Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS Vista Short or STI Steel Master ?

Rasmilling

I am on the market for a open gun, to be used in Steel Challenge and IPSC. My plan is to run minor ammunition (no need for major in Steel Challenge, and i dont want to be running different loads). 

I got my eyes on a new SPS Vista Short or an used STI Steel Master. They are around the same price, 25.000DKK ~ 3.600 USD. Which is also my limit. 

But i am not sure if i should go for a new (and cheaper) gun or a used (but better quality) gun. 

What are you guys thoughts? 

5DE38650-A925-47D9-87E4-C3830FA198D3.jpeg.579429e0c623cd63aee0028876eb43a9.jpeg

3B6E1A8A-45F3-4753-BDA1-28BA50707617.jpeg.d9615f037093b9cca4bc7c03e877ef31.jpeg

7974B466-4E0A-445A-B23C-6B039D329E8A.jpeg.3b85a53f2c42a08ee3a73240df1377dc.jpeg

I have been running a Vista Short with both major and minor loads for more than a year. I changed the extractor, ejector and firing pin and have shot 8-10k rounds with very few issues. I ran some 130pf loads thru it today to check POI before a 3 gun match this weekend. When I shoot USPSA I run 170pf JHP's. The gun is still very tight and smooth. I put a Holosun 510C with an Atlas mount and it has been rock solid. 

12 hours ago, hump said:

I have been running a Vista Short with both major and minor loads for more than a year. I changed the extractor, ejector and firing pin and have shot 8-10k rounds with very few issues. I ran some 130pf loads thru it today to check POI before a 3 gun match this weekend. When I shoot USPSA I run 170pf JHP's. The gun is still very tight and smooth. I put a Holosun 510C with an Atlas mount and it has been rock solid. 

How many rounds have you got trough it? 

iIf he were to be willing to spend $3600 on a steel master, why not go new on one of those?  It is sad to see STI sell out to the John Wick kids, but that particular gun may suit his needs.  The next alternative it an Atlas for $6200.  Def not worth it. 

18 minutes ago, NOSHMJ said:

iIf he were to be willing to spend $3600 on a steel master, why not go new on one of those?  It is sad to see STI sell out to the John Wick kids, but that particular gun may suit his needs.  The next alternative it an Atlas for $6200.  Def not worth it. 

It is because he is in Denmark.  the $4300 stuccato will prob be $7000. 

2 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

For just a little more you can go brand new with one of these. 

The old one has a chance in hell of running, and may have been built back when STI made their name on decent quality guns.

I’d wager 3 new guns out of 4 go back to the mothership for warranty work within 6 months, and none of them will probably live to  50k rounds without replacing a major part.

If your local range has a few guys who’ve bought DVCs or Staccatos, you’ve seen the same thing. I’m sure other can back me up.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

55 minutes ago, Rasmilling said:

So... STI isnt any better than the SPS? 

How are your thoughts on a Bul SAS II Shorty? 

I checked out the web page for info on the SPS. Says it has life time service contract for the original owner. That sounds good! It also say uses ammo 160+PF so might what to confirm it would work with a different recoil spring for minor ammo

1 hour ago, Chillywig said:

I checked out the web page for info on the SPS. Says it has life time service contract for the original owner. That sounds good! It also say uses ammo 160+PF so might what to confirm it would work with a different recoil spring for minor ammo

I run the same spring in my SPS for 170pf and 135pf ammo. The ejection is weaker but function is 100%. I use a 9lb spring.

the vista are great guns mines in 38 super have about 5k on it atm haven't had any problems so far super tight and mine is fitted right doesn't locked up on the link or any of that stuff

9 hours ago, NOSHMJ said:

I have an atlas for sale 5200 with 4 mags holster belt and pouches.  How bout dat!

Price is not the major factor here - it is availability of spares.

Deal with a company that does not have to cope with restrictive Government Departments.

As you are in Europe I suggest that you would get spares from Spain far easier than from the USA.

If this is not the case then you have some serious problems.