Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The indoor range by my house opened... ...it ain't pretty (pic's)

ysrracer

The indoor range by my house opened, and I went down. I had one side to myself.

They've been closed for two months.

Have I used the time to dry-fire? NO
Have I used the time to reload ammo? NO
Have I used the time to park my fat ass on the couch? YES

I was shooting my double action only revolver at SEVEN ****ING YARDS. it wasn't pretty

IMG_20200526_123211941.jpg

Edited by ysrracer

13 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

Looks like a happy face with chicken pox! Lol

Full disclosure, I shoot a Krieghoff K-80 in sporting clays (shotgun game) but unfortunately this was my 627 revolver :)

On one hand you didn’t mention if you were shooting groups or at speed.  And you didn’t have anything on the target to aim at.  My wife has taken over our training regimen.  We now always shoot groups whenever we go to the range.  Very helpful 

2 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

On one hand you didn’t mention if you were shooting groups or at speed.  And you didn’t have anything on the target to aim at.  My wife has taken over our training regimen.  We now always shoot groups whenever we go to the range.  Very helpful 

Groups or speed? Which one makes me look better in this post?

:)

Well... those would mostly be Alpha's on a Classic target so I'm saying good shooting! 👍

(we'll just say you were doing a doubles drill)

Edited by WFargo

• 2 weeks later...

Running at a short target is about how your platform is working, not about the sights. Running a trigger at full speed is the sights returning before you complete the next double action stroke, you're waiting on yourself, but you also don't have time to correct anything because your finger is at full speed. When I practiced at that distance I could usually dig a golf ball sized hole at seven yards, which was the bounce and chaos of my finger coupled with how good my platform had been trained at the time. Put the sight on the target and let loose, if the sight isn't bouncing back into the same spot you have to work on the whole body platform rather than sights or trigger work. If you throw five good and one bad, then trigger work. 

Essentially you have an expectation of results at different ranges. Without practice that expectation widens as you go farther, as is only logical. With practice it narrows. But this is only when you are running your hands at their maximum speed, because you've decided that you don't have time to refine anything between shots. Perfectly valid in the game and there are plenty of opportunities where you can go max speed.

The big point: with practice your max speed doesn't become faster, it just becomes relevant at longer distances.

Edited by MattInTheHat