Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

speedloader for 9mm STI 2011 magazines

horseman

I have been using an uplula for 10 years worked on everything I have including the .40 STI magazines. Converted to 9mm with new STI 9mm mags and the darn uplula gets hung up on the down stroke loading a round. I figured my uplula was worn some causing the problem. No. A brand new uplula has exactly the same problem.  So what will work in the STI 9mm doublestack mags?

Yeah, I filed a bit on my original and made it worse. I thought the top of the feedlips were getting jammed. Nope. I think the magazine is seated too deeply allowing the mag to jam on the front of the uplula on the down stroke. I think adding material to the uplula would work but how to do that. As an old guy I would just like one that works. Not my cobbled up abortion. 

Edited by horseman
make more clear I hope

I have two different Uplula loaders that I have used extensively on 10 different 9mm Gen1 STI 2011 magazines without a single problem , so it appear the Gen1 (both 40 and 9mm) might be good to go, and the issue is with the changes in the newer magazines.

Grasping at straws here, but perhaps a call to the people that make the Uplula?

13 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

STI Gen 2 tubes do this. No other tube does. 

that's my experience.  if i 'release' it quickly after each cartridge it works pretty good or at least good enough that i'm not going to mess with it.

There was a USPSA Front Site article on this issue and a mod.   Most certainly referenced someplace on this forum on where to modify. I have done this mod and used the  uplula mag loader hundreds of times with my gen 2 STI mags.

if I find the reference, I will post it.  A search of the entire site would also produce it.

Mike

31 minutes ago, molson said:

There was a USPSA Front Site article on this issue and a mod.   Most certainly referenced someplace on this forum on where to modify. I have done this mod and used the  uplula mag loader hundreds of times with my gen 2 STI mags.

if I find the reference, I will post it.  A search of the entire site would also produce it.

Mike

Here it is

Page 5, 5th post

I expanded the yoke and STI Gen2 mags now load without problems.  You can see where it sticks, so just remove material there.  It is 5 minutes work, tops.