the venom - I slightly prefer the red, but the viper has an issue where you can see dot flicker when it's not at full brightness.

You might want to keep an eye out for the fastfire 4, coming out later this year.